B&F

September Closer Thread 2018

5 hours ago, David Aames said:

any news on betances? wondering if they rest him so he can stop bleeding

At this point, there's no indication they are going to do so.  Do they do something eventually if he continues to cut himself open every game?  Maybe, but articles out there have given no indication they are doing anything but continuing on business as usual.

15 hours ago, mdpharm23 said:

Cody Allen to get the next save opp or is the job still Hand’s?

I can't imagine Hand losing the job after one blown save since arriving in Cleveland. He has give up 4 ER in his last 5.2 innings, but I think his leash will be longer. 

18 hours ago, jaybuhner said:

I think its still Jeffress. Knebel got the save this weekend after Jeffress pitched in back to back. I think its more likely Hader grabs a few multi-inning saves the rest of the way

18 hours ago, abachar said:

Jeffress is the closer.  Knebel only got a save bc Jeffress had the night off.

I am not so sure it is that simple. Knebel has been absolutely dominant since his return and he didn't lose his job all that long ago. I am thinking that Counsell just has multiple options now and maybe rest and matchups will play roles in his decisions. Time will tell, I suppose. 

• Like 1

so everyone thinking that the guard has changed from seranthony to hunter -- of course kapler brings in hunter today down 2 in the 7th to pitch 2 innings and he gives up another run and 4 H/1BB in 2 IP.   kapler is the ultimate troll when it comes to saves.  

Edited by swingbatter

1 hour ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

Looks like Allen will be used in the 9th again. 

He's also now pitched 6 innings in the last 8 days. Implosion will be coming any day now. 

Diekman in to protect a 6-3 lead at Coors. Set to face Cargo, Mcmahon and Wolters. 

12 minutes ago, DidiFan said:

Diekman in to protect a 6-3 lead at Coors. Set to face Cargo, Mcmahon and Wolters. 

Diekman then allowed 2 hits to CarGo and McMahon. In came Hirano to clean up the mess. K'd Iannetta, Desmond and got Blackmon to fly out to earn his 1st save. 

Apologies for the gameday thread type commentary but figured we could make use of it here. Anyways Hirano looks pretty good right now 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, DidiFan said:

Diekman then allowed 2 hits to CarGo and McMahon. In came Hirano to clean up the mess. K'd Iannetta, Desmond and got Blackmon to fly out to earn his 1st save. 

Apologies for the gameday thread type commentary but figured we could make use of it here. Anyways Hirano looks pretty good right now 

Apology not necessary in this thread. We need as many live updates as we can get.

• Like 1

Diaz giving up a run to the Padres after allowing a couple of batters on - in line for the loss

4 hours ago, itaos said:

Did Buttrey surpass Parker for closer? Scioscia... 

It's possible, but impossible to give any concrete prediction with Scioscia.  Buttrey has been good though.  His stuff has been cutting through opponents like but.... No, can't do it.... ;)

• Like 1

Will Smith has been wonderful but holy hell I'm starting to think the Giants legit may not win another game all year. On a 10 game L streak. Series with COL, SD x2 , LAD, STL to close out the year. Unless you could use the ratio help is anyone else thinking of cutting bait at this point? 

• Like 1

Romo absent again in a save situation, he lost his job i guess, for what reason i don't know, maybe they will use him as an opener again

5 minutes ago, azeri98 said:

Romo absent again in a save situation, he lost his job i guess, for what reason i don't know, maybe they will use him as an opener again

They know what Romo can do, trying out some of the younger players to see who they want for 2019.

1 minute ago, murraygd13 said:

They know what Romo can do, trying out some of the younger players to see who they want for 2019.

You could be right he is an FA, they probably won't sign him.

Hirano with a blown save now after getting his first save last night.  Walk off 2-run HR to DJ.

I'm seriously considering not even bothering to draft closers next season.  All they do is give up walk-offs anymore it seems...