FouLLine

Isaac Paredes - SS/3B DET

Isaac Paredes is slashing .330 / .416 / .470 for an .886 OPS as a 19 year old in AA.  Granted it's only a 35 game sample.  But what is really impressive is he has 17 BBs to only 20 Ks in that time.  Sporting a 12.88% BB% and a 15.15% K% in AA as a 19 year old.

Certainly someone to try and grab if he's still available in your dynasty league as the improvement he's shown is incredible.  Paredes has 14 hits, 4 doubles, and 2 HRs in his last 10 games.  He's hitting .389 over that span with 8 walks to only 5 strikeouts.  In his last 4 games Paredes has 7 hits, 3 doubles, 1 HR, 4 BB, 0 Ks.  

Also Detroit playing him over at 3B in AA may be a sign of them trying to fast track his bat (or maybe that he isn't going to stick at 3B?  He is 5'11" 225 pounds already).  Paredes is also hitting 3 hole for his AA team.

So while everyone is going goo-goo ga-ga over Bo Bichette, Royce Lewis, & Luis Urias; Isaac Paredes is still some what of a sleeper.  But it won't be for too much longer with how loud his bat has been in AA so far.

• Thanks 3

Thanks for making thread, this dude was due for it. I've been amazed how little pub he gets, but that will likely change going into list season next year!

Been tracking him for the past few months and from the clips I've seen I really like the swing with regards to his power continuing to develop. Most outlets seem to overlook him and say that despite being 19 in Double-A, he's moreso just average across the board with regards to tools. I like his potential as a hitter, the only real question is where he'll end up playing in the infield

Like Deivi Garcia he's getting some extra playoff action in The Eastern League.  Hoping we get to see these 19 year olds square off against one another.

I think Paredes is one of the most intriguing prospects in baseball.  He's severely underrated and isn't receiving enough hype and acclaim from the industry...at least ranking wise.

He's probably the best example of someone that can still be had for cheap that could be a fast riser into the top 20-25.  I don't really understand why he's not getting more attention.  Anyone have any ideas on why?  His body type doesn't look too impressive, but he sure looks like a guy that has a super bright future and a guy that could make a huge jump in the immediate future. 

• Like 2

I got him as a throw in last season in a deal and I hadn't done any research prior to obtaining him but I have since owning him.

Hes really got no speed to speak of, which is something you usually get from your MI spots. Cant speak to his body type or build, or defense for that matter, not sure what his future holds as far as where he plays in the bigs. But at 20 years old going into next season I can see him growing into 25 homers with a decent avg and obp. 

I expected a more meaningful rise up lists, but does not appear to be the case--for whatever reason (maybe some defensive concerns?)

Played all last season at 19 and in a tough league/park for most of year at HighA. Still managed (in 300 ABs) 12 HRs and nearly an .800 OPS there.

Then jumped up to AA and more than held his own in the Eastern League, slashing .321/.406/.458 over 39 games (19 BB to 21 K in 131 ABs), and proceeded tied a bow on his season with a strong showing in the Mexican Winter League. Played mostly SS but also mixed in plenty at 2B and 3B. Prob needs a full year split between AA and AAA (if he continues to pound AA as expected). This is a guy to nab in deeper formats, the bat, esp at MI should be exciting--nobody is standing in his way either.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ST. STEVEN said:

I expected a more meaningful rise up lists, but does not appear to be the case--for whatever reason (maybe some defensive concerns?)

Played all last season at 19 and in a tough league/park for most of year at HighA. Still managed (in 300 ABs) 12 HRs and nearly an .800 OPS there.

Then jumped up to AA and more than held his own in the Eastern League, slashing .321/.406/.458 over 39 games (19 BB to 21 K in 131 ABs), and proceeded tied a bow on his season with a strong showing in the Mexican Winter League. Played mostly SS but also mixed in plenty at 2B and 3B. Prob needs a full year split between AA and AAA (if he continues to pound AA as expected). This is a guy to nab in deeper formats, the bat, esp at MI should be exciting--nobody is standing in his way either.

I think body is the big knock on him, but does that really matter? I guess it does when people are ranking him on lists, but I think he's a top 65-70 prospect with the potential to jump more with a nice start to 2019.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, bigbossman said:

Probably. 

And greatness. 

I like it. What makes you think he's destined or greatness? I ask because I'm contemplating picking him up in a dynasty...

Just now, ThreadKiller said:

I like it. What makes you think he's destined or greatness? I ask because I'm contemplating picking him up in a dynasty...

His hit tool is off the charts good, by greatness I mean in fantasy and less so in real life due to average at best defensive abilities 

Solid month in and Paredes (20 yrs old all season) is getting by pretty good in AA. Always seems to find a way to get a hit, even if he's not slugging much at all in the cold Erie air. Hitting .267 with 11BB to 14K. I still really luv his hit tool and think he can slug enough to be a 2nd Div type of regular at 3B.

On 4/12/2019 at 3:50 PM, bigbossman said:

His hit tool is off the charts good, by greatness I mean in fantasy and less so in real life due to average at best defensive abilities 

What makes his hit tool so good? Is he expected to develop power? Just looking for a more advanced breakdown I suppose. @brockpapersizer, where you at? What's your take on this guy?

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, ThreadKiller said:

What makes his hit tool so good? Is he expected to develop power? Just looking for a more advanced breakdown I suppose. @brockpapersizer, where you at? What's your take on this guy?

