phatrat

2018 Streaming Defense Thread

On 10/19/2018 at 12:59 AM, mjagger42 said:

Shew, my DST waiver wire is looking rough. I made the Chargers my top claim, missed out, and should've kept Colts as my No. 2 but didn't and they got jumped on quick. What's everyone thinking about the second and third tier choices? I've been agonizing over this for two days and I've resorted to hoping that someone drops a decent defense between now and Sunday that I see some upside in. Here's what's out there and what I'm thinking off the top of my head. What do you guys think?

Bills: If this was in Buffalo I'd love them. But Hilton's returned to practice, Mack looked good last week and Luck's been playing well. And I can picture Buffalo practically giving away 10-17 points just on stalled drives and field position. 

Patriots: They've been bad and the game's at Soldier Field. Allen Robinson may miss this game which would be a slight uptick. Khalil Mack's hobbled and they're also hurting at CB so the Patriots should put up a lot of points. A shootout or can Hoodie find a way to slow down Trubisky?

Cowboys: Another I'd consider if they were at home. Seems like they're a better "real life" defense than a fantasy defense and Alex Smith takes care of the ball pretty well with his patented dinks and dunks.

Dolphins: At home, but getting Stafford and Co. off a bye and the Lions suddenly have a nice run game. Not feeling too good about them.

Lions: Yet another I'd like on their home field. Osweiler will fall back to earth in a humiliating way at some point, but as mentioned in previous posts here, will the heat affect the Lions like it apparently did the Bears last week?

Bucs: God help me, I'm giving them strong consideration. I know nothing noteworthy about their defense, which has clearly been awful, but the players love this new defensive coordinator, it's in Tampa, the offense will score points and I think their run defense is actually pretty stout. And here's this about Baker Mayfield.

Years of regrettable roster management surrounded the rookie quarterback with a questionable supporting cast. He’s currently playing behind an offensive line that’s allowed him to be sacked on nearly 8 percent of his dropbacks — more than fellow rookies Sam Darnold or Josh Rosen. And while a budding running game is doing work to relieve the pressure from his shoulders, an ever-shrinking pocket is forcing him to rely on his receivers to step up and make the plays that will allow Mayfield to be his best self.

And that’s not happening.

The Cleveland receiving corps was shallow coming into the 2018 preseason. After six weeks, it may be the worst in the league. Offseason prize Jarvis Landry has proven himself worthy of the massive extension he signed in May, but he’s gotten little support from the rest of the targets on the Browns roster. Through six games, the former Dolphin has 27 more targets than any other wide receiver on the roster. Antonio Callaway, the rookie fourth-round pick who comes in second, has caught just 38.5 percent of the passes thrown his way.

Callaway is just part of the problem when it comes to frustrating misses. Cleveland’s targets dropped an amazing nine catches in Week 4’s overtime loss to the Raiders. The Browns as a whole have dropped 9.8 percent of Mayfield’s passes — by far the highest rate in the league.

It’s made the Cleveland passing attack easy to plan against. With no one else in the lineup to threaten opposing secondaries, opponents have double- and triple-teamed Landry in order to take him out of the equation. It’s worked; Mayfield targeted his top receiver nine times in Week 6’s loss to the Chargers. Landry finished his day with two catches for 11 yards — both season lows.

And help doesn’t appear to be on the way.

I know Mayfield had a good game against Baltimore two weeks ago (in Cleveland) and they'll be playing from behind this Sunday, but I don't really know if Tampa's secondary can stop anyone. But with the staff shakeup I find myself wanting to roll the dice on them. And I don't really like it.

Just curious what you guys think about the "other" DSTs this week. Chargers and Colts are long gone for most of us. 

Have similar options and I’m rolling with the bills.  Don’t love it, but hopefully the game is kept between the 20s and remains a relatively low scoring affair.  

Looking toward the future I think KC could turn into a legit weekly D. Eventually Justin Houston will be back. If Eric Berry is able to come back that would be huge. KC has been rumored to a possible trade for Patrick Peterson. I think there are going to be several games where KC is gonna win in a blow out creating positive game scripts. They play Denver who I think they will crush at home, Cardinals at home, and the Raiders in the next several weeks. Except for Arizona, Tennessee, and Buffalo, teams put up points no matter what Defense they play these days so I'm not concerned about KC allowing a bunch of points. I think they will have a ton of opportunities to create turnovers or get sacks. 

