JLoson0550

Punt Assists 2018-2019

So I've been doing a bunch of Mocks the past week and probably 90% of them, I end up in a punt assist scenario. We had a good thread for this last year.

1st round targets

Obviously, AD, KAT but I also think Dame, KD and Curry - you can build a punt assist team with them too. Curry can win you 3's and really help with %'s and steals.

2nd round

I think this has been the toughest round so far - I've been trying to snag either PG or Irving

You guys aiming for this strategy this year?

If drafting late in a 12-team, you can probably target Kawhi + PG or Butler on the turn... That's what I've been doing in mocks. At least you're getting scoring and steals, some 3's, decent percentages... Maybe grab a Josh Richardson, Tobias Harris or Aaron Gordon in the 3rd. The hardest part would be if other GMs in your league are also punting assists, then you're basically fighting for the same handful of scoring point guards or combo guards like Jamal Murray, Lou Williams, etc...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SirMixalot said:

If drafting late in a 12-team, you can probably target Kawhi + PG or Butler on the turn... That's what I've been doing in mocks. At least you're getting scoring and steals, some 3's, decent percentages... Maybe grab a Josh Richardson, Tobias Harris or Aaron Gordon in the 3rd. The hardest part would be if other GMs in your league are also punting assists, then you're basically fighting for the same handful of scoring point guards or combo guards like Jamal Murray, Lou Williams, etc...

i did this in my 16 teamer.  paired leonard and jimmy with the likes of richardson, gary harris and shooting bigs (vucevic and mirotic).  grabbed sleepers (isaac, bell, dejounte, osman) at the tail end of the draft.  i try to minimize the TOs and the pct hit while being competitive on the other stats except asts.

hope it pans out.

4 hours ago, SirMixalot said:

This is what screwed me last year. The guy behind me was also doing punt assists. I had to switch up and go assist forwards because I was not about to fight for players. Ended up working great in the end (AD led me to victory)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, flippy said:

i did this in my 16 teamer.  paired leonard and jimmy with the likes of richardson, gary harris and shooting bigs (vucevic and mirotic).  grabbed sleepers (isaac, bell, dejounte, osman) at the tail end of the draft.  i try to minimize the TOs and the pct hit while being competitive on the other stats except asts.

hope it pans out.

Also doing a 16 man and punting assists is my favorite. Kawhi/Jimmy is a good start, though I’m surprised Kawhi fell that far. What pick were you? 

Which other bigs did you get also? Isaac, Bell and Vucevic seems to be not enough for rebounds and blocks, as well as buoying your FG%. Didn’t you target bigs with friendly FT% like Collins, Allen, Turner and the like? 

19 minutes ago, SicarioSanity said:

Also doing a 16 man and punting assists is my favorite. Kawhi/Jimmy is a good start, though I’m surprised Kawhi fell that far. What pick were you? 

Which other bigs did you get also? Isaac, Bell and Vucevic seems to be not enough for rebounds and blocks, as well as buoying your FG%. Didn’t you target bigs with friendly FT% like Collins, Allen, Turner and the like? 

picked 15th. yeah passed on turner and allen for vucevic and mirotic. for collins, got sniped. those are 2 picks i think i made a mistake lol. i got nance though. will be targeting heavily on bigs on the wire for sure.

1 hour ago, flippy said:

picked 15th. yeah passed on turner and allen for vucevic and mirotic. for collins, got sniped. those are 2 picks i think i made a mistake lol. i got nance though. will be targeting heavily on bigs on the wire for sure.

Thoughts on JV and Bropez for this build? I'm gonna try to target them too. 

Started this thread last year, and I've seen a few threads focusing on a single punting strategy so it might be a good idea to collate all our ideas here as draft season begins. Again, punting assists is the easiest and safest way to punt because it is not naturally weak on a second category like punting FG% (TOs) or PTS (FT%).

I have been practicing in mocks from the back end of a snake though and I have been having some trouble on combinations after the George-Oladipo-Kawhi tier. Butler and Embiid are good building blocks but if you are picking on the back end, who do you pair either with? Paul and Kyrie are DNDs for me because of their injuries and Mitchell (ranked too high) or Simmons (better fit for a punt FT% build) are not good fits for punt assists either.