His hit tool is advanced but I ended up dropping him today [....]...problem with Paredes is that he has a bad body and so tough to project him

39 minutes ago, bigbossman said:

His hit tool is advanced but I ended up dropping him today [...] problem with Paredes is that he has a bad body and so tough to project him

Yeah, I keep hearing about his hit tool but I’ve yet to see the results. He’s been on my watch list for a while but haven’t pulled the trigger.

Incrementally making adjustments...has had a solid month, slugging is slowly warming up and have to like that 24BB to 26K ratio for a 20 yr old in the Eastern League

• Like 1

On a bit of a heater lately, 8 game hit streak with multiple hits in 7 of them (3 hits in 3 of them)...

46BB/48K on the year for a kid playing in the Eastern league (AA) at a young 20 yrs old.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

On a bit of a heater lately, 8 game hit streak with multiple hits in 7 of them (3 hits in 3 of them)...

46BB/48K on the year for a kid playing in the Eastern league (AA) at a young 20 yrs old.

What’s a reasonable ETA for him?

Late 2020/early 2021?

11 minutes ago, Gobux1970 said:

What’s a reasonable ETA for him?

Late 2020/early 2021?

My guess would be a long camp look next ST and hope fun a hot start in AAA so he could get a look by next summer.

• Like 1

24 Post All-Star games for Isaac... triple slashing .348 / .423 / .500 he's starting to really get into his own after a slow start to the season.  Can't wait to see how the power grows in AAA.

Okay fellas Paredes gets a little lost in a stacked Detroit system but he an absolute stud with the bat.  This guy is a better hitter than Andres Gimenez, Isan Diaz, and Jazz Chisholm I like all 3 of these guys too so I'm not knocking them.  (Also for the record The Marlins are idiots for trading Gallen for Jazz especially with Isan crushing in AAA.)  Oh wait my bad Paredes got moved to 3B... So yeah he's a better hitter than Baty, India, and yeah even Bohm... Nolan Gorman & Nolan Jones make me hesitate in calling Paredes bat superior but Paredes could very well be the #1 3B prospect based on what he's been doing by next year.  It's at the point to where it's easier to say what prospects I'd rather have in dynasty over Paredes on the top 100 list and it isn't many guys outside of the top 20.

31 games Post All-Star Break numbers:  .353 / .430 / .479 for a .909 OPS in 118 ABs with 15 BBs and only 9 Ks!

Oh also he's 2 for 3 with a bomb tonight too so we'll have to update his 32 game Post All-Star numbers.

If this guy is available in your dynasty league go run and grab him there's little reason he shouldn't be a top 20 prospect upon updates (I know he'll probably break in at #53) he's a rocket ship already taking off and may hit the bigs before he even breaks the top 100 lists.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

On 8/14/2019 at 8:45 PM, FouLLine said:

Okay fellas Paredes gets a little lost in a stacked Detroit system but he an absolute stud with the bat.  This guy is a better hitter than Andres Gimenez, Isan Diaz, and Jazz Chisholm I like all 3 of these guys too so I'm not knocking them.  (Also for the record The Marlins are idiots for trading Gallen for Jazz especially with Isan crushing in AAA.)  Oh wait my bad Paredes got moved to 3B... So yeah he's a better hitter than Baty, India, and yeah even Bohm... Nolan Gorman & Nolan Jones make me hesitate in calling Paredes bat superior but Paredes could very well be the #1 3B prospect based on what he's been doing by next year.  It's at the point to where it's easier to say what prospects I'd rather have in dynasty over Paredes on the top 100 list and it isn't many guys outside of the top 20.

31 games Post All-Star Break numbers:  .353 / .430 / .479 for a .909 OPS in 118 ABs with 15 BBs and only 9 Ks!

Oh also he's 2 for 3 with a bomb tonight too so we'll have to update his 32 game Post All-Star numbers.

If this guy is available in your dynasty league go run and grab him there's little reason he shouldn't be a top 20 prospect upon updates (I know he'll probably break in at #53) he's a rocket ship already taking off and may hit the bigs before he even breaks the top 100 lists.

^Dang, that’s a lot of hype for a guy that’s still batting around .280 with a .420 slug and a  .780 ops for the year.  The numbers this year pretty much match up with his career numbers  of .275 avg/.420 slug/.780 ops. through 400 games 1500 at bats.  To say there aren’t many guys outside of the top 20 you’d rather have over Paredes is a stretch IMO. Even with the mention of his inflated post AS numbers, a .479 slug is meh IMO and not worthy of your label of “ absolute stud with the bat”.

Edited by Yourbettstulo
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Yourbettstulo said:

^Dang, that’s a lot of hype for a guy that’s still batting around .280 with a .420 slug and a  .780 ops for the year.  The numbers this year pretty much match up with his career numbers  of .275 avg/.420 slug/.780 ops. through 400 games 1500 at bats.  To say there aren’t many guys outside of the top 20 you’d rather have over Paredes is a stretch IMO. Even with the mention of his inflated post AS numbers, a .479 slug is meh IMO and not worthy of your label of “ absolute stud with the bat”.

Can't always just scout the stat line either though. He's always been young for the leagues he played in and certainly is the case this year, plus I believe it is more of a pitchers league than most. Hit tool is one of the hardest to evaluate, but scouts have always loved his barrel ability and loud contact...plus he has a innate feel for the strike zone.

• Like 1