I don't mind playing them against the Bengals this week if your desperate.

If your league assignes negative points for points allowed you may not want to take this advice. In my league, the worst case is 0 points.

Edited by mongidig

What are the feeling about Jets D?  Thinking about picking them up since they have Buffalo/TN coming up, and first round of playoffs for FF is against BUF as well.

Bills , eagles or jets (minn scores points but there next 3 are chi, mia, and buff so don’t worry about bidding for them)

I am going to start doing the opposite of the thread. I am rolling with Bears this week to the tune of 5 sacks and a pick 6!

5 hours ago, jaysfansince2015 said:

Skins or Lions DST this week ? 

Skins. Very low confidence tho

not sure what to do. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kasimar1 said:

Browns (@ TB) or Lions (@ Mia with no Tannehill)

Detroit

Anyone rolling Carolina out vs Philly or should I find another option on my very scarce 14 team wire? Thanks!! 

Edited by KBird705

18 hours ago, mongidig said:

Looking toward the future I think KC could turn into a legit weekly D. Eventually Justin Houston will be back. If Eric Berry is able to come back that would be huge. KC has been rumored to a possible trade for Patrick Peterson. I think there are going to be several games where KC is gonna win in a blow out creating positive game scripts. They play Denver who I think they will crush at home, Cardinals at home, and the Raiders in the next several weeks. Except for Arizona, Tennessee, and Buffalo, teams put up points no matter what Defense they play these days so I'm not concerned about KC allowing a bunch of points. I think they will have a ton of opportunities to create turnovers or get sacks. 

I don't mind playing them against the Bengals this week if your desperate.

If your league assignes negative points for points allowed you may not want to take this advice. In my league, the worst case is 0 points.

thinking the same ... but you left out the best feature, provided your scoring is for D/ST ... 

On 10/19/2018 at 12:16 AM, Dr. Whom said:

Last time I use this thread...

ok, but ... was up in here last Thursday advocating for the Broncos, citing the fact that Arizona's o-line was down 2 starters (and @jtbgator posted the confirmation blurb)  - they were a points bonanza, prolly the highest scoring D/ST week of the year thus far.

1 minute ago, Magnum Dopus said:

Colts or Bears with the report of Patriots offensive lineman across Mack is injured?

Which NE offensive linemen? Hurt?

Just now, jtbgator said:

Which NE offensive linemen? Hurt?

Marcus Cannon I think? It was just reported on espn not sure but they said was the guy that lines up against Mack so he will be against a backup.

Colts if they are available they have 19 sacks tied for 5th best in the NFL, Derek Anderson was on vacation a week ago, plus he has 15 td 22 ints over his last 16 games.  Hasn't played since 2016 and had 2 games with 2 tds 5 ints.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

thinking the same ... but you left out the best feature, provided your scoring is for D/ST ... 

Do teams really kick to him anymore? You're right though, He is always a threat to take it to the house.

@herschel After debating this for days, I ended up going with Buffalo as well. I guess Anderson can't be any worse than what they've been trotting out at QB so hopefully he can at least sustain some drives.

Good luck to you guys. It was a tough week to stream.

• Like 1

Jets/Min, Dal/Was, Car/Phi and Det/Mia are looking like slower and lower scoring games... Personally liking the Jets and Lions this week

Thinking about picking up a defense for next week. Top choices are Steelers (vs. Browns) or 49ers (vs. Cardinals). I'm leaning towards the 49ers, simply because the Cardinals offense is absolutely terrible. 

Any thoughts?

Edited by The Frayed Ends of Fantasy

So much for the Bills D. Looks like they've given up. I'm not sure Anderson can get the ball past midfield, which was my big concern.

Hopefully not many of you guys made this mistake. 

Thinking ahead to next week........the Pats at the Bills is the obvious choice if they're available. Unfortunately for me they're not.

I did manage to pick up the Colts this week though, and it's looking like they'll be my best option again next week against the Raiders. Either them or the Cardinals against the 49ers.

Edited by Sartorialism
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Tenner said:

Skins. Very low confidence tho

not sure what to do. 

How bout that skins d:)

• Like 1