tongs

Gordon Hayward 2018-2019 Season Outlook

36 minutes ago, DrFunkenstein13 said:

I see Hayward has been cleared to play in back-to-backs.  I know he's still working his way back into form; any Celtics fans or other observers have a sense of how his progress is going?  I know he's a stash; just hoping he gets back close to the player he was pre-injury, which I know is not guaranteed.

(trying to make myself feel better since I scooped him off waivers lol)

There will be growing pains, and if youre expecting him to be the guy he was in 2016, then you will be out of luck. BUT, that doesnt mean he cant be a valuable player once he gets his legs under him, I think he will be a very valuable piece especially in the second half (something like returning 5th or 6th round value)

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, DrFunkenstein13 said:

I see Hayward has been cleared to play in back-to-backs.  I know he's still working his way back into form; any Celtics fans or other observers have a sense of how his progress is going?  I know he's a stash; just hoping he gets back close to the player he was pre-injury, which I know is not guaranteed.

He still looks hesitant more often than not. His jumper looks fine, but when he gets the ball in the paint he either lacks explosiveness to finish or passes the ball out. You can tell the injury or at least the rehab is in the back of his mind.

Celtics are also mostly ignoring him on offense sets, he usually is spotting up on weak side while Kyrie, Tatum, Rozier initiate.

There have been a few glimmers of hope like the Bucks and Pistons games. When Hayward gets to initiate from top of the key and run a pick and roll with Al Horford he really shines, basically collapses the D on him for a kickout to open shooter or he gets an easy floater. 

My opinion from watching is that he's just not going to get it done as a spot up wing and you're basically hoping Brad Stevens puts the ball in his hands more, which happens if Rozier gets traded and Hayward can run the second unit. Otherwise if he gets back to 30 mpg but continues to split usage with Kyrie and Tatum in the first unit I think his line is more around the 14 / 6 / 3 range 

• Like 2

getting cleared for b2b is good, hopefully his body responds well. for him to gain value he needs his minutes restriction lifted to 30 mins. 

• Like 1

He gave me decent enough stocks today. Did anyone watch him play today? I just missed out watching him play.

And he played 30 mins !

Edited by j3rkthenurk
mins

13 hours ago, j3rkthenurk said:

He gave me decent enough stocks today. Did anyone watch him play today? I just missed out watching him play.

And he played 30 mins !

Celtics offense  is not in sync right now. As far as Gordon is concerned, he was wide open few times and skipped the shot, teammates also skipped on him on several open cuts. 

You can say that he lacks confidence more then anything, and have post injury fear when attacking the rim. Upside is there with 30 min a game...other then Kyrie he is player with most fantasy prospect in Boston

Edited by shakamadafaka

On 11/8/2018 at 10:53 AM, DrFunkenstein13 said:

I'm a big Celtics fan, but watch 2-3 other NBA games a night, so try to be as unbiased as possible.  

Here's my 2 cents:

Hayward, and the Celtics are taking their time, having in mind that the real goal is to have their top guys healthy for the playoffs.  We don't need to a 65 wins in the regular season to be confident the Celtics should make it to the Finals this year.  They're taking their time while Hayward gets slowly more confident in his rebuilt lower leg.  Same goes for his shot, and skills as a playmaker.  What we see now from Hayward is not what we'll see come 2nd half, and what we see in half is just a glimpse of what we should expect come playoffs.

I love what I'm seeing from Kyrie, and even when he started off the season with crappy stats, it was apparent what his goal is as the leader of this team.  His main concern his getting every important Celtics player as confident in their game as possible, and as the season goes on, he'll assess exactly what he can focus on to out-weigh Boston's weakness come play off time.  Kyrie is NOT trying to Lebron this team.  He wants Tatum to develop, Jaylen to be confident in his shot, Horford to keep those high-mile bones moving the best he can, and most importantly, Hayward to be effective as a player maker once his game is back to top level, and the thought of reinjuring his leg is out of the back of his head.

Brad Stevens is starting both Kyrie and Hayward together, so both player's ego's are met, but he is taking Hayward out early in the 1st quarter, while Kyrie runs the show, so when Kyrie sits, Hayward can take over.  Essentially, he's staggering his star's minutes, and it may not look like championship basketball right now, but during the playoffs, opponents' defenses are going to be overwhelmed with Boston having a great playmaker running the office the entire game.

They'll manage Hayward's minutes, and to a lesser degree, do the same with Kyrie, but there is obviously a buy low window for Hayward right now.  I just wouldn't give up a ton to get him since it's in Steven's best interest to limit their minutes, but instead polish their game-plan and strategies depending on opponent this regular season.  I still believe Kyrie finishes top 10, due to awesome efficiency, low TO's for a guard, 26 points, 4-5 rebounds, 7.5 assists, and an increase in steals and blocks from more intense leadership on defense, but Hayward won't reach his individual stats potential purposely.  I'd predict, after ASB, Hayward will average 18 points, 7 rebounds, 5 assists, on also really good efficiency, low TO's and average defense stats.  Overall 35-45 value once the second half begins.  That's MUCH better than what he's doing now, but not someone that will lead you to a fantasy league championship.  Kyrie def can be 1 of your top 2 players to win a league though, if you're roster is built well.

