Sign in to follow this  
Szer0

Stevan Ridley 2018 Outlook

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, OmegaRed88 said:

Anyone got an argument for Ridley being a btetter play than Samuels going forward?

 

was actually looking over the last 4 weeks of PIT games, i'm starting to not like either guy.  we've all be lulled into PIT bellcow narratives but they haven't been that way for the last 4 weeks.  Conner more or less has been under projections since week 10 and if not for a couple of early GL looks this last week would have busted too.  i'm starting to see Blount and Riddick here and it pains me to say it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah I tend to agree.  

17 minutes ago, Panthor said:

 

was actually looking over the last 4 weeks of PIT games, i'm starting to not like either guy.  we've all be lulled into PIT bellcow narratives but they haven't been that way for the last 4 weeks.  Conner more or less has been under projections since week 10 and if not for a couple of early GL looks this last week would have busted too.  i'm starting to see Blount and Riddick here and it pains me to say it. 

 

Yeah I tend to agree.  The last 4 weeks have been pretty frustrating as a conner owner because of how pitt has ignored the running game.  I think if ben (Tomlin?) had his way they would throw every snap. If anything i think this just gives them more excuse to go further in that direction.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, OmegaRed88 said:

Anyone got an argument for Ridley being a btetter play than Samuels going forward?

 

Only way it could happen is if the Steelers decide to change their gameplan from a heavily pass-first team and decide to play more ball-control style offense.  

 

Right now, (if you trust what Tomlin is saying) it appears it will be a committee, which means Ridley and Samuels eat into each other’s value.  However, Tomlin has always favored workhorse backs in the past, and I wouldn’t be surprise in the least bit if one of the guys gets 80% of the work while Conner is on the shelf.

 

Which one will it be? It appears the leader in the clubhouse is Samuels right now, since he has been named the starter and his skill set seems to fit the offense they are currently running a bit better.  Question marks have to be brought up though since he’s never been in that role where he is utilized as a 15-carries per game RB.

 

Ridley is the less dynamic player, but especially in a good matchup where Pittsburgh is favored, he could be used to pound the rock down Oakland’s throats. He has filled that role before.

 

Bottom Line:  I don’t feel comfortable starting either RB this week, however, I personally think that one of them will finish as a top 15 RB against Oakland, and will provide startable RB2 value moving forward as long as Conner is out.

 

Best case is a wait and see approach if you can afford it.  If you were able to grab Samuels, I’d sure as hell want to own Ridley. Bench both this week, and I think you will have an RB2 (one way or another) that you can feel somewhat confident with next week.  I don’t expect it to be a 50/50 share like some are expecting right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, SkinsChargersFan said:

 

Only way it could happen is if the Steelers decide to change their gameplan from a heavily pass-first team and decide to play more ball-control style offense.  

 

Right now, (if you trust what Tomlin is saying) it appears it will be a committee, which means Ridley and Samuels eat into each other’s value.  However, Tomlin has always favored workhorse backs in the past, and I wouldn’t be surprise in the least bit if one of the guys gets 80% of the work while Conner is on the shelf.

 

Which one will it be? It appears the leader in the clubhouse is Samuels right now, since he has been named the starter and his skill set seems to fit the offense they are currently running a bit better.  Question marks have to be brought up though since he’s never been in that role where he is utilized as a 15-carries per game RB.

 

Ridley is the less dynamic player, but especially in a good matchup where Pittsburgh is favored, he could be used to pound the rock down Oakland’s throats. He has filled that role before.

 

Bottom Line:  I don’t feel comfortable starting either RB this week, however, I personally think that one of them will finish as a top 15 RB against Oakland, and will provide startable RB2 value moving forward as long as Conner is out.

 

Best case is a wait and see approach if you can afford it.  If you were able to grab Samuels, I’d sure as hell want to own Ridley. Bench both this week, and I think you will have an RB2 (one way or another) that you can feel somewhat confident with next week.  I don’t expect it to be a 50/50 share like some are expecting right now.

 

Or neither player is particularly productive and the more valuable one is the RB with the goalline opportunities, which could easily be Ridley.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Chwf3rd said:

 

Or neither player is particularly productive and the more valuable one is the RB with the goalline opportunities, which could easily be Ridley.

 

Very possible, along with Ben averaging 55 attempts ROS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, SkinsChargersFan said:

 

Only way it could happen is if the Steelers decide to change their gameplan from a heavily pass-first team and decide to play more ball-control style offense.  

 

What if they pass even more, and Ridley gets the goal line carries? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, dmb3684 said:

 

What if they pass even more, and Ridley gets the goal line carries? 

 

In that case I personally wouldn’t want to touch either player.  But if I had a hole in my lineup and had to fill it with one of the guys, I’d want to go with the guy who gets the most touches.  Ben likes to throw at the goal line anyway... wouldn’t want to depend on a short goalline plunge in the playoffs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, dmb3684 said:

 

What if they pass even more, and Ridley gets the goal line carries? 

