B&F

September Closer Thread 2018

4 hours ago, David Aames said:

is cmart the closer now?

As a Cards fan, my hunch would be yes. Hicks pitched the eighth today, and Norris is lost. Cmart has been good of late and is the veteran. Hicks blew a tie game this weekend. I say it’s Cmart for now. To be clear, this is just me saying it’s my best guess.

Brad Boxberger with a closing gift for owners.  Easily worst stuff of any arm pitching in save situations.  Just a horrific meaty 88-90 mph piped meatball and a changeup.  Incredible he lasted this long.  Note to next years closer thread do not roster this bum, he sucks.

Cardinals manager pretty much confirmed it on Carlos Martinez as closer:

Shildt said, “I think you can expect Carlos to get ... the ninth inning right now and Bud reshuffled.”

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/cardinals-notebook-martinez-takes-over-as-cardinals-closer/article_a0871dd3-a84e-5e0d-9128-85d4cdcd6752.html

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Caelum said:

Cardinals manager pretty much confirmed it on Carlos Martinez as closer:

Shildt said, “I think you can expect Carlos to get ... the ninth inning right now and Bud reshuffled.”

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/cardinals-notebook-martinez-takes-over-as-cardinals-closer/article_a0871dd3-a84e-5e0d-9128-85d4cdcd6752.html

Fantastic news.

Good move for Schildt to go to the vet.  Could see this is what they had in mind with his 2 inning performance the other day.

I dropped Blake Parker for cmart... Scoschia is a very frustrating manager. He pulled Parker yesterday and didn't use him earlier in the week with plenty of rest. Hopeful Martinez will get more consistent looks as long as he doesn't blow up 

So has everyone dropped Sir Anthony? I feel like all these managers are just trolling me at this point. I went from 6 closers to like 3 closers and 3 half closers.

• Like 2

Anyone still own Cody Allen? Rotoworld blurb mentions he and Hand will share saves moving forward but I think it’s 95% Hand, 5% Allen....

40 minutes ago, CuredMeats said:

Wily Peralta for the playoffs anyone? Home against the ChiSox for three and then four against Twinkies this week. 

Because he has SP eligibility I roll him out everyday unless I need the spot for a starter 

1 hour ago, CuredMeats said:

Wily Peralta for the playoffs anyone? Home against the ChiSox for three and then four against Twinkies this week. 

Has 1 save opportunity in like 12 weeks...i figure hes due.

• Like 1

I believe Allen only closed because Hand had thrown two innings the night before.

2 hours ago, CuredMeats said:

I'm starting him only because of those matchups. If there's a week to use him to get saves, I guess this would be the one, though I'm not excited given his recent performance (though his last inning was a 1-2-3 scoreless).

4 hours ago, bradwatson said:

So has everyone dropped Sir Anthony? I feel like all these managers are just trolling me at this point. I went from 6 closers to like 3 closers and 3 half closers.

Man I feel the exact same way it's like I've been playing whack a mole  at some crummy carnival chasing saves lately. I'm wondering the same thing too with Seranthony how does everyone else feel about him? I'm on the verge of dropping him and speculating on a new closer in Arizona myself. 

what are people doing with Romo?  thinking about dropping Box for him, but then i see he never pitches now? Even during TB's recent surge?  

4 hours ago, jeffr913 said:

Is Hildenberger still the guy in Minnesota? I see he got a win last night, but last save was 8/29

Yes, they harldy ever have a save that is why.  And they play the Yankees 4 times this week.

10 minutes ago, hoops886 said:

With Box out, Closer Monkey has Diekman listed as first and Ziegler 2nd of the closer by comity.  What are the thoughts here?

Gotta be honest, if I had to bet right now, I would go with door number 3:  Hirano.  Pitched for the Orix Buffaloes of Japan's Nippon Professional Baseball League and had 156 saves with a career 2.30 ERA.  If I am Lovullo, some past experience and his excellent numbers on the year might make him the guy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dirk's Digglers said:

Gotta be honest, if I had to bet right now, I would go with door number 3:  Hirano.  Pitched for the Orix Buffaloes of Japan's Nippon Professional Baseball League and had 156 saves with a career 2.30 ERA.  If I am Lovullo, some past experience and his excellent numbers on the year might make him the guy.

Yep I’m kinda on board with this.  Plus... do you really want to roster Diekman or Ziegler right now?

Edited by LJJr
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Csiebert5 said:

Jeffress over Knebel tonight.. another time share situation here going forward?

I think its still Jeffress. Knebel got the save this weekend after Jeffress pitched in back to back. I think its more likely Hader grabs a few multi-inning saves the rest of the way

Edited by jaybuhner

51 minutes ago, Csiebert5 said:

Jeffress over Knebel tonight.. another time share situation here going forward?

Jeffress is the closer.  Knebel only got a save bc Jeffress had the night off.