rage2021

Nikola Jokic 2018-19 Season Outlook

Jokic is a great player to build around because usually when you draft a big man in the first round you have to either punt assists or draft assists with your 2nd pick. But with Jokic and his great assists numbers, you don't have to target assists heavily in the 2nd and 3rd rounds and can focus on drafting the other stats you want to be good at! In one of my leagues i drafted Jokic, Drummond, Kyle Lowry with my first 3 picks which leaves me pretty strong in every category!

Joker or kahwai? 

Last year i had joker and it it was great 

but den millsap and Harris injured through out the season. 

Joker would put similar number. ?

In my I have solid drafter and if I go jokic 

i believe this people would be drafted on coming back 

westbrook 

embid 

simmion 

Damien 

Kyri 

PG 

VO

Kawhai 

so for me if I go joker then my option be 

butler 

wall

Beal

Jrue

booker 

CJ

So I have tough situation 

Any input ?

5 minutes ago, snroto said:

In my I have solid drafter and if I go jokic 

i believe this people would be drafted on coming back 

westbrook 

embid 

simmion 

Damien 

Kyri 

PG 

VO

Kawhai 

so for me if I go joker then my option be 

butler 

wall

Beal

Jrue

booker 

CJ

So I have tough situation 

Any input ?

Butler and re evaluate in round 3.

Draymond or Gobert and punt pts.

Jrue if you are risky only 2 years where he didn't miss lots of games or Wall but his knees are a concern.

Beal or CJ not a fan of in rnd 2 or a fan of pairing with Jokic.

Booker today no, but if you draft closer to the season and he looks good and recovered why not especially if they don't add a PG.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, turner46 said:

Butler and re evaluate in round 3.

Draymond or Gobert and punt pts.

Jrue if you are risky only 2 years where he didn't miss lots of games or Wall but his knees are a concern.

Beal or CJ not a fan of in rnd 2 or a fan of pairing with Jokic.

Booker today no, but if you draft closer to the season and he looks good and recovered why not especially if they don't add a PG.

I would want to get joker if I dont I will go with Kawhi I am sure Kawhi will have solid season and can pair him with butler and go efficient around 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, PaddyAustralia said:

Jokic is a great player to build around because usually when you draft a big man in the first round you have to either punt assists or draft assists with your 2nd pick. But with Jokic and his great assists numbers, you don't have to target assists heavily in the 2nd and 3rd rounds and can focus on drafting the other stats you want to be good at! In one of my leagues i drafted Jokic, Drummond, Kyle Lowry with my first 3 picks which leaves me pretty strong in every category!

If you draft a fairly normal F/C in the first round you don't have to decide to punt assists in the second round. This is a crazy concept that your first two picks force your hand to punt anything. The only picks you make in the first 2 rounds that force or so strongly negatively influence a category is Drummond and his FT%. The rest of it is can be compensated for throughout a draft. I am going to guess you play H2H, and that theory of punting early makes sense. In roto it never makes sense to punt based on your first or second round pick, unless you tank FT% with Drummond. I highly recommend not punting a category in 8 cat roto. 

The beauty of Jokic is that he allows you flexibility and provides a foundation in every category. In roto, I think the only player that doesn't pair well with him is Drummond. I think one of Jokic biggest strengths is his FT% and taking Drummond doesn't strengthen you enough in blocks to not go back to the well again later in the draft and you effectively negated Jokic's FT% advantage with that one pick. Personally, I think Gobert is the pairing you want to lock down blocks if you want to go that route. Gobert + Jokic gets you around 76% from the stripe and 3+ blocks. Drummond + Jokic takes you to 71% for 2.5 blocks. Wondering what your thought process was in pairing Drummond with Jokic and what your league settings are. Not trying to attack you in any way, just trying to understand your logic. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, thezing1 said:

If you draft a fairly normal F/C in the first round you don't have to decide to punt assists in the second round. This is a crazy concept that your first two picks force your hand to punt anything. The only picks you make in the first 2 rounds that force or so strongly negatively influence a category is Drummond and his FT%. The rest of it is can be compensated for throughout a draft. I am going to guess you play H2H, and that theory of punting early makes sense. In roto it never makes sense to punt based on your first or second round pick, unless you tank FT% with Drummond. I highly recommend not punting a category in 8 cat roto. 

