JP_Grizzly

Mitchell Robinson 2018-19 Season Outlook

2 hours ago, brosephd said:

i rather own vonleh than mitchell. he has all the potential in the world however he is still really raw. best case would be he becomes like a poor man's whiteside if kanter is moved out. 

Agreed with the sentiment in valuing Vonleh over Mitch (I own Vonleh, and used to own Mitch).  However, I highly doubt he becomes Whiteside--the blocks and the FG% maybe?  Whiteside's offensive game is much smoother, and he gobbles up boards, due to having a huge motor.  Mitch looks so lumbering and slow on offense, and he rarely rolls to the rim.

2 hours ago, hornrimmed_rambis said:

Fiz will try Mitch at the 5 and Kornet at the 4, with Vonleh backing up both.

Kornet would be a stand-in for Porzingis. This is all the ideal scenario for the Knicks.

I doubt it.  Kornet's far too slow to play the 4.  Vonleh's loved because he hustles like crazy (also why he fouls so much) and can both challenge quicker PFs and also somewhat hold on against Cs.  I see Kornet like I see Bro-Lo today--a slow 5 who hangs around the 3 point line and spreads the floor for non-shooting guards/wings.

UniKorn vs the Unicorn?  Haha, I'm not sure I'd compare Kornet to Kristaps.  

Also, with Fitz's mad scientist rotations, it's nearly impossible to guess what he'll do.  My guess is that he splits time between Kornet and Mitch at the 5, since Mitch needs to hold down his fouls anyway and plays well in garbage time minutes.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MWon said:

Agreed with the sentiment in valuing Vonleh over Mitch (I own Vonleh, and used to own Mitch).  However, I highly doubt he becomes Whiteside--the blocks and the FG% maybe?  Whiteside's offensive game is much smoother, and he gobbles up boards, due to having a huge motor.  Mitch looks so lumbering and slow on offense, and he rarely rolls to the rim.

I doubt it.  Kornet's far too slow to play the 4.  Vonleh's loved because he hustles like crazy (also why he fouls so much) and can both challenge quicker PFs and also somewhat hold on against Cs.  I see Kornet like I see Bro-Lo today--a slow 5 who hangs around the 3 point line and spreads the floor for non-shooting guards/wings.

UniKorn vs the Unicorn?  Haha, I'm not sure I'd compare Kornet to Kristaps.  

Also, with Fitz's mad scientist rotations, it's nearly impossible to guess what he'll do.  My guess is that he splits time between Kornet and Mitch at the 5, since Mitch needs to hold down his fouls anyway and plays well in garbage time minutes.

We agree on a lot. I personally like Vonleh, and he is better than Korn or Mitch right now. 

I don't think Vonleh fits the long-term plan though, because they will have the Unicorn at 4 eventually. At that point, they will need a defensive C. I think they think that's Mitch.

Therefore, I think Kornet's role this season is just to be a 3p shooting big, next to to Mitch, the inside defensive C. 

But I have no real clue and Fiz is impossible to predict.

For me in deeper leagues he is a must own player come march... even if only for the reason to prevent playing against him on the opposing team

yeah he will have his fair share of duds but i feel there will be some huge games where he can win you blocks all by himself

• Like 1

He is playing tonight.

While tonight he will be limited, the question is what can Mitch do going forward, ROS? I think he is returning to a different team than the one he left with injury a month ago. Since then:

Kanter has had multiple tantrums about his lack of PT and demotion

Kanter has met with the team GM, Scott Perry, to discuss trade scenarios, and rumors indicate real negotiations are happening

Kornet has been hit or miss as starting C, with obvious limitations

Vonleh's minutes have been cut back to ~18 for some reason

I think Mitch is the starter at C within a week, and will be there ROS. I think Kanter will either be traded or fade, and either way, will not be relevant on this team in March. My guess on Mitch's ROS line:

9 pts, 8.5 boards, 1 stl, 2.4 blks 

60%FG, 62% FT%

Yes, that is optimistic, but not far from his splits as a C, and below his per-36. The only real challenge will be limiting foul rate. Hopefully, he manages to learn to hold back and not get called on defense on every drive. My personal opinion is that will take a month of pt, and a learning curve, but that he will learn. If Whiteside could learn, anyone can.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, hornrimmed_rambis said:

He is playing tonight.

