B&F

September Closer Thread 2018

If anyone is wondering about Brandon Morrow - from a couple days ago 8/31 looks like mid-September return so really doesn't give him much time to be of use. 

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/ct-spt-cubs-brandon-morrow-20180831-story.html

I wonder if there's a decent chance that Strop just finishes out the season as the guy for the Cubs even if/when Morrow returns. 

Knebel back in Milwaukee, clean inning today, think he works his way back to closing?

Romo, Romo, wherefore art thou, Romo. 

Seriously, why is this dude MIA?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, blackbeard said:

No Romo :P

Seriously tho, maybe they have a start planned for him or its rotating committee now, frustrating

Yeah this is weird.  Now I have to decide whether to start him this week in one league or bench him in favor of Price who may start or he may not.  Think I will go with Price.

18 minutes ago, secretagentman said:

Yeah this is weird.  Now I have to decide whether to start him this week in one league or bench him in favor of Price who may start or he may not.  Think I will go with Price.

Good idea. No clue what's going on with Romo.

12 hours ago, wahoos1 said:

Knebel back in Milwaukee, clean inning today, think he works his way back to closing?

This. Is he worth the risk of picking up for the playoffs? 

2 hours ago, johnnyboy8102 said:

This. Is he worth the risk of picking up for the playoffs? 

All depends on your roster size and if you have any “expendable” roster spots to stash him just in case

On 9/1/2018 at 5:01 PM, street sharks said:

If he's not owned yet, Viz should probably be picked back up

Is he out until next Monday?

Thinking of punting Neshek.  Kapler seems to prefer the flamethrowers generally, and Hunter and Neris look pretty good ATM.  

What about usage of Boxberger last 3 outings?   Twice he didn't start the 9th.  He finished and got 2 outs, 4 straight K's.   Last night 2 walks then a sac, and he gets pulled.    Bradley lets both score and has been pretty bad for awhile.   Any thoughts going forward?  

Edited by Ratso1022

Bud Norris' ERA was 2.85 just 2 nights ago. It now sits at 3.60 after 2 horrible back to back blown SVs... Might be running out of gas & be Hicks time... Not sure what will come of Norris, but he's now shelled my ERA in back to back nights ?

• Like 2

22 hours ago, wahoos1 said:

i think Jeffress and Hader have that in control.   

Now Jansen is listed on Yahoo as D2D. 

Anyone know the scoop ?

19 minutes ago, tonywow said:

Now Jansen is listed on Yahoo as D2D. 

Anyone know the scoop ?

dodgers are thinking about resting him in their series in colorado since that is where he had the heart issue a few weeks ago bc of the elevation...

https://www.mlb.com/dodgers/news/kenley-jansen-may-miss-series-against-rockies/c-293208700

Edited by swingbatter
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

About damn time the Dodgers should have thought of that beforehand in the first place though 

I have no inside information, but I suspect there is more to the Romo issue than just matchups. Even when they've mixed and matched closers in the past, the Rays have utilized Romo in other roles. To not pitch for a full week is abnormal. 

I'm curious why Rays beat writers haven't asked or mentioned it. My guess is that either they're doing so out of respect for the situation, or they aren't very good at their jobs (unlikely?).