phatrat

2018 FAAB Questions and Discussion

6 minutes ago, TeeGee60 said:

I’m interestd in people’s take on bears def... they look like a pretty dominant unit this year(makings of 2017 jags), I’m considering playing the matchups between chargers and them rest of season but since I don’t usually spend faab on defenses what do you guys think so as not to overspend... 5%?

I'll start with I have the Bears and made a trade tonight and got the Chargers added in as to me it looks like 1 of the 2 have a good matchup from week 2-12 except for week 10 and 13-16 aren't ideal but by then teams could change or one of these defenses or both could become set and forget. So check for youself but because of how the schedules mesh i'd even consider closer to 10%.

What are people bidding on Conner in keeper leagues? Is he for sure the next guy there and is Bell for sure gone after the year?

Jalen Richard, targeted 11 times in the passing game, caught 9.

I don't think 11 targets can be ignored so easily. Might be worth a stash, he should be free in most leagues.

How many people are going after Yeldon if they don't have LF?  I have James White and Drake to fill in for Fournette.  I'm thinking about throwing $5 or $6 out there.

My question is for deeper leagues like FFPC and NFFC where they are 12 team leagues with 20 man rosters most of the hot free agent adds are owned what would be a good way to take FAAB% suggestions but relate them to deeper leagues??? Just double the %??? There will be roughly 60 more non defense/kicker players owned then a typical league and more often then not my team will have 18 non k/def instead of 13 rostered so what would be a good way/formula to come up with what % to bid???

10 team league w/ $200 budget. How much for Kenny Stills?

8 hours ago, SadFaceHappy said:

I'll start off with a list

$100 budget

QB - Fitzmagic

RB - Lindsay

RB - Ekeler

RB - Yeldon

WR - Desean Jackson

WR - Dorsett

WR - Marshall 

WR - Ginn 

WR - Allison

TE - Dissly

TE - Cook

D - Bears

D - Jets

Thoughts?

Almost che same for me but  not allison. I have to spend waiver on ginn or lindsay? Need flex

22 hours ago, CABLE87 said:

So im trying to figure out how much Kittle would be?

i had him originally but dropped him for Conner a week ago. 

I have Trey Burton already but I want to block the guy who has Delanie Walker and the other guy with Olsen....

I plan on going $16 out $100. I drafted him but dropped him for a TE with a better match up. That failed. I am going to do what I can to get him back though.

17 minutes ago, turner46 said:

My question is for deeper leagues like FFPC and NFFC where they are 12 team leagues with 20 man rosters most of the hot free agent adds are owned what would be a good way to take FAAB% suggestions but relate them to deeper leagues??? Just double the %??? There will be roughly 60 more non defense/kicker players owned then a typical league and more often then not my team will have 18 non k/def instead of 13 rostered so what would be a good way/formula to come up with what % to bid???

My league is 12 man/20 spots. Same numbers still apply.

Just now, Fabios1993 said:

Almost che same for me but  not allison. I have to spend waiver on ginn or lindsay? Need flex

How come no Allison?

22 hours ago, CABLE87 said:

So im trying to figure out how much Kittle would be?

i had him originally but dropped him for Conner a week ago. 

I have Trey Burton already but I want to block the guy who has Delanie Walker and the other guy with Olsen....

I think that's a bad strategy.  Burton should be pretty good over the course of the season.  You could easily wind up overpaying for a guy you don't really need (and blowing a roster spot on a second TE all season) -- in order to "block" the other two, you're going to have to exceed the Walker and Olsen owners' bid of 25-30+% of FAAB.  The Walker and Olsen owners are going to wind up with *somebody* after all the bids process.  It's likely that one of Cook, Dissly, Ebron etc. wind up outscoring Kittle on the season too.

You're better off spending your FAAB on a guy who can really help your team like Enunwa/Lindsay/etc.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, TeeGee60 said:

I’m interestd in people’s take on bears def... they look like a pretty dominant unit this year(makings of 2017 jags), I’m considering playing the matchups between chargers and them rest of season but since I don’t usually spend faab on defenses what do you guys think so as not to overspend... 5%?

Yeah, I'm trying to figure out the same thing. I have a Bears fan in my league that may skew the numbers, but no one has ever bidded more than a few bucks for a defense, in Chicago's case I may bid $6 and see what happens, but if he spends $10 I wouldn't be shocked. 

I'm really not a fan of holding two defenses, but to each their own. If your "primary" defense has a bad matchup, just stream that week.

35 minutes ago, eg4190 said:

I think that's a bad strategy.  Burton should be pretty good over the course of the season.  You could easily wind up overpaying for a guy you don't really need (and blowing a roster spot on a second TE all season) -- in order to "block" the other two, you're going to have to exceed the Walker and Olsen owners' bid of 25-30+% of FAAB.  The Walker and Olsen owners are going to wind up with *somebody* after all the bids process.  It's likely that one of Cook, Dissly, Ebron etc. wind up outscoring Kittle on the season too.

You're better off spending your FAAB on a guy who can really help your team like Enunwa/Lindsay/etc.

I new to FAAB. If Im a walker owner in a 10 team. I should not bid that much and then pick up the TE who doesnt get picked up out of Kittle, Cook, Dissly or Ebron? Or should I go 25%?

6 minutes ago, dlee33701 said:

I new to FAAB. If Im a walker owner in a 10 team. I should not bid that much and then pick up the TE who doesnt get picked up out of Kittle, Cook, Dissly or Ebron? Or should I go 25%?