While tonight he will be limited, the question is what can Mitch do going forward, ROS? I think he is returning to a different team than the one he left with injury a month ago. Since then:

Kanter has had multiple tantrums about his lack of PT and demotion

Kanter has met with the team GM, Scott Perry, to discuss trade scenarios, and rumors indicate real negotiations are happening

Kornet has been hit or miss as starting C, with obvious limitations

Vonleh's minutes have been cut back to ~18 for some reason

I think Mitch is the starter at C within a week, and will be there ROS. I think Kanter will either be traded or fade, and either way, will not be relevant on this team in March. My guess on Mitch's ROS line:

9 pts, 8.5 boards, 1 stl, 2.4 blks 

60%FG, 62% FT%

Yes, that is optimistic, but not far from his splits as a C, and below his per-36. The only real challenge will be limiting foul rate. Hopefully, he manages to learn to hold back and not get called on defense on every drive. My personal opinion is that will take a month of pt, and a learning curve, but that he will learn. If Whiteside could learn, anyone can.

Thanks for the post.. definitely going to keep an eye on this guy going forward.  He's sitting there on my FA wire right now.. just thinking it's too early to grab him.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Padilla814 said:

Worth a grab over Vonleh or Kornet?

I liked Vonleh until 3 games ago, but for whatever reason, his role has been reduced to 18 minutes. I have no idea why. 

For the upside, I'd rather have Mitch than either of those. Blocks are the hardest category to stream. Rebounds and 3pm relatively easy. If all these guys hit their ceilings, Mitch's ceiling is, by far, the highest.

• Thanks 1

Just now, hornrimmed_rambis said:

I liked Vonleh until 3 games ago, but for whatever reason, his role has been reduced to 18 minutes. I have no idea why. 

For the upside, I'd rather have Mitch than either of those. Blocks are the hardest category to stream. Rebounds and 3pm relatively easy. If all these guys hit their ceilings, Mitch's ceiling is, by far, the highest.

You know why.  Fizdale.  The only one immune is Hardaway.  Everyone else has had wild minute and rotation swings.  Everyone.  No one is immune.  Even Mitch.  

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, hornrimmed_rambis said:

First of those games was a blowout vs GSW, then he was in foul trouble vs the Pacers and 6ers, finishing both games with 5 fouls.  He's also been pretty bad in that stretch, posting +/- of -28, -13, and -32 in those games. 

It's obvious why he posted bad stats vs GSW, and I think the other 2 poor performances can be attributed to Kanter's and Robinson's absences. I may be wrong, but they probably put Vonleh on Myles Turner and on Embiid and he couldn't handle their size. I think he'll improve in the upcoming games. Mitchell and Kanter will mostly impact Kornet's minutes and will free up Vonleh to play the 4. Which is great bc the Knicks have a pretty tough stretch for Cs leading up to the ASB.

• Like 1

5 minutes... 2 points - 1 rebound at the half...

interestingly enough.... Kanter has zero minutes....while Kornet leads the team with 18

1 minute ago, lacit1707 said:

5 minutes... 2 points - 1 rebound at the half...

interestingly enough.... Kanter has zero minutes....while Kornet leads the team with 18

Kanter didnt go.  He is scared of the Turkish president outside of the United States.

• Like 1

Just now, RingMyBell said:

Kanter didnt go.  He is scared of the Turkish president outside of the United States.

duuuuuhhhh... haha, i knew that......never mind...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I like MRob better.

Report saying Kanter is now 3rd string center and that getting minutes for Kornet and MRob is priority.  Is it time to get on the hype train?

Edited by Padilla814

1 minute ago, Padilla814 said:

Report saying Kanter is now 3rd string center and that getting minutes for Kornet and MRob is priority.  Is it time to get on the hype train?

Rather Kornet for season long leagues imo

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MuscleChestbrook said:

Lmao. Fouled out. Decent line though. 

So what? 8-6, 2 blks, and a steal? And upside from here? Sign me up.

Edited by hornrimmed_rambis
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Must roster 12+ with Kornet out of the picture for the next while? 

Or is this still a wait and see situation? 

6 minutes ago, heero78 said:

Must roster 12+ with Kornet out of the picture for the next while? 

Or is this still a wait and see situation? 

Rostering him has never been the issue, it's the 6 fouls every 15-minute stint that's worrying.  He should improve on that as he plays more tho.

I have him in roto and am going to bench him until later in the season and see if his minutes and production increase first, then unleash him at his peak (also to manage games played).