The beauty of Jokic is that he allows you flexibility and provides a foundation in every category. In roto, I think the only player that doesn't pair well with him is Drummond. I think one of Jokic biggest strengths is his FT% and taking Drummond doesn't strengthen you enough in blocks to not go back to the well again later in the draft and you effectively negated Jokic's FT% advantage with that one pick. Personally, I think Gobert is the pairing you want to lock down blocks if you want to go that route. Gobert + Jokic gets you around 76% from the stripe and 3+ blocks. Drummond + Jokic takes you to 71% for 2.5 blocks. Wondering what your thought process was in pairing Drummond with Jokic and what your league settings are. Not trying to attack you in any way, just trying to understand your logic. 

Gobert was already taken my man :( However i guess Drummond also allows you to be more competitive in steals aswell! With the pick of lowry, that basically negates Drummonds ft% also. I would have much preferred Gobert and Jokic trust me!

2 hours ago, PaddyAustralia said:

Gobert was already taken my man :( However i guess Drummond also allows you to be more competitive in steals aswell! With the pick of lowry, that basically negates Drummonds ft% also. I would have much preferred Gobert and Jokic trust me!

That sucks....careful with that assumption. FT% is a completely different animal compared to FG%. The volume is so much less on FTs that it takes a lot of makes to compensate for misses. Also, the range is 50-90% with the target around 76-78% where FG% is about 40-60% with the target being 47-48%. Lowry + Drummond is about 70% FT, which in my experience would be dead last in the standings. You need a lot more than Lowry to level out for Drummond. Obviously, percentages change from year to year but so do the attempts. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, thezing1 said:

That sucks....careful with that assumption. FT% is a completely different animal compared to FG%. The volume is so much less on FTs that it takes a lot of makes to compensate for misses. Also, the range is 50-90% with the target around 76-78% where FG% is about 40-60% with the target being 47-48%. Lowry + Drummond is about 70% FT, which in my experience would be dead last in the standings. You need a lot more than Lowry to level out for Drummond. Obviously, percentages change from year to year but so do the attempts. 

Yeah for sure! With jokic it should be able to get to 75% and then i draft good ft shooting bigs and i should be fine! Like in my other draft i have Deandre Jordan but i also have 4 elite ft shooters in Lilliard, Mitchell, Walker and Porter Jr. It can be so hard to make up for a bad FT shooter on your team but hopefully these bigs can make a decent clip this year and give fantasy players like myself a sigh of relief haha!

18 hours ago, thezing1 said:

I have Jokic and CP3 as my keepers in a 12 team 9 cat H2H and you wanna tell me I shouldn’t punt points based on the fact the average scorer in those rounds is around 25+ and both of those guys are 19 or less? 

Id be forced to draft Harrison Barnes, Tobias Harris and Andrew Wiggins just to be competitive in points later in the draft and sacrifice more than 3 categories in the process 

17 minutes ago, JaydensGuys said:

I have Jokic and CP3 as my keepers in a 12 team 9 cat H2H and you wanna tell me I shouldn’t punt points based on the fact the average scorer in those rounds is around 25+ and both of those guys are 19 or less? 

Id be forced to draft Harrison Barnes, Tobias Harris and Andrew Wiggins just to be competitive in points later in the draft and sacrifice more than 3 categories in the process 

I am going to say you should re-read my post thoroughly. About half way through the first paragraph I wrote, "I am going to guess you play H2H, and that theory of punting early makes sense." 

Add some context to your league settings. Keeper league means almost all of the elite scorers are going to be kept. H2H I addressed in my initial post. There are no blanket statements across all league formats and you have to apply context of your league. 

Just had my draft (10-team, 8-cat roto). Got the Joker with my 1st round, 6th pick. I had an option to take Curry but I was feeling impulsive and decided to roll the dice on Jokic as I really think he can take a big leap this year. Paired him with Oladipo in the 2nd and Capela in the 3rd round so I think I have a solid foundation

• Like 1

4 hours ago, fabrar said:

Just had my draft (10-team, 8-cat roto). Got the Joker with my 1st round, 6th pick. I had an option to take Curry but I was feeling impulsive and decided to roll the dice on Jokic as I really think he can take a big leap this year. Paired him with Oladipo in the 2nd and Capela in the 3rd round so I think I have a solid foundation

That is a really solid foundation. I am knocking the Warriors down a bit across the board and I would probably take Jokic over Curry 98 out of 100 times. 