Yes. Save the cash 

11 minutes ago, dlee33701 said:

Yeah, I'm a Walker owner too [pours one out] and it's important to remember that unless you have an elite guy like Gronk or Ertz on your roster, TEs perform more like kickers with a slightly higher floor and more variance.  The RB and WR slots are simply much more valuable and it's more important to keep that cupboard stocked.  My team is undoubtedly worse because Walker won't be on it this season, but my season is also not cooked the way it would be if AB had gone down.  You can stream TEs with good matchups all season and be fine, and sometimes you stumble onto a top-10 guy by accident, as I did with Ertz a couple years ago.

Don't overpay on a guy who may only give you a couple points per game on average over a streamer.  This is an especially bad week to worry about overbidding on TEs because both Walker and Olsen went down at the same time, which means there are two people in every league who need a TE.  One of those guys listed above will be available and that's the guy you pick up for free in Week 2.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, eg4190 said:

Yeah, I'm a Walker owner too [pours one out] and it's important to remember that unless you have an elite guy like Gronk or Ertz on your roster, TEs perform more like kickers with a slightly higher floor and more variance.  The RB and WR slots are simply much more valuable and it's more important to keep that cupboard stocked.  My team is undoubtedly worse because Walker won't be on it this season, but my season is also not cooked the way it would be if AB had gone down.  You can stream TEs with good matchups all season and be fine, and sometimes you stumble onto a top-10 guy by accident, as I did with Ertz a couple years ago.

Don't overpay on a guy who may only give you a couple points per game on average over a streamer.  This is an especially bad week to worry about overbidding on TEs because both Walker and Olsen went down at the same time, which means there are two people in every league who need a TE.  One of those guys listed above will be available and that's the guy you pick up for free in Week 2.

Very interesting thought process. I lost Walker and Baldwin. Like you said, team with Olsen is also looking. Plus, someone has Charles Clay who is 99% going to be dropped. I am a big believer in Kittle, so I was prepared to possibly overspend to get him, but your strategy is I guess something to consider. Might adjust my plan and spend more on Enunwa than Kittle, then grab what is left. However, I think Kittle >> Cook, Dissly, Ebron (because of Doyle)

• Like 1

I would never spend more than 10% of my FAAB in the first week unless you have a catastrophic injury like David Johnson last year. Too early in the season. Having said that I may throw out $5-$8 on Lindsay, Dorsett, Bears D, Yeldon. Then I'd throw out a few $3 offers on Grant, Enunwa, Cook as I don't see these players having the same success week 2 week. I think Cook benefited from the fact the Raiders were down big and Carr didn't want to throw to WR because Rams DB's. not gonna happen every week. Like others have mentioned, let the other owners blow their load in W1 and you may find some great value getting dropped. Just my .02

Edited by Hatfieldodger
  • Like 1

Man, this is tough. I didn't like my draft and losing 2 guys, it feels like I need to make moves now to really salvage this season. It's a fact people will be spending 20+% on players, hard to evaluate how much to spend (100 for year). Would hate to miss out on Kittle, Enunwa, Dorsey because a different team happens to bid higher. I also need to grab 2 players here, not as dire for others so potentially they can throw more at one guy as opposed to splitting an amount between 2.

At the same amount or close, would you guys be willing to spend on a very high upside, injury dependant Allison or on a safe PPR floor with Enunwa ?

2 minutes ago, Hatfieldodger said:

I would never spend more than 10% of my FAAB in the first week unless you have a catastrophic injury like David Johnson last year. Too early in the season. Having said that I may throw out $5-$8 on Lindsay, Dorsett, Bears D, Yeldon. Then I'd throw out a few $3 offers on Grant, Enunwa, Cook as I don't see these players having the same success week 2 week. I think Cook benefited from the fact the Raiders were down big and Carr didn't want to throw to WR because Rams DB's. not gonna happen every week. Just my .02

Also true. However, wonder what the statistics are out there for grabbing guys after week 1 performances vs the rest of the year, and how the overall production of those pickups plays out. Basically, is it more likely you find those big FA winners after week 1, or other weeks?

5 minutes ago, dsrich said:

Also true. However, wonder what the statistics are out there for grabbing guys after week 1 performances vs the rest of the year, and how the overall production of those pickups plays out. Basically, is it more likely you find those big FA winners after week 1, or other weeks?

Good question. I can only speak from my past experiences that more likely the later in the season goes, the bigger the pickups become. That guy you spend a sizable amount of $ on could get hurt in this upcoming week. It's important not to overreact unless you have a huge void to fill as their seems to always be major injuries later in the season that you will miss out on if you have spent all of your $ on a week 1 wonder. Plus you have to take into consideration the "shut down" candidates towards playoffs and how valuable the backups become then. I get it...you gotta get there first. Now I'm not saying just sit there and let other owners bid $ on these players. Throw some bids out there and see if you catch your league under bidding but don't be that guy that pays $20 on a guy they could've gotten for $8.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dmb3684 said:

My league is 12 man/20 spots. Same numbers still apply.

Although I cant say this with proof as this is my first year with a team in the ffpc and nffc but I think you take is wrong. Literally the only guys being touted available are Lindsay(who I want) since most backup rbs are already owned lowering the chance of a game changer showing up later. Dorsett and the Seahawks TE, Panthers TE and Titans TE but TE is not a need I will throw maybe $1 and if i land one on the bench great but don't feel the need to go out of my way.

1 hour ago, eg4190 said:

So whats not an overpay for Kittle? 5%?

21 minutes ago, turner46 said:

Although I cant say this with proof as this is my first year with a team in the ffpc and nffc but I think you take is wrong. Literally the only guys being touted available are Lindsay(who I want) since most backup rbs are already owned lowering the chance of a game changer showing up later. Dorsett and the Seahawks TE, Panthers TE and Titans TE but TE is not a need I will throw maybe $1 and if i land one on the bench great but don't feel the need to go out of my way.

I've been in my league a bunch of years. This is your first. I will go with my take.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1