iowncrazyhair

Devin Booker 2018-2019 Season Outlook

Hoping he sits for a while for 3 reasons: 1) he has been bothered by a hammy all season so let it heal properly, 2) so Bridges' usage can go up, and 3) so if Barton returns before Booker, I can buy low.

Great....

Devin Booker (left hamstring) is currently without an official timetable to return.

This is the second time this season that Booker will be recovering from a left hamstring injury, but he said he expects to sit out more games this time around. Booker originally injured his left hamstring on October 24 and proceeded to sit out the next three games, but with the Suns now sitting on a 4-19 record, there won't be any incentive to rush him back. Elie Okobo figures to start while he's out, and there will be more opportunity for guys like Mikal Bridges, Josh Jackson and Jamal Crawford.
Edited by izeroi

21 minutes ago, izeroi said:

Great....

Devin Booker (left hamstring) is currently without an official timetable to return.

This is the second time this season that Booker will be recovering from a left hamstring injury, but he said he expects to sit out more games this time around. Booker originally injured his left hamstring on October 24 and proceeded to sit out the next three games, but with the Suns now sitting on a 4-19 record, there won't be any incentive to rush him back. Elie Okobo figures to start while he's out, and there will be more opportunity for guys like Mikal Bridges, Josh Jackson and Jamal Crawford.

This shouldn't be surprising. I would guess he is out a couple weeks. This team is a train wreck. In an era where there are so many elite point guards and so many good to great point guards and you can't even roster a slightly below average point guard is beyond embarrassing. It is negligent for a team that has so many young players relying on facilitators. Everyone should be fired and the owner should be forced to sell. Booker got paid. He will take his time with this one. He will be on the GS injury timetable. 

• Like 1

He won't be shut down at some point because of that right? I really want to sell him before that :o

19 minutes ago, Brandayz said:

He won't be shut down at some point because of that right? I really want to sell him before that :o

If this were later in the season like Feb or March I would say its possible but its way to early for that right now with only a hamstring injury. 

18 minutes ago, Brandayz said:

Are you asking if a mild to moderate hamstring strain will make Booker a shut down candidate in early December? I am guessing you are asking that when he returns will the Suns shut him down for the season because of concern that he could hurt the hamstring again? There is no way this is season ending right now. I have no comment on a 24 year old being shut down when his team can't function without him. I just can't fathom the logic of shutting down a player that needs to play and develop because you are worried about him getting hurt. 

• Like 1

knew he returned too early from the first one. plus he  is literally doing everything on this team. 

3 minutes ago, thezing1 said:

Are you asking if a mild to moderate hamstring strain will make Booker a shut down candidate in early December? I am guessing you are asking that when he returns will the Suns shut him down for the season because of concern that he could hurt the hamstring again? There is no way this is season ending right now. I have no comment on a 24 year old being shut down when his team can't function without him. I just can't fathom the logic of shutting down a player that needs to play and develop because you are worried about him getting hurt. 

Just read this quote from Igor (about shutting Booker down):

“I’m very open (to the idea), but that’s not my jurisdiction when it comes to the medical staff,” Kokoskov said. “We have a great medical staff. They’re going to tell me as an organization what we should do.”

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Brandayz said:

Just read this quote from Igor (about shutting Booker down):

“I’m very open (to the idea), but that’s not my jurisdiction when it comes to the medical staff,” Kokoskov said. “We have a great medical staff. They’re going to tell me as an organization what we should do.”

I am just guessing this is a breakdown in communication. My guess would be that they are "shutting him down" to rest and heal before starting the rehab process. If they shut him down for the season it would be a really bad move by the franchise. Goes well beyond any "tank" in recent memory. Shutting down a healthy, 24 year old after a third of the season is a really bad look. He is their leader and franchise player. I can't imagine being a teammate and getting your teeth kicked in with a healthy 24 year old sitting on the bench in a suit for the last 45 games of the season just watching you get destroyed. I don't think that would sit well with any of the teammates. They are already bad enough to get the full benefit of the lottery. They don't need to try to tank. They are already awful at full strength. 

This isn't a torn hamstring like Middleton. He walked under his own power. An MRI will show the extent of it, but my guess is it is mild to moderate. I wouldn't worry too much. It sucks, but he will come back. The thought of it ending his season didn't even cross my mind when I watched it. 

all i know is once he's healthy and put's in a string of couple good games, I'll be looking to sell in the possibility of a shutdown tank later in the year. 

34 minutes ago, NoHablaIngles said:

buy-low or is the shutdown risk too great?

