B&F

September Closer Thread 2018

Has there been any indication as to the Atlanta bullpen pecking order once Vizcaino returns? Has he been gone too long and Minter held his own or is this one of those "players should lose their role due to injury" sort of things? Haven't watched enough Braves this year to know what sort of management style Snitker has about these things.

1 hour ago, BleedRedsRed said:

Has there been any indication as to the Atlanta bullpen pecking order once Vizcaino returns? Has he been gone too long and Minter held his own or is this one of those "players should lose their role due to injury" sort of things? Haven't watched enough Braves this year to know what sort of management style Snitker has about these things.

I personally think he's going to be eased back into it relatively quickly if he pitches well out of the gate. I think they'll use him in a couple situations in the 7th and 8th innings for a few games. FWIW he had a scoreless inning in his rehab appearance yesterday.

He was really good before the injury compiling a 1.65era, 1.13whip, 34k's in 32.2 IP to go along with 15 saves. I think they're in a better position to win close games with Minter being a fireman/matchup guy for high leverage situations in the 7th/8th innings. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BleedRedsRed said:

I expect Atlanta will ease him back into things...  see how he handles a few lower/mid level leverage situations first  he'll have to demonstrate he's healthy.

I also think Minter will have to blow up another time or two in the meantime for him to concede the job.

So...  in short if I were betting I'd say he likely won't regain the role but it's certainly not a non-zero possibility.  I'd peg it at about a 25% chance.

Edited by LJJr

Bud Norris not available til Friday, well just great! This drip $hit is killing me lately

4 minutes ago, RolandoRoomes said:

Bud Norris not available til Friday, well just great! This drip $hit is killing me lately

Good.

Because everyone else is rooting for Hicks.

• Like 1

Jose Leclerc with another easy save and 2 K's. Dude is elite and young. He's a great buy low in keepers/dynasties right now or in this off-season.

So Robertson pitches in the 7th instead of closing the game out for NYY.  What gives??  Hasn't he closed the last few times?

3 hours ago, beauso79 said:

So Robertson pitches in the 7th instead of closing the game out for NYY.  What gives??  Hasn't he closed the last few times?

Betances got the last save opportunity and he would have last night too if they didn't score 2 more runs.  Robertson got the win, so I'm happy about that.  He may still get the occasional one.

10 hours ago, dkrocka said:

Smith, Leclerc, Minter, and Hicks. Thanks rotoworld for saving my bullpen

You mean rotoworld forums I assume? Huge difference...

• Like 3

11 hours ago, beauso79 said:

No.  Betances been closer last 4 of 5 times now.  As has been mentioned previously in this forum.     Robertson once, only because Betances was unavailable.   Betances seems to be de facto closer. As evidenced by usage. 

FYI: pitching top 9 of tie game = closer for this instance.   

Edited by Ratso1022

1 minute ago, abachar said:

Brandon Phillips just hit a ball a mile off of Minter.  Arodys is looming.

Not sure how Minter can hold on to the job after his recent outings. 

• Like 2

Jansen not traveling to Colorado, and as an owner in 3 money leagues, I’m not upset at all. 

If course I’m glad it’s prior to fantasy playoffs 

Edited by Ratso1022

1 hour ago, Zig Zag said:

Not sure how Minter can hold on to the job after his recent outings. 

yep dude hasn't been great for a bit now and has injuries or something. they need Viz back.

Can't be upset with Jansen, nothing to mess around with.  But man frustrating in weekly leagues on what to do with him! 

Not sure if this is already widely known, but Brandon Morrow will not be closing again for the Cubs this season according to Joe Maddon. Looks like Strop is the guy going forward.

• Thanks 2

Is Cody Allen a safe drop? No sign of save chances, he’s clearly the set-up man to Brad Hand now and for the rest of the season

Doolittle activated. How long before he is closing?

Re Allen, I dropped him a while ago. The saves are few and far between and not worth the ratio damage. I dropped him for Jeffress, who then was in a full committee but putting up strong ratios.