Edited by HulkSmash
  • Thanks 2

He has his minutes limit lift and he's way too talented to be sitting on WW or thinking of being dropped outside of maybe the shallowest of leagues.  I would definitely buy low because I see top 60-70 potential ROS...sniff out the owner in your league and if he/she is looking to just wipe their hands, you could get an impact guy for real cheap.  Some people on here will/have said he's trash but he's had some really good seasons, he's on an elite team with his college coach, and he's going to help you across several categories, as evident by last night's performance.

might just be the leagues i'm playing in, but i feel like this guy has absolutely no trade value right now. 

Haywards been tough to hang onto this season, but I feel like the organization is really trying to make things happen for him and he'll start turning things around soon.

If theres a buy low window, the time is now.

Hayward came out with a comment saying he doesn't mind being benched, but his coach has kept him in as a starter.

Yesterdays game they blew out Chicago early and coach kept him in I believe to help him get his confidence and get more comfortable.

He got his minutes restriction recently removed and he's playing in back to backs.

He's been contributing in rebounds and assists and now we just need his shots to start falling, which should happen sooner or later.

his game looks more well rounded to rack up stats in 31 mins however, pretty poor fg% and maybe turnover. gonna be frustrating to own for a few months. possibly if you can trade or move on from him, he can be a poison pill for addition for other owners.

from the other end of the spectrum, Siakam has been on a tear with a pretty consistent role on the Raps. 

Would you hayward owners take him 1 for 1? 

The answer I'm looking for is along the lines of "in a heartbeat", "maybe in a package", or "reject that scrub offer"

Don’t sell now. 

You would be selling Hayward at his low point. You sell high and buy low. 

Or you sell when you get a really solid offer. 

You guys are tripping around Hayward, his coach is polishing his pole to be good in this system. He’s getting the minutes. 

17 minutes ago, KuramaHiei said:

from the other end of the spectrum, Siakam has been on a tear with a pretty consistent role on the Raps. 

Would you hayward owners take him 1 for 1? 

The answer I'm looking for is along the lines of "in a heartbeat", "maybe in a package", or "reject that scrub offer"

if someone offered me siakam for hayward i would run outside naked clenching my balls

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, taenggg said:

if someone offered me siakam for hayward i would run outside naked clenching my balls

In pleasure or in pain? I've experienced both so I'm confused

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, KuramaHiei said:

In pleasure or in pain? I've experienced both so I'm confused

Pleasure baby

• Haha 1

I'm gonna help a few of you young / new guys right now.

If you trade now, you're doing the complete opposite of a winning strategy.  Even if you can't stand to have him on your roster, at least wait until he strings together 3-5 good games, so you can get decent value back.  By the time he does that though, you'll probably realize you want to keep him because you see how good he is.

Don't be the guy that drafted a star player on a max contract who is coming off a bad injury, and starting slow.  If he wasn't injured he would have had a 30-40 draft position.  The reason he doesn't is because EVERYONE predicted he'd take some time to get his game up to speed.  There is ZERO chance he doesn't get better and better as the season goes on.  His coach AND GM are the best in the NBA.  Whoever you get back in return will be minimum 60% of the value Hayward gives you in 2-4 weeks, into the rest of the season unless you get ridiculously lucky.

Thank you for your time.

• Thanks 3

11 hours ago, HulkSmash said:

I'm gonna help a few of you young / new guys right now.

If you trade now, you're doing the complete opposite of a winning strategy.  Even if you can't stand to have him on your roster, at least wait until he strings together 3-5 good games, so you can get decent value back.  By the time he does that though, you'll probably realize you want to keep him because you see how good he is.

Don't be the guy that drafted a star player on a max contract who is coming off a bad injury, and starting slow.  If he wasn't injured he would have had a 30-40 draft position.  The reason he doesn't is because EVERYONE predicted he'd take some time to get his game up to speed.  There is ZERO chance he doesn't get better and better as the season goes on.  His coach AND GM are the best in the NBA.  Whoever you get back in return will be minimum 60% of the value Hayward gives you in 2-4 weeks, into the rest of the season unless you get ridiculously lucky.

Thank you for your time.

So just bench him in that time and hope that he starts balling or keep starting him?

2 hours ago, Rproflmao said:

So just bench him in that time and hope that he starts balling or keep starting him?

He's chilling on my bench, biding time ...seems like he's slooooowly improving, getting more minutes, but he's not ready to start yet

had to drop him to activate teague from IR however, regretting now that I  wished it was a couple days after after Levert got hurt so I could've dropped him instead. these are the lines i was expecting. OT helps but we'll see if mins restrictions off, playing b2bs, he can be consistent to average this. 15/5/5/1/1 would've been lovely.