I own some shares. Stay away. It isn't worth it. I don't think it will be this thing, but it will be something else. The buy low has to be REALLY low. 

1 hour ago, thezing1 said:

I own some shares. Stay away. It isn't worth it. I don't think it will be this thing, but it will be something else. The buy low has to be REALLY low. 

You mean like Stanley Johnson (assuming he has another good game today)? Or more like Vonleh or Kieff?

I know this isn't the AC forum, but in general do we think Booker is a guy we should just cut our losses on and sell this year? Obviously this is an injury he can come back from relatively soon, but in general this year just doesn't seem ideal for him--he missed training camp, has had this lingering hamstring among other minor things, and the suns are absolute trash. what do we think about bookers best and worst case ros? 

1 minute ago, Savitto said:

I know this isn't the AC forum, but in general do we think Booker is a guy we should just cut our losses on and sell this year? Obviously this is an injury he can come back from relatively soon, but in general this year just doesn't seem ideal for him--he missed training camp, has had this lingering hamstring among other minor things, and the suns are absolute trash. what do we think about bookers best and worst case ros? 

Best case - Suns trade for a starting caliber PG and this team looks like less of a joke.

Worst case - Suns take tanking to an extreme and decide to hold Booker out for the rest of the season.

Wouldn't the best case scenario be him playing the point AND the Suns continuing to stink? He ate bigfly when he distributed the ball AND had the freedom to chuck the ball as much as he wanted. Like 30+ PPG and 10+ APG. That's part of what excited me about Mikal Bridges starting.

3 minutes ago, claptondecheeks said:

Wouldn't the best case scenario be him playing the point AND the Suns continuing to stink? He ate bigfly when he distributed the ball AND had the freedom to chuck the ball as much as he wanted. Like 30+ PPG and 10+ APG. That's part of what excited me about Mikal Bridges starting.

Although he did put up some big lines he also put up some below average lines against decent defensive teams that would double team him a lot and force the rest of the team to beat them (which they couldnt). I think getting a real PG would be beneficial to book because playing with trash like canaan (or any of the other scrub guards the suns have) aint helping anyones stats.

Edited by stay_woke

54 minutes ago, stay_woke said:

Although he did put up some big lines he also put up some below average lines against decent defensive teams that would double team him a lot and force the rest of the team to beat them (which they couldnt). I think getting a real PG would be beneficial to book because playing with trash like canaan (or any of the other scrub guards the suns have) aint helping anyones stats.

Plus off-ball dudes can still get great assist totals next to real PGs.  James Harden, for example.  

2 hours ago, stay_woke said:

This is true. A trade would be great, but who is out there for them at PG? Rozier's not really oh on the market. They may have better luck if they try to get someone to play the 2 spot. Another playmaker in the backcourt would free him as it'd take away those double teams (but it needs to be someone that can guard PGs on defense). They tried it with Mikal Bridges, but he was just too much of a non-factor on offense. It was a good idea tho.

32 minutes ago, claptondecheeks said:

This is true. A trade would be great, but who is out there for them at PG? Rozier's not really oh on the market. They may have better luck if they try to get someone to play the 2 spot. Another playmaker in the backcourt would free him as it'd take away those double teams (but it needs to be someone that can guard PGs on defense). They tried it with Mikal Bridges, but he was just too much of a non-factor on offense. It was a good idea tho.

In a league with so many stud point guards now a days I just think there are so many good options out there, but the suns just dont know what to do. Honestly most of the backup PGs in the league would be a massive improvement to the suns. And Im also still a little confused why they didnt resign Payton. Hes only making 3mil with the pelicans and would be a huge upgrade to what they currently have. It just blows my mind how they could go into the season with no plan at such a key position.

48 minutes ago, stay_woke said:

In a league with so many stud point guards now a days I just think there are so many good options out there, but the suns just dont know what to do. Honestly most of the backup PGs in the league would be a massive improvement to the suns. And Im also still a little confused why they didnt resign Payton. Hes only making 3mil with the pelicans and would be a huge upgrade to what they currently have. It just blows my mind how they could go into the season with no plan at such a key position.

Yea, that made no sense to me either.  Elf isn't elite, but he's better than all of their current PGs put together and was available on the cheap.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stay_woke said:

Agreed. They clearly didn't plan on relying Okobo or Melton. IMO they didn't were only interested in someone that could facilitate the offense just enough, not a playmaker, so like a poor man's Rondo. They probably thought the other 4 guys would be enough offense. If Bridges was playing even OK, they probably would've been fine.