From the 14th to 16th slots for example (I mostly play in 14 and 16 team leagues), the combinations I have been coming up with is:

• Butler/Gobert - so far my favorite, you come out the first two rounds with a good foundation but you have to find a way to make up for Rudy's points deficit. Drummond is a sexier name but I think his FT% still warrants a punt on that cat.
  • Butler/Embiid - this is a good combination too, since Embiid's TOs can be handled under a punt assist team. I'm just way of the mild injury risk in having BOTH Butler and Embiid as the cornerstones of your team.
  • Butler/Kemba - Jimmy's mild injury risk is mitigated by a safe pick in Kemba but you have to aggressively target bigman in the next rounds.
  • Kemba/Embiid - similar to the above combination, this time Kemba mitigating the injury risk of Embiid.
  • Kemba/Gobert - probably the safest combination.

These are my choices for the first two picks. As mentioned above, I wouldn't touch CP3, Kyrie, Mitchell, Simmons and Beal. Note that I am basing the ranks with Yahoo's current one.

Anyway after the first 2 rounds these are the players I aggressively target:

• Gary Harris - my favorite fantasy player and superb fit for the punt assist build.
  • Aaron Gordon - will be the man in ORL but you have to watch out for his %s.
  • Deandre Ayton - willing to target him in the 40s if need ba, can't deny the KAT-like rookie season potential because of the situation.
  • Myles Turner
  • Robert Covington

What are your builds? Would love to know yours.

For what it's worth - if the three players mentioned above (Dipo, George, Kawhi), I am definitely picking them over the combinations I stated above. These 3 are much easier to build around because of their stat-lines and clean bill of health except Kawhi of course but if he falls after pick 13 I am pouncing on him easily. For the players ranked before them, it would be much easier dictating a punting build because of their dominance in certain cats - AD/KAT are no brainer punt assists cornerstones. Ditto for Harden/Westy in punting FG%. Lebron and Giannis are fantastic fits on punt FT% on the other hand. For the last scenario if you get Giannis as your first pick just get one of Drummond or Capela in the second round and it's pretty much smooth sailing from there.

• Like 1

I don't know if it's best to c

1 hour ago, SicarioSanity said:

Started this thread last year, and I've seen a few threads focusing on a single punting strategy so it might be a good idea to collate all our ideas here as draft season begins.

I don't know if it's a good idea to collate all the punt posts into one thread, especially as the season goes and we start adding ideas of players who fit specific punts... Maybe what this thread should be more about is explaining what the various punt strategies are, what type of players to target, and link out to the individual strategy threads as they get created? Just my $0.02...

9 hours ago, SirMixalot said:

Thoughts on JV and Bropez for this build? I'm gonna try to target them too. 

They are good fits for the build although both have very low upside but decent floors. Assuming the Bucks play Brook a decent amount, he could be better than expected and maybe return to something close to his Nets days, but I don't think that is very likely. JV is what he is - an efficient big man who will rarely give you a phat line but usually provides something respectable while not hurting you at all. I think these guys are ok to draft after maybe round 6 or so in a 12 team league, earlier than that there are better upside options - such as: Collins (but with the hype he can be gone in the 4th), Whiteside, Ayton, Allen, Nance, etc. 

I think if Embiid is available in the 2nd (assuming PG, Kawhi, Dipo are gone), then you should take him next - over guys like Butler, Gobert, Drummond in a punt assists build. Main reason, when punting assists it can be a challenge to be strong enough in points and 3s because you end up taking less guards generally that score more than big men and sf/pf. With Embiid, you will get the scoring you need and big plus in 3s for a center, you lack those big time with Gobert, but are stronger in rebs, blocks, fg% with Gobert, which I see as less important as a good punt assist team should already be close to the league best in fg% - this is because you focus on big men and efficient wings. 

