jtbgator

Matthew Stafford 2018 Outlook

Wasn't able to find a thread, so starting a new one.

Remember when Stafford's durability was a giant concern? The 30-year-old passer hasn't missed a game since 2010. During that seven-year span of health, Stafford has posted six top-nine fantasy campaigns, which includes seventh in 2017. Stafford finished no lower than ninth in pass attempts and yards each of those seven years and has averaged 28.1 passing touchdowns in that span. To Stafford's benefit, Detroit operates one of the league's pass-heaviest offenses, having called pass at least 65 percent of the time during each of OC Jim Bob Cooter's three seasons. Stafford will work behind one of the league's best offensive lines and will be throwing to a strong trio of wide receivers in Golden Tate, Marvin Jones Jr. and Kenny Golladay. Stafford is a high-floor, back-end QB1 option.

1 minute ago, jtbgator said:

Wasn't able to find a thread, so starting a new one.

Remember when Stafford's durability was a giant concern? The 30-year-old passer hasn't missed a game since 2010. During that seven-year span of health, Stafford has posted six top-nine fantasy campaigns, which includes seventh in 2017. Stafford finished no lower than ninth in pass attempts and yards each of those seven years and has averaged 28.1 passing touchdowns in that span. To Stafford's benefit, Detroit operates one of the league's pass-heaviest offenses, having called pass at least 65 percent of the time during each of OC Jim Bob Cooter's three seasons. Stafford will work behind one of the league's best offensive lines and will be throwing to a strong trio of wide receivers in Golden Tate, Marvin Jones Jr. and Kenny Golladay. Stafford is a high-floor, back-end QB1 option.

I'd really like to get me a share of Brady or Watson if I can; I like taking my shots at getting the top QB at a reasonable price. After that, I think Stafford is the guy that I'd want the most, and if you're one of the myriad people that waits until the last second to take a QB, go get him as your QB1. He's going a little later than he should imo, a rarity for QBs. The Lions will have an above-average offense this year, the line looks about as good as it ever has for Stafford, and their running game is still not looking like anything to write home about. Think he could easily be a top half QB1.

Just now, jtbgator said:

I took Ben first (round 12) then got Stafford (round 15). I'm thinking I may start Stafford over Ben.

It's QBs so you'll probably be streaming them to an extent, but I imagine you'll be starting Stafford more than Ben.

• Like 1

The weird thing is, he threw 29 TDS and besides Tate and Marvin I can't even remember who else caught some. Bring in Luke Wilson who was actually pretty efficient in the red zone for Seattle even though everyone is claiming him to be a blocker....  plus the offensive line and what should be a better running game. I don't know if the run game and Blount hurt his value or help for red zone TDs, but he's probably the deepest QB I like after the top tier. Problem is he usually goes round 5-6 this year.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, A27K said:

The weird thing is, he threw 29 TDS and besides Tate and Marvin I can't even remember who else caught some. Bring in Luke Wilson who was actually pretty efficient in the red zone for Seattle even though everyone is claiming him to be a blocker....  plus the offensive line and what should be a better running game. I don't know if the run game and Blount hurt his value or help for red zone TDs, but he's probably the deepest QB I like after the top tier. Problem is he usually goes round 5-6 this year.

His ADP is like 8th round. Nowhere near worth it in the 5th, and I won't take him in the 6th.

6 minutes ago, MJ10162 said:

His ADP is like 8th round. Nowhere near worth it in the 5th, and I won't take him in the 6th.

Er yeah sorry. He's been going like 9-10 in .5 PPR

• Like 1

Frank Ragnow as their 1st round draft pick has looked the part and was I believe PFF's highest rated Center to come out of the past 5 years. Wasn't a flashy pick but he's the real deal. Last year Lang and Wagner rotated being hurt on the right side and their franchise LT Decker was recovering from shoulder surgery for 8 games.. Throw in Blount and Kerryon & with some luck on the health front with that expensive right side of their O-Line, and Stafford is going to be playing with some perks he's never had before. The run game has been everything advertised and then some so far in preseason. 

The defense is looking bottom 10 again- decent secondary but D Line and LB is going to be a nightmare. All of this adds up in Stafford's favor. More stacked boxes from opposing defenses due to a newfound respect for an improved running game, as well as a subpar Lions defense to keep him in shootouts....

I am biased but if i get him as my QB1 around the 8th-9th round I will be happy, as I think he is setup for as much success as ever. 

• Like 3

Start Ben at home.

NEVER start Ben on the road.

The end.

16 minutes ago, jmausen said:

Start Ben at home.

NEVER start Ben on the road.

The end.

Interesting take on Stafford you got there.

I ended up taking him after every other team took a QB. He's a pick where you're not necessarily excited, but you're not entirely disappointed either. 

He's like a meal at Chili's. Dependable cheap and mildly satisfying.

• Haha 3

How can you feel comfortable starting him after that

Stafford will bounce back. Jim Bob still the OC. He'll make adjustments to protect Stafford. They slept on the Jets.

Edited by bigbluecrew56
  • Confused 1

How has this guy made the so much money being a mediocre QB with a losing record?

He was terrible tonight.  If they didn't have names on the jerseys you would think he was the rookie and Darnold the veteran.

32 minutes ago, CooL said:

How has this guy made the so much money being a mediocre QB with a losing record?

He was terrible tonight.  If they didn't have names on the jerseys you would think he was the rookie and Darnold the veteran.

Mediocre? Lol. Stafford has consistently been a top 10 qb in the league and one of the most clutch in the 4th quarter. 35k yards 216 tds in 9 seasons.

• Thanks 3

Just now, MillenWasmyFavorite said:

I am proud to say that I've seen the worst Detroit game in 30 years. 

#LIONS4LYFE

You do realize in 2008 the Lions went 0-16 the first time it ever happened in a 16 game season and they had a QB run out of the endzone for a safety. Tonight can't be the worst game you've seen and you should be used to it anyways.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

11 minutes ago, meekzy said:

Mediocre? Lol. Stafford has consistently been a top 10 qb in the league and one of the most clutch in the 4th quarter. 35k yards 216 tds in 9 seasons.

What's his win-loss record?  60-69.  Hardly the picture of success.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, affliction said:

How can you feel comfortable starting him after that

He usually bounces back after a meltdown game like that. He hasn’t thrown back-to-back multi-INT games in the last few years.  I think they expected to put the screws to the opposing rookie and run out the clock and they got caught sleeping. 

1 minute ago, CooL said:

Yeah cause the lions have been a great franchise right ? I forgot one player accounts for wins and losses on a 53 man roster, how's their defense been the last 9 years? Coaching staff? Running backs? Line? Oh right.. not great in any regard lol. The last decade stafford has been the one and only bright spot. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, CooL said:

Who cares about that stuff in fantasy football? He's been a model of consistency in "fantasy" football

Edited by bigbluecrew56
  • Like 2