 
Draft reports tend to question Samuels' ability as a pure running back... "only gets what's blocked," "speed and quickness are average," "doesn't show enough tenacity"

However, they also point out that he was an absolute beast at the goal-line in college, both in the passing game and the running game. Scouts seemed to be wary about him because he wasn't incredibly proficient at any one thing, but very good at many. Thing is, the ones he seems to be good at are catching balls and scoring touchdowns, which are kind of valuable. 

It actually sounds like the combo of Ridley/Samuels is going to work out really well for the Steelers, however it seems the best use is just as most astute people have already guessed - Ridley gets the grunt work between the 20s, Samuels gets the passing downs, 3rd downs and red zone work. Samuels doesn't have to be a bell-cow to produce, whereas Ridley is only going to be effective if they feed him consistent carries or he gets a goal-line attempt. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

makes sense, but why would ridley not get the goal line touches if he gets the grunt work between the 20's? goal line touches seem grunt-work-like

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, DekuTree said:

 
Draft reports tend to question Samuels' ability as a pure running back... "only gets what's blocked," "speed and quickness are average," "doesn't show enough tenacity"

However, they also point out that he was an absolute beast at the goal-line in college, both in the passing game and the running game. Scouts seemed to be wary about him because he wasn't incredibly proficient at any one thing, but very good at many. Thing is, the ones he seems to be good at are catching balls and scoring touchdowns, which are kind of valuable. 

It actually sounds like the combo of Ridley/Samuels is going to work out really well for the Steelers, however it seems the best use is just as most astute people have already guessed - Ridley gets the grunt work between the 20s, Samuels gets the passing downs, 3rd downs and red zone work. Samuels doesn't have to be a bell-cow to produce, whereas Ridley is only going to be effective if they feed him consistent carries or he gets a goal-line attempt. 

 

All we "know" is what Samuels said -- they will alternate packages. To me, that sounds like 'between the 20's' and GL carries will be divvied up based on who's turn it is.

 

A true committee...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, swetooth9 said:

makes sense, but why would ridley not get the goal line touches if he gets the grunt work between the 20's? goal line touches seem grunt-work-like

 

The Steelers run a lot of spread packages with Ben in the shotgun near the goal line.  Think about how Bell has been utilized down there over the years. 

 

Samuels might fit that role better, and like was mentioned above, scouts seemed to think red zone efficiency was one of his better traits coming into the league.  Some guys just have a knack for the end zone.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I mean last week Connor punched in scores from the 1 yard line twice.  Can Samuels do that? We will see

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, urban2014 said:

I mean last week Connor punched in scores from the 1 yard line twice.  Can Samuels do that? We will see

 

Yeah, but Conner was their everydown back and has proven to be versatile.  I’m not saying the Steelers will never run at the goalline.  

 

I’m just saying that they might want a more versatile RB down there since they tend to do a lot of different things, as opposed to lining up and pounding it up the middle 2-3 times like some teams do.

 

I don’t know how it’s going to play out, but I don’t really buy the belief that Ridley will always be the goal line back like the Titans do with Henry/Lewis.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, SkinsChargersFan said:

 

Yeah, but Conner was their everydown back and has proven to be versatile.  I’m not saying the Steelers will never run at the goalline.  

 

I’m just saying that they might want a more versatile RB down there since they tend to do a lot of different things, as opposed to lining up and pounding it up the middle 2-3 times like some teams do.

 

I don’t know how it’s going to play out, but I don’t really buy the belief that Ridley will always be the goal line back like the Titans do with Henry/Lewis.

Especially when Ridley/ Samuels are basically the same size 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/4/2018 at 11:30 PM, herschel said:

Everyone was all googoo for Ekeler two weeks ago and now Jackson is one of the top adds this week.  Could definitely see something similar with ridley.  Grab him now for free...

 

I took your advice. I knew I would not be able to get Samuels so I grabbed Ridley instead wondering and hoping he can rise up and prevail. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Funkenstein said:

Is anyone starting him today?  

 

I'm starting him in a 16-team league. It was between him and Dion Lewis, who already played on Thursday night and was a bust. Hoping for a goal line TD and at least 30 yards, which I think is a possibility against Oakland. 

 

Edited by Corleone

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, urban2014 said:

I can. but I gotta a bye

 

You have to a bye?

Edited by cnewbykkn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MurderInc said:

I wouldn't start him unless you're in a 14-16 team non-ppr league and desperate. 

 

I agree that this is the only scenario where Ridley is viable (and the exact situation I'm in). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not starting but holding for sure if at all possible to see how the workload shakes out, also possibility that Samuels gets injured (not hoping for this obviously)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jordan23 said:

Not starting but holding for sure if at all possible to see how the workload shakes out, also possibility that Samuels gets injured (not hoping for this obviously)

Definitely a hold for me.  You never know...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this