summersoff7

Structuring Rosters to eliminate stacking players/games in H2H

Part of the frustration in H2H is playing maybe 26 games and the other guy plays about 32, 6 more than you which tips some of the categories in his favor.  How do you commissioners deal with this when setting the rosters at start-up?

This is the main reason I focus on efficiency cats every year. Unlike other cats FG & FT can’t be lost because you’re being outplayed.

This is big in the playoffs where every single game matters, especially now that we have so much worries about rest/injuries

• Like 2

In my league we have a ratio of roster size/game limit that makes the max game limit relatively obtainable if all weekly transactions are used.

11 hours ago, FantasyBallFan said:

Unlike other cats FG & FT can’t be lost because you’re being outplayed.

Why not? Last season I had 6th result of 20 teams at FG% category, but still my regular season record in H2H was 9 wins, 11 losses. If your team average FG% is 48 and opponent has 45, you can quite easily lost to him, if he have good and you have bad week. It happens every year and therefore I don't focus on efficiency cats. What benefit gives me decent efficiency, if I don't win even 50% weeks!?

58 minutes ago, apatas said:

Why not? Last season I had 6th result of 20 teams at FG% category, but still my regular season record in H2H was 9 wins, 11 losses. If your team average FG% is 48 and opponent has 45, you can quite easily lost to him, if he have good and you have bad week. It happens every year and therefore I don't focus on efficiency cats. What benefit gives me decent efficiency, if I don't win even 50% weeks!?

Think you misunderstood my post because I said you can't lose those two specific categories due to being outplayed. In no way am I saying you will win your matchup, or you can't lose Fg or Ft on any given week. To your point about having 6th ranked fg% and not winning 50% of the time that's simply bad luck and inconsistencies from your team and your opponent, which can happen in any category.

Edited by FantasyBallFan
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, FantasyBallFan said:

Think you misunderstood my post because I said you can't lose those two specific categories due to being outplayed. In no way am I saying you will win your matchup, or you can't lose Fg or Ft on any given week. To your point about having 6th ranked fg% and not winning 50% of the time that's simply bad luck and inconsistencies from your team and your opponent, which can happen in any category.

I don't think he understood your point.

I follow the same approach - loading up on FG/FT is a pretty useful strategy in H2H.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, apatas said:

The point is that FG and FT don't rely on raw numbers. They are averages.

So let's say you have 5 games played in a week, and your opponent has 10 (small sample size to make it easier to follow)

If your guys make 25/50 FG and 9/10 FT = 50% FG and 90% FT

And your opponents guys make 45/100 FG and 15/20 = 45% FG and 75% FT

Therefore even if your team plays less overall games, you at least win the % based stats. Since your guys play less, you probably also won TO that week in a 9 cat. You probably lose in pts, reb and ast that week just by way of those counting stats being easy enough to fill up.

So you win FG, FT, TO

Opponent wins Pts, Reb, Ast

Hopefully if you have good stocks and 3 pt guys, or the opponent doesn't have a lot of those categories, you can still get a win for the week.

Edited by SirMixalot
  • Like 1

On 8/27/2018 at 7:22 AM, FantasyBallFan said:

No, I understood, but I just wanted to say that weeks with different numbers of games is not for me convincing reason to focus efficiency stats. You maybe not believe and anyone has is own experience and various stats from Fantasy game, but I have played many years and almost always a player who is the best in points, rebounds, assists category get at least 16-17 wins from 20, but player who is the best in FG and FT%, get only 13-14 wins. It means in H2H when you are best overall in so-called big-number-cats (PTS, REB, AST), you also win these categories, but being the best in FG% is not enough. Of course many others here can have some opposite experience, but after studying all my league stats I decided to concentrate on big categories.

Play weekly leagues and don't play daily leagues. You can still maximize your games played but if you are playing 9 vs 9 you may not be playing your best 9 guys because maybe a better player is playing 3 games and a lesser player is playing 4 games. Weekly leagues eliminate that stupid streaming and both teams start out equal. True that you can't replace anyone who gets injured during the week. That to me is the only downside.

Also if you have a 13 man roster and 3 of your players are injured - In daily leagues you would be playing 10 players vs 13 players. If both teams are fairly equal in talent the team with 13 players will have a definite advantage in total games played and will probably win......In weekly leagues with the same 13 vs 10 you would start 9 vs 9 or 8 vs 8 or whatever. Total games played would be fairly equal or at least close.

Weekly Leagues are better in my opinion. A lot of fantasy players like the daily because - I don't know - Maybe they feel like they are "coaching" their team more. To me daily is kind of a waste of time. Most players play every other day so I feel like I'm benching half the team and putting in the other half every day. Every day. Every day. ?

11 hours ago, dino10k said:

Also if you have a 13 man roster and 3 of your players are injured - In daily leagues you would be playing 10 players vs 13 players. If both teams are fairly equal in talent the team with 13 players will have a definite advantage in total games played and will probably win......In weekly leagues with the same 13 vs 10 you would start 9 vs 9 or 8 vs 8 or whatever. Total games played would be fairly equal or at least close.

Weekly Leagues are better in my opinion. A lot of fantasy players like the daily because - I don't know - Maybe they feel like they are "coaching" their team more. To me daily is kind of a waste of time. Most players play every other day so I feel like I'm benching half the team and putting in the other half every day. Every day. Every day. ?

there are 2 IR spots

This is why I think H2H makes no sense in basketball. It's fine in football when everyone plays one game a week. You only need a backup for bye weeks.

In basketball, a FA that plays 4 games can be streamed in and be more valuable than an early round stud that only plays 2.

So my answer is, play roto.

Edited by deadshot

7 minutes ago, deadshot said:

This is why I think H2H makes no sense in basketball. It's fine in football when everyone plays one game a week. You only need a backup for bye weeks.

In basketball, a FA that plays 4 games can be streamed in and be more valuable than an early round stud that only plays 2.

So my answer is, play roto.

Funny, your reason for disliking H2H is one of the reasons I strongly prefer H2H (#1 being the increased options for team building and success).

The fact that bench and role players are important is a good thing, to me.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jay14bay said:

Funny, your reason for disliking H2H is one of the reasons I strongly prefer H2H (#1 being the increased options for team building and success).

The fact that bench and role players are important is a good thing, to me.

Yeah, H2H has its benefits, as I really like the strategy around focusing on certain categories and punting others.