sjm76

Vance McDonald 2018 Outlook

10 hours ago, krest509 said:

I appreciate this .. definently a start if Howard can’t go

That was for last week... against the Falcons... the Steelers play the Bengals this week.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, smeeze said:

That was for last week... against the Falcons... the Steelers play the Bengals this week.

What’s the read up on it , and can we trust it since last week was a bust?

I think his floor is what he showed before last week's game, around 50 yards and five catches. That should make him a safe start every week. 

Vance put up a dud last week because the Falcons missed tackles and suck in the secondary. The only time Conner had to make a cut was once he was in the open field. Not only was their run defense exploited but their secondary was also exploited. This is with a not so good game from Ben too. No need for him to check-down in that game, hence the poor game from Vance. Teams with a decent secondary put Vance into play because if coverage is good then Ben can check-down. He didn't have to last game. Don't panic on Vance just yet.

• Like 1

On 10/7/2018 at 12:11 PM, jtbgator said:

Firmly in my 1PPR flex today and not even thinking twice about it. I never start 2 TE's (starting Reed too). Big game coming for Vance The Hulk.

Vance McDonald: Pittsburgh Steelers (-3) vs. Atlanta Falcons, 58 O/U

As we highlighted on the Wednesday edition of The Action Network NFL Podcast, McDonald is the tight end du jour for Sunday. In a week with a historically high number of 50-point over/unders, it should come as no surprise that the Steelers-Falcons game has the highest total of the season. The Steelers are favorites at home, where they markedly outperform their road statistics, and they have a slate-high implied total of 30.5 points. Load up.

A 93rd-percentile SPARQ second-rounder who failed to develop in his first four seasons with the 49ers, McDonald has been impressive (albeit inconsistent) with the Steelers. Although he was plagued by injuries last year, McDonald flashed in the second half of the season, and his playmaking contributions have carried over to the 2018 season. Over his past eight appearances (including playoffs), McDonald has averaged 5.8 targets per game, and he’s had at least 50 yards or a touchdown in six of them.

And unlike the expensive top tight ends in the slate, McDonald has a beautiful matchup. The Falcons run a Cover 3 defense that intentionally funnels targets to the middle of the field. As long as they are able to limit the yardage earned on these plays, their defense can bend without breaking. The problem, though, is that the Falcons are without key coverage defenders in middle linebacker Deion Jones (foot, IR), free safety Keanu Neal (knee, IR) and strong safety Ricardo Allen (Achilles, IR).

They have collectively been replaced by Duke Riley, a second-year player with a 57.8 PFF coverage grade; Damontae Kazee, a second-year fifth-rounder with just 226 coverage snaps; and Brian Poole, an undrafted third-year cornerback playing out of position as a box safety. McDonald has gone over 100 yards in two of his past four games, and he has the potential to do that again this week.

That really should have indicated a bad match-up for Vance. An injured secondary would benefit the wideouts, wouldn't you think? And it played out that way in the game. With Conner running down their throats and then going deep on them when they try and stop the run. No check-downs needed. Vance is what option in that offense? Not Top 3, that's for sure. In Ben's progressions there was no need to throw to Vance.

39 minutes ago, mmurph20 said:

I think his floor is what he showed before last week's game, around 50 yards and five catches. That should make him a safe start every week. 

How is his floor 50 yards when we literally just saw him put up 6?

50 yards might be a reasonable expectation on a weekly basis but it is by no means his floor. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, smeeze said:

How is his floor 50 yards when we literally just saw him put up 6?

50 yards might be a reasonable expectation on a weekly basis but it is by no means his floor. 

"Over his past eight appearances (including playoffs), McDonald has averaged 5.8 targets per game, and he’s had at least 50 yards or a touchdown in six of them."

25 minutes ago, mmurph20 said:

"Over his past eight appearances (including playoffs), McDonald has averaged 5.8 targets per game, and he’s had at least 50 yards or a touchdown in six of them."

I saw that, I think you're just confused about the definition of "floor".

he's either a sneaky "keep the faith" DFS play... or the dude who sinks you in two straight weeks.

feeling lucky, punks?

Bounceback game incoming?

He is the starting TE for a big offense in Pittsburg. I would expect his numbers to grow, not shrink...he was coming off an injury and has looked good.

18 minutes ago, Ace_King said:

Odds of being a top 10 TE ROS?

Pretty good considering the TE landscape. Ben cant throw the deep ball as well anymore, defense sucks. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ace_King said:

Odds of being a top 10 TE ROS?

Yes,  TE1 ROS, high powered offense and Ben loves throwing to him.

• Like 1

I have to hype this guy up while on his bye. I'm back on the train! Picked him up early for the bye coming up in Week 9 for my #1. Choo Choo MFers! Vance gives you a chance.