tongs

Gordon Hayward 2018-2019 Season Outlook

Seems to be healing up quite well and Boston's system looks to be able to feed multiple mouths. I think the line up of Kyrie, Tatum, Hayward, Brown and Horford can all co-exist and all can still put up respectable numbers. 

If he stays on the right track I can see something like 16-5-3 with a steal and <2 3pm near his floor, with upside for counting stats. What's more important to me is that he could push for great efficiency.. Looking at .825 FT on a good amount of attempts and maybe his TO and FG will improve with less ball-handling than in Utah. 

I think he will slip in drafts and I'd bite with anything after 60th pick depending on my draft position, team needs, etc.

Stats to compare from last season's rankings:

44 - Tyreke Evans: 2.2 - 19.4 - 5.1 - 5.2 - 1.1, .452 / .785

52 - Will Barton: 1.9 - 15.7 - 5.0 - 4.1 - 1.0 , .452 / .805

60 - Jamal Murray: 2.0 - 16.7 - 3.7 - 3.4 - 1.0, .451 / .905

65 - Evan Fournier: 2.2 - 17.8 - 3.2 - 2.9 - 0.8, .459 / .867

81 - Dario Saric: 2.0 - 14.6 - 6.7 - 2.6 - 0.7 - .453 / .860

96 - Taurean Prince: 2.1 - 14.1 - 4.7 - 2.6 - 1.0, .426 / .844 , 2.3 TO     <- IMO the numbers really look like his absolute floor, Hayward should have more points, better FG and TO

• Like 2

Agreed, Hayward may be overlooked & undervalued due to the injury/lost season plus the emergence of Tatum and to a lesser degree JBrown.

He can definitely put a season similar to Tyreke's 17-18 (listed above) but likely with lower AST and better %'s.

I am a little more hesitant on Hayward. The Celtics became the Warriors of the East by default. All they have to do is stay healthy. Seeding doesn't matter much. They are going to rest and there is no doubt in my mind that Horford, Kyrie and Hayward are going to take the brunt of the rest days. The team is still incredibly deep. In the time Hayward lost there were 2 young wings that emerged. That isn't going to stop and Brown and Tatum are going to continue to improve and expand their games and by default become more integrated in the offense. In terms of the last part, let me break it down like this. If Tatum was the 3rd option and Brown was the 4th option and let's just say Smart was option 5 after Kyrie and Horford then this is going to happen with Hayward being brought back as the 2nd or 3rd option. The actually order of the options doesn't matter. Hayward as the 2 knocks Horford to the 3, Tatum to the 4 and Brown as the 5th option. Now, Brown as a 5th option is going to imprint the offense FAR more than Smart or whoever the 5th option was last year. And Tatum as the 4th option is more of an imprint than whoever was the 4th option last year. And so on. And they are all going to eat into each other because there is only one basketball and there are going to be 5 capable mouths to feed at a time. 

We really have no idea what the lineups and rotations will be at this time. But the sense I get from these posts is that Hayward's upside is tied to him being forced to do things less, which is kind of another way of saying he is less critical to an offense because there are other capable bodies alongside him. I don't know what to make of it all yet, but it seems backwards that a decrease in scoring with a higher % is a net positive even though the % is less of an impact since it is on lower shot attempts. So less points, higher %, lower shot attempts is a net positive compared to higher points, lower % on more shot attempts for a guy that sits in the 44-47% range. That range really isn't going to impact your overall FG% all that much. If you think he is going to be a 50% shooter on less attempts that is one thing. But getting to the 47-48% range really isn't going to move the needle much. 

So then it comes down to him having less TOs because he is asked to do less. Just seems backwards to me, but I am not a 9 cat guy. But I would guess that correlates to less assists. I like my players to be in a position to have big roles and being asked to do a lot for their offenses. Hayward's usage is going to have pressure applied to it as long as the Celtics are healthy and Brown and Tatum continue to develop. 

I don't see him slipping all that much on draft day where is he going to be a 6th or 7th round pick. At that level yes, he is great value. But Kyrie is going to eat. Tatum and Brown are going to eat. I can see Horford deferring a lot, but dang, that is a lot of capable players on one team that is going to coast to the playoffs next season. I'm bearish on all of the Celtics just like I am with all of the Warriors. 

Edited by thezing1
  • Like 2

I will pass on all Boston players in first 7 rounds.  This year Boston has a potential to be Spurs-like in the east (rest) or Warriors-like (blowouts).  You cannot produce if you are resting or watching your bench closing the game. 

I like my picks in first 7 rounds to play as much as possible.  If only Thibodeau   can coach every NBA team that would be dream come true

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

He's probably going to be fine, but there are better options out there.  Problem is you know his floor but also not a lot of upside.  

• Like 1

i dont feel good about getting him along with his preseason play, injury, and stacked team. hoping he starts well and maybe i can trade him based off name value. 

kind of concerned that he says his ankle still hurts. he can only get better however. can't expect too much from that catastrophic injury.

Just got a lesson in Basketball from a real SF, sorry but Hayward is WAY overrated especially on defense. People that think he is a good defender need some glasses cleaner. Celtics gonna learn fast having the best player in the East matters...it's definitely not Hayward, definitely not Kyrie (he's good though)...
Nothing like watching the raps beat the Celtics...
Raptors>Celtics

Kawhi>>>>Hayward

22 minutes ago, Jake the snake said:

Just got a lesson in Basketball from a real SF, sorry but Hayward is WAY overrated especially on defense. People that think he is a good defender need some glasses cleaner. Celtics gonna learn fast having the best player in the East matters...it's definitely not Hayward, definitely not Kyrie (he's good though)...
Nothing like watching the raps beat the Celtics...
Raptors>Celtics

Kawhi>>>>Hayward

Don't you think its a bit too early to say Raptors > celtics? Celtics haven't won the raptors in their home since 2015 so its a tough ground. Celtics is still the team to beat, this was one game 

11 minutes ago, atlantadynasty said:

Don't you think its a bit too early to say Raptors > celtics? 

NO...I started as soon as they signed Kawhi lol

• Like 1

Would anyone consider dropping if there was a really decent player currently on FA? Getting worried with how stacked the Celtics are, how they played without him last year, playing limited minutes, the statement made about not having explosiveness on the leg, and now missing a b2b so soon. 

During the draft I kept telling myself I wont take Hayward because of risks and a stacked team, but every time he just falls towards 6th/7th round and it was just too tempting knowing what the guy can do when he's 100%. Now I have him in 3 leagues :((

drafted Hayward in round 6, at that time I thought I was getting a huge steal. Still early, but he is not getting enough playing time to produce. he has been staying on the bench in crunch times

7 minutes ago, a-rob said:

drafted Hayward in round 6, at that time I thought I was getting a huge steal. Still early, but he is not getting enough playing time to produce. he has been staying on the bench in crunch times

Tatum simply has been fantastic. But I still have a small sliver of faith, especially with Brad and Hayward's connection. But I'm so tempted to drop him for Bazemore

Edited by ellejamil