phatrat

2018 Streaming Defense Thread

1 hour ago, Idoolittle said:

I currently have MIN vs NO set in my lineup. Should I be streaming a DEF instead this week? Options include:

WAS @ NYG
SEA @ DET
ARI vs SF
SF @ ARI
PIT vs CLE
MIA vs HOU
etc.

Note this would be pending Michel/Breida being listed as "out" this week and thrown on my IR (which is probably more likely than not). If I don't stream a DEF I could pick up someone like Cobb, J. Richard, Barner, Ivory, etc.

After watching the browns game i'm thinking PIT vs CLE here is the best option 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, KennyWoo said:

I think this is a perfectly fine strategy.  There's risk starting a weak defensive unit on the road but let's look at Oakland's situation.  They've sucked all year and now their top two offensive players are gone.  Indy offense is going gangbusters which could mean a lead for them forcing Carr to try to throw a bunch.  Indy's pass rush could have a field day.

This. I want to play PIT WASH or KC but IND-OAK is juicy.

Really thinking to drop eagles defense for KC

Especially KC at home , and with maybe Hill returning a pint for a TD

Am I crazy?

Philly in my league format

Bottom 10 in points

5 hours ago, em33 said:

Pickup the Redskins if you can! The giants are a mess

Yup and they just traded Eli Apple there starting cornerback.

As bad as they are, they could flip there script any Sunday. They do have weapons but a multitude of things go wrong and it's contagious apparently

5 hours ago, GeoffByrne said:

With the Saints past their bye week and seemingly trying to bolster their defense, are they worth the add for down the stretch?

Eli Apple isn't going to make there defense that much better. As a Giants fan I'm glad to see him go. 

Last game 

He couldn't cover Julio Jones so he would make sure he would hold on to his Jersey so he wouldn't escape him!

He seems to have lots of blown and missed assignments. He wasn't worth the pick he was drafted in!

Edited by joed2323

8 hours ago, Finally Detroit Wins said:

KC. That offense puts up points in a hurry and forces team to play make mistakes while playing catch up. They also have very good match ups coming. 

But they’ve been putting points up in a hurry all season, and they don’t have that many good d/st games to show for it so far.

Keep in mind although the KC defense capitalized on the Jags with a TD and 5 turnovers, they still allowed over 500 yards  to what is one of the most questionable offenses in the league. Last week they had Cincinnati, not necessarily a consistent offense, and scraped away a good day with a TD. Those TDs aren’t coming every week, and I can easily see them going negative despite what seems like solid matchups. I’m not sold

Consider grabbing the Jets now. They have Miami in week 9 followed by Buffalo in week 10.  I've already stashed them in a league where I felt like I could afford to hold two defenses.  Of course Buffalo is the big prize but I feel like they can be played against Miami as well so if you're streaming you might as well just grab them now.

2 hours ago, KennyWoo said:

Consider grabbing the Jets now. They have Miami in week 9 followed by Buffalo in week 10.  I've already stashed them in a league where I felt like I could afford to hold two defenses.  Of course Buffalo is the big prize but I feel like they can be played against Miami as well so if you're streaming you might as well just grab them now.

That's my plan in one league. The Jets were just dropped so if i can pick them up off waivers i'll be streaming between them and the Chiefs for the next few weeks.

I'll likely be keeping 2 defenses on my roster for the rest of the season in this league. Ignoring the obvious options like the Patriots, the Lions (Week 14/15 vs Arizona & Buffalo), Jets (Week 14 vs Buffalo) and the Broncos (Week 14/15/16 vs 49ers, Browns, Raiders) are all worth thinking about if you can afford to stash.

11 hours ago, topshelf10 said:

Really thinking to drop eagles defense for KC

Especially KC at home , and with maybe Hill returning a pint for a TD

cheers, mate!  let's hope he's not too drunk, though ...

Related image

14 hours ago, em33 said:

Pickup the Redskins if you can! The giants are a mess

supposed to be some very windy conditions Sunday, as well ... tail end of a nasty Nor'Easter gonna be clearing out during the game ... another wrinkle to monitor, and a definite plus for the Indigenous People's D.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, oaklandy said:

But they’ve been putting points up in a hurry all season, and they don’t have that many good d/st games to show for it so far.

Week 1 @LAC  10

Week 2 - @PIT -3

Week 3: SF (with jimmy G) 4

Week 4: @Den 6

Week 5: Jax 22

Week 6 @NE 0

Week 7: Cin 14

Obviously im not playing them against high powered offenses but for the most part they’ve dominated when playing at Arrowhead. Lesser offense won’t be able to keep up also they have some pretty good matchups ahead for the next 3 straight weeks. I’ve paired them with Chicago and Philly in some leagues.

Week 8: Den

Week 9: @CLE

Week 10: Ari

Week 11: @LAR

Week 12: BYE

Week 13: @OAK

Week 14: BAL

Week 15: Lac 

Week 16: SEA

Edited by Finally Detroit Wins

I currently have Ram’s defense vs. GB, do I pick up the Redskin’s defense NYG or Eagle’s defense vs. Jaguars in the London game? Or am I overthinking?

Edited by Zuko

2 hours ago, Zuko said:

I currently have Ram’s defense vs. GB, do I pick up the Redskin’s defense NYG or Eagle’s defense vs. Jaguars in the London game? Or am I overthinking?

Id say go with redskins, i am over the ravens (easy choice, newton actually doesn't commit too many turnovers). The redskins are good on offense in terms of keeping the ball and the giants allow sacks and eli cant move. Limiting other teams offensive possessions and having a qb who doesnt move is always a good sign. I hate london games so id say redskins easy. Redskins D is pretty beastly this year

• Like 1

The more I think about this the more I think Kansas City is a three-week add and play.

When I'm looking at a D/ST I'm looking at three things: (1) overall ability to avoid allowing points; (2) sacks; and (3) schedule.  Sacks, in addition to being independently valuable in fantasy, often lead to fumbles and are indicative of pressuring the passer in general, which tends to lead to INTs.  KC is tied for 8th in the NFL in sacks.  KC is tied for 9th in the league in INTs.  

KC has allowed a lot of points, that's true.  But let's look at who they've played: at the Chargers, at Pittsburgh, at New England.  Those are good offenses and it's no surprise they gave up a ton of points to those.

Now they have Denver at home, at Cleveland, and Arizona at home.  Two of those are elite matchups and this week is passable.  The only question is this: are you willing to add KC now (because they'll be a hot commodity next week), possibly starting them this week in a decent matchup, or do you want to wait and pay big for them next week?

I'm going to add them this week and start them (dropping Indy, to give you a basis for comparison).

• Like 2

I would do CHI. Jacksonville is backed into a corner and they play well in london. Jets have been trash as of late

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Zak0221 said:

Thoughts on NE D rest of the year?  They get MIA, Buf X2 NYJX2 and Ten

IMO they're a D that I'd want to stream with another D, because they do have some rough matchups, including vs.GB next week, @PIT week 15,  vs.MIN week 13 and their BYE week 11. And aside from last weeks game against CHI where they got 2 TD's while giving up 31 pts, they've only had one other double digit point game (at least with the scoring settings in the leagues I'm in, vs.MIA week 4). But if you're planning for the playoffs, those week 14 and week 16 matchups look awfully nice (@MIA, vs.BUF respectively).