Sign in to follow this  
handyandy86

Mark Andrews 2018 Outlook

Very deep league TE spec add, playing for the Baltimore Ravens.  3rd round pick out of Oklahoma, where he was one of Mayfield's favorite targets and won the John Mackey award for nation's top TE.

He's basically just an oversized WR lined up at TE.  Scouting reports say he can't block at all, but has very good speed and route-running abilities for a TE.  Similar mold and profile to someone like Engram, just another big body that can catch, and did very well in the RZ in college.

Andrews produced fairly well in Week 1 with 3 catches for 31 yards on 4 targets.  He has a small glimmer of hope at more targets with Hurst out, but even at that saw a pretty even target split between himself and Nick Boyle and Maxx Williams.  Boyle and Williams are better blockers and will thus be in for more snaps, but with Andrews being the superior pass catcher he might end up being the most fantasy relevant of the trio.

Anything to see here?  Or too buried on the depth chart?  With Hurst expected to come back Week 3 or 4, you'd have to think the Ravens will have some choices to make at TE.  If Andrews can see a higher target share this week and start to separate himself from the others, there's a chance he could still have some relevance after Hurst comes back, in the deepest of fantasy leagues.  

• Like 1

I picked him up in dynasty because I’m an Olsen owner who missed out on Dissly and Thomas, but I also own Hayden Hurst so this move seemed to make sense.

I imagine he will be a drop eventually but who knows in this business?

He's worth a dart throw, but hard to see any upside unless he's moved to WR.

With Boyle, Williams and soon to be Hurst competing for playing time and targets, he's not going to get enough snaps to even be rosterable in deep leagues.

Looked great in preseason -- I just wish they could find a way to get him more playing time. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AirForceOne said:

He's worth a dart throw, but hard to see any upside unless he's moved to WR.

With Boyle, Williams and soon to be Hurst competing for playing time and targets, he's not going to get enough snaps to even be rosterable in deep leagues.

Looked great in preseason -- I just wish they could find a way to get him more playing time. 

Yeah, will be something to monitor the next couple of weeks how the PT gets split up.  Baltimore seems to use an unusually high amount of early round picks on TE's, so it's hard to say how it will all shake out.  If healthy Hurst would clearly be the snap count leader as he can catch and block, but Andrews vs Boyle and Williams seem to have more differing skillsets. 

Andrews is strictly a receiving TE, and they used a 3rd on him knowing that, so you'd think he will be used (whether that is this year or next year).  If you spend draft capital on a pass catching, non-blocking TE, you either have to get him targets or he's a useless lump on the bench.  Boyle and Williams seem to have the most overlapping skillsets, and Boyle they don't have a lot invested in, so logically I would think he might end up being the odd man out.  But who knows when that happens.

I'm holding in a deep league, and if his target share increases in the next week or two I will continue to hold.  But if Boyle and Williams keep getting targets then it will be hard to see him getting enough volume to be relevant.

The good - Andrews got 4 more targets in week 2, including a TD. 

The bad - other TEs (Boyle and Williams) combined for 7 targets, and Andrews' 3 receptions only counted for 17 yards in total. 

I was hoping to see a larger percentage of TE targets going to Andrews, or more of an obvious favoring of him over the others. It's good that he's getting RZ looks and work, but obviously he's still very TD dependent. And once Hurst is added back into the mix that will likely further limit Andrews' upside.