3 hours ago, SirMixalot said:

I don't know if it's best to c

I don't know if it's a good idea to collate all the punt posts into one thread, especially as the season goes and we start adding ideas of players who fit specific punts... Maybe what this thread should be more about is explaining what the various punt strategies are, what type of players to target, and link out to the individual strategy threads as they get created? Just my $0.02...

Agree. Punt threads are best separated. Merging topic to Punt Assist thread.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheOneAboveAll said:

Agree. Punt threads are best separated. Merging topic to Punt Assist thread.

No worries: just thought it might be a good idea to start a general one because of the great feedback from last year. 

Note that in my first post, I just explained my favorite strategy but the thread doesn’t have to be just about punting assists. Would’ve loved to get more insight about other strategies in one place. It should be also a good platform to discuss where certain players for certain punting strategies should be targeted. 

3 hours ago, richg24 said:

I think if Embiid is available in the 2nd (assuming PG, Kawhi, Dipo are gone), then you should take him next - over guys like Butler, Gobert, Drummond in a punt assists build. Main reason, when punting assists it can be a challenge to be strong enough in points and 3s because you end up taking less guards generally that score more than big men and sf/pf. With Embiid, you will get the scoring you need and big plus in 3s for a center, you lack those big time with Gobert, but are stronger in rebs, blocks, fg% with Gobert, which I see as less important as a good punt assist team should already be close to the league best in fg% - this is because you focus on big men and efficient wings. 

Trading the 3's for the TOs..only thing that sucks to grab Embiid..but agree!

I've been doing mocks like crazy (I know sad already..and I don't do fantasy football). I'm in a 10 team competitive league.

I've been finding doing Curry in the first round realllllly helps offset some of the weaknesses. 3's, steals, amazing %'s and he rebounds pretty well for a pg. So if I'm in the 3-6 range, I'm going to target him.

Beginning, obviously AD, Greek Freak and KD help a ton

End of the draft, again, having a strong pg eligible player helps so much especially if they do %'s. I've been grabbing Victor and either PG or Kawii if I can. Than trying to get Clint or another blocking big

Just did a Mock and drafted this

10 team- pick 9

Victor

PG

Gobert

Tobias Harris

Jamal Murry

Covington

Josh Richardson

Steven Adams

Jabri Parker

Dario Saric

RHJ

Brogdon

Taj Gibson

Probably not my best draft..I have steals and pretty much blocks locked up..FG%, FT%, points are a little iffy. Even though I have Gobert, I think I'm lacking on the boards. If I could redo it, I wouldn't choose Covington there and get another SF/PF or PF/C that can bring good %'s and boards

Edited by JLoson0550

2 hours ago, JLoson0550 said:

Just did a Mock and drafted this

10 team- pick 9

Victor

PG

Gobert

Tobias Harris

Jamal Murry

Covington

Josh Richardson

Steven Adams

Jabri Parker

Dario Saric

RHJ

Brogdon

Taj Gibson

Probably not my best draft..I have steals and pretty much blocks locked up..FG%, FT%, points are a little iffy. Even though I have Gobert, I think I'm lacking on the boards. If I could redo it, I wouldn't choose Covington there and get another SF/PF or PF/C that can bring good %'s and boards

You should have taken another big man early. It's too guard heavy for a beast punt assist team. You're blocks are solid but not dominant. Outside of gobert and Adams I dont think any of your players average 1+ block. Steals and 3s are excellent. Points should be good but not elite. Ft% below average. Lacking rebounds. Overall I would have tried to target some mid to late bigs like Collins, ayton, Allen, nance, etc. Picks I dont like: Jabari, saric, brogdon, Taj. 

17 minutes ago, richg24 said:

You should have taken another big man early. It's too guard heavy for a beast punt assist team. You're blocks are solid but not dominant. Outside of gobert and Adams I dont think any of your players average 1+ block. Steals and 3s are excellent. Points should be good but not elite. Ft% below average. Lacking rebounds. Overall I would have tried to target some mid to late bigs like Collins, ayton, Allen, nance, etc. Picks I dont like: Jabari, saric, brogdon, Taj. 