7 hours ago, fabrar said:

I think Jokic is top 4 pick in my opinion, so you got a steal! If he puts up the numbers they are predicting (20pts, 11rbds, 6.5assts, 1stl, 1blck, 2thrs, good %'s) he is easily a top 4 pick. I think he is an underrated fantasy player because of his points, but everything else he does is amazing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PaddyAustralia said:

I think Jokic is top 4 pick in my opinion, so you got a steal! If he puts up the numbers they are predicting (20pts, 11rbds, 6.5assts, 1stl, 1blck, 2thrs, good %'s) he is easily a top 4 pick. I think he is an underrated fantasy player because of his points, but everything else he does is amazing.

Yeah he doesn't score as much as everyone else in the top 10 but he provides great to excellent stats in literally every category and doesn't hurt you anywhere. 10+ boards, 6 assists, elite percentages and 1/1/1 - the more I think about it the more I love my pick lol

And he was avging 22 after the break last season so who knows - maybe he will crack the 20 ppg barrier this year for the whole year. 

• Haha 1

Jokic first month was terrible! I remember regretting picking him in the first round! But fortunately, stuck with him. Got me the championship last year! SOLID!

On 9/26/2018 at 5:30 AM, DrKalikot said:

Took him at 9th overall and paired him with PG. I had a choice of Butler-PG-Gobert-CP3 at the turn.

Good choice 

Picking 6th in 12 teamer so it's very likely I will be drafting jokic. Assuming PG and Embiid are gone at pick 19.. who is the best to pair with jokic in a balanced build between: Gobert, love, butler, kyrie, Middleton?

5 minutes ago, richg24 said:

Picking 6th in 12 teamer so it's very likely I will be drafting jokic. Assuming PG and Embiid are gone at pick 19.. who is the best to pair with jokic in a balanced build between: Gobert, love, butler, kyrie, Middleton?

I'd go with Butler. He'll give you a nice complement to Jokic's assists and boards, and help you strengthen scoring and steals. His percentages are excellent too to build on Jokic's efficiency. For reference, I paired Jokic with Oladipo in my 10-teamer draft and Dipo's stats are fairly similar to Jimmy's

• Like 1

6 hours ago, fabrar said:

I'd go with Butler. He'll give you a nice complement to Jokic's assists and boards, and help you strengthen scoring and steals. His percentages are excellent too to build on Jokic's efficiency. For reference, I paired Jokic with Oladipo in my 10-teamer draft and Dipo's stats are fairly similar to Jimmy's

I took dipo with Jokic instead of butler for health reasons. Butler probably has the edge if they both play 82 though.

• Like 1

I took CP3 and should have taken Butler. I was wanting to go with PG myself but he went a few picks before.

Edited by wildcat62

On 9/28/2018 at 9:40 AM, richg24 said:

I was in this exact position in an 8 cat league. Took Jokic at 6 and took Gobert in the second. From your list only Gobert, Love, and Middleton were optons. Honestly, Gobert was queued up for me all along so I was pretty stoked. Base to be elite in blocks, boards, FG% and you are still fine for a base in 3's, FT%, assists and steals since you have only taken 2 bigs and can get those in your G picks. Love and Jokic means you still have to go to the "bigs" well to address your blocks and you can only go to the "bigs" well so many times before your FT% gets compromised. And then you are spending a pick to address bigs and you miss out on assists. I like Love, a lot this year, but I think he works best with an AD pairing. Kyrie just scares me with injuries and the loaded team he is on. Butler is intriguing but the injuries turn me off. Middleton is a reach IMO. 

• Like 1

On 9/30/2018 at 12:17 AM, thezing1 said:

I was in this exact position in an 8 cat league. Took Jokic at 6 and took Gobert in the second. From your list only Gobert, Love, and Middleton were optons. Honestly, Gobert was queued up for me all along so I was pretty stoked. Base to be elite in blocks, boards, FG% and you are still fine for a base in 3's, FT%, assists and steals since you have only taken 2 bigs and can get those in your G picks. Love and Jokic means you still have to go to the "bigs" well to address your blocks and you can only go to the "bigs" well so many times before your FT% gets compromised. And then you are spending a pick to address bigs and you miss out on assists. I like Love, a lot this year, but I think he works best with an AD pairing. Kyrie just scares me with injuries and the loaded team he is on. Butler is intriguing but the injuries turn me off. Middleton is a reach IMO. 

Ok soooooooo

Kyrie scares u with injuries... but Love aka THE SOFTEST PLAYER IN THE LEAGUE doesn't ? That's just strange to me...

giphy.gif