burty1

Luke Voit 2018 Outlook

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, secretagentman said:

First off, there are few teams that can afford Machado.  One is the Dodgers and they have Corey Seager coming back and Justin Turner at 3b.  Boston has Bogaerts at SS. The really is no team with that type of money that is likely to have a SS spot open outside of maybe Cubs and the Angels depending on what they want to do there.  I just do not see Machado having much of a choice as to SS vs 3rd if he wants to play for a top contender.  And besides, as we all know, he is a much better 3b than SS anyway, so he is sort of hurting his value by insisting on playing what is perceived as his weaker position.

The Phillies want Machado and have the most money to spend and are the most under the luxury tax of any major market team in baseball right now.  They also have an opening at SS as well since JP Crawford is basically a bust and Kingery may end up at 3B once he grows into a major league caliber player in a year or two.  Though the Phils would be happy to kick Franco to the curb for Manny if Machado wants 3B again as well.  But yeah they will promise Manny SS 100% to sign him.

Manny also said he wanted to play back here in the east so unless he has bonded with the west coast since that statement which was AFTER he was on the Dodgers for several weeks, I see the Phils as the number one contender for his services.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

The Dodgers could move Seager to 2nd and leave Machado at SS. It might be better for Seager healthwise as 2nd would be easier on his shoulder and hips.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

The Phillies want Machado and have the most money to spend and are the most under the luxury tax of any major market team in baseball right now.  They also have an opening at SS as well since JP Crawford is basically a bust and Kingery may end up at 3B once he grows into a major league caliber player in a year or two.  Though the Phils would be happy to kick Franco to the curb for Manny if Machado wants 3B again as well.  But yeah they will promise Manny SS 100% to sign him.

Manny also said he wanted to play back here in the east so unless he has bonded with the west coast since that statement which was AFTER he was on the Dodgers for several weeks, I see the Phils as the number one contender for his services.

machado going to the yankees is a pipe dream

i agree the phillies make a ton of sense

realistically i think the yanks roll with what they have no, andujar 3rd...voit/bird first (unless voit is traded) and a utl infielder like torryes or heceveria to be a defensive replacement for andujar late in games.  left field will probably be stanton and/or clint frazier (if healthy).  if they spend money i can see them going for a patrick corbin to be a number 2/3 behind severino and tanaka.

1 hour ago, secretagentman said:

A lot of Pop??? He hit 20 Hrs this year and is basically a 20-25 HR guy.  Not terrible, but he has been on the decline for a number of years and had a sub 800 OPS this season.  And he stole all of 14 while being caught 9 times (a terrible percentage) so his speed days are more or less over as well.

Not a terrible player, but hardly worth a long term commitment imo.  And even mediocre OFs get 15M a year these days.  Only way he comes cheap is if no one wants to sign him, which I think is unlikely though you never know.

20 HRs playing in ballparks that allow the lowest amount of them.  That's nothing to sneeze at.  And 20-25 HRs with a .350 OBP also nothing to sneeze at.

Also talking about his "decline" is pretty ridiculous.  Sure he's not putting up MVP numbers anymore, but he's still one of the best OF in baseball.  Which is something you have to understand.

That's enough about McCutchen in Luke Voit's thread.  Yankees are very interested in bringing Cutch back, as they should be, end of discussion.

If Yankees lose this series, its because of their SP.  I can see Yankees throwing money at an SP or two this offseason, but I cant imagine them spending a ton of money to add another slugger. The job should be Voit's barring a trade. They have Voit and Bird is cheap insurance, he could always bounce back.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

If Yankees lose this series, its because of their SP.  I can see Yankees throwing money at an SP or two this offseason, but I cant imagine them spending a ton of money to add another slugger. The job should be Voit's barring a trade. They have Voit and Bird is cheap insurance, he could always bounce back.

No chance anyone plays 1B next season other than Voit. He's the man in New York. Will he have a 187 wRC+ over a whole season? No, but he'll be real solid piece next season.

1 hour ago, brockpapersizer said:

i cant get Shelley Duncan out of my head when i think of luke voit tho.