Totally agree. I was getting sniped (tried for Collins and Ayton). With Allen, Turner and Ayton moving up in the ranks, it's so hard to get a trio of them.

I'm targeting Parker in pretty much all my drafts. He's going to be 2nd option on that team and has a fg% and chips in everywhere + he's scores (needed points). Brogdon and Taj? Good % people? I've been targeting them on all my drafts it seems like, especially Brog

Edited by JLoson0550

Just drafted in a 14 team h2h league with deep bench.  I got AD at 5 and was gonna punt assists but another team was also punting assists, and a few teams loaded up on assists, so there was a somewhat barren wasteland between about 5-7 teams with low assist numbers.  So I switched gears and took some players later to make up the difference - Batum, James Johnson, Levert, Augustin, Lin.  Only other guard I had with assists is Kemba.  Hopefully it's enough to win against most of the lower assist teams.  If I can win half of those matches that could be an extra 10+ wins on the year, which could be a huge difference.   

3 hours ago, hipriest69 said:

Just drafted in a 14 team h2h league with deep bench.  I got AD at 5 and was gonna punt assists but another team was also punting assists, and a few teams loaded up on assists, so there was a somewhat barren wasteland between about 5-7 teams with low assist numbers.  So I switched gears and took some players later to make up the difference - Batum, James Johnson, Levert, Augustin, Lin.  Only other guard I had with assists is Kemba.  Hopefully it's enough to win against most of the lower assist teams.  If I can win half of those matches that could be an extra 10+ wins on the year, which could be a huge difference.   

Good job on the flexibility to change strategies midway during the draft! Can’t believe AD dropped to 5th though in any competitive league. I’m guessing KD, Giannis, KAT and Harden went before him?   Personally it’s only Giannis I’ll take over AD. 

18 hours ago, richg24 said:

If I get Process in the second round, who should I pair him with assuming that Kawhi PG and Dipo are gone in a punt assist build? Kemba? 

3 hours ago, SicarioSanity said:

If I get Process in the second round, who should I pair him with assuming that Kawhi PG and Dipo are gone in a punt assist build? Kemba? 

Depends on first round pick. If you went big-big like KAT + Embiid the next round you should focus on a good scoring strong steals guy. Steals very weak with that start so 3rd round targets would be like Middleton, otto porter. Another option is CJ because you fill your pg slot with a top 40 safe player that hits a lot of 3s with pretty good efficiency, that gets almost no value from his assists. Cj issue is the low steals so if you took CJ here you really need to focus steals in next 3 rounds like Gary harris, Covington, Josh Richardson etc. After getting like 2 of that group then go for another big like Myles Turner, Collins, Ayton, Allen, whiteside, etc. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, SicarioSanity said:

8 hours ago, richg24 said:

Depends on first round pick. If you went big-big like KAT + Embiid the next round you should focus on a good scoring strong steals guy. Steals very weak with that start so 3rd round targets would be like Middleton, otto porter. Another option is CJ because you fill your pg slot with a top 40 safe player that hits a lot of 3s with pretty good efficiency, that gets almost no value from his assists. Cj issue is the low steals so if you took CJ here you really need to focus steals in next 3 rounds like Gary harris, Covington, Josh Richardson etc. After getting like 2 of that group then go for another big like Myles Turner, Collins, Ayton, Allen, whiteside, etc. 

Probably Middleton and Harris would be your next 3's/steals/% play.  J Rich and Covington are also options.  Sorry its unclear who your first pick is (Embiid in the 2nd).  

11 hours ago, SicarioSanity said:

Good job on the flexibility to change strategies midway during the draft! Can’t believe AD dropped to 5th though in any competitive league. I’m guessing KD, Giannis, KAT and Harden went before him?   Personally it’s only Giannis I’ll take over AD. 

I really couldn't believe it either.  I think Giannis, KAT, Durant, and Westbrook went top 4.  So both Harden and AD fell to 5 and 6.  Unbelievable.  Giannis is below both imo. The numbers guys will definitely say its AD and Harden 1 and 2 and it's not even close.