Sign in to follow this  
Flyman75

Already trying to process through keepers for 2019...

Okay, so I'm WAY out in front in my roto league, and the only thing really keeping me interested (aside from trying to set a new high in our league for total points) is looking at my potential keepers for 2019. 

12-team league, traditional 5x5, can keep players up to two years after drafting them. Eight keepers, 30-round draft. Keepers are tagged with the rounds they are drafted in. If they are /free agent/waiver adds, they start counting in round 23. So theoretically, someone can keep 8 guys they picked up off the wire and keep them in Rds 23-30. Can only keep one player in each of the first four rounds (one 1st rd player, one 2nd rd player, etc). 

My reasonable options:

1. JDM (one yr left)

2. Sale

3. Khrush (one yr left), Cain

4. Benintendi, Merrifield, Paxton

5. Odor

10. Nola (one yr left)

20. Ohtani (batter)

21. Renfroe

FA. Mondesi

FA. Aguilar

FA. Olson (one yr left)

FA. Franmil

FA. GMarquez

JDM and Sale would seem like easy keeps, but I'm not so sure. I'm estimating that 8-9 guys are going to have a 1st rd keeper. And then there are some guys getting tossed back because they have run out of keeper eligibility or because a team acquired multiple first rd keepers through trades. Since I'll have 12th and 13th overall picks, I could end up having the 4th-5th picks if 8 1st rd guys are kept. 

Here are some names...

Three of: Arenado, Machado, Stanton, Goldy (all are on the same team). 

JDM and Sale if I throw both back. 

JoRam, Bregman, TTurner, Marte. 

Blackmon, Klubor, Bryant, Votto, Rizzo. 

I could toss JDM and Sale back, opening up my first two picks to get two of those guys. Or am I overthinking this? 

With all that in mind...which of these 8 would you keep. 

And for all those who say Benintendi over Merrifield...I'm not so sure about that. Beni is more popular, but Merrifield might be the better keeper. That would also toss Beni into that 1-2 rd mix. 

My two cents are: Definitely hang onto Nola, Renfroe, and Aguilar.  Can't beat the value.  Ohtani also, but completely dependent on what route he takes with surgery.  I'd also probably do Cain, Sale, Merrifield, and Mondesi.

NOt quite clear if you have to keep 8, but given what you posted, those are the 8 I'd keep.  If you think your going to have potentially the 4th or 5th overall pick with some of those names out there, I would not use your first round keeper on JDM.  Sale however is worth it IMO.

• Thanks 1

Yeah, I agree with the above poster. I don't know what Ohtanni will do though, I hope you don't need to declare your keepers right away.

• Thanks 1

I disagree 

JDM is a first round pick that should be kept . Name another player better that won't be kept . You said 8-9 first will be kept .

i would also consider keeping Merrifield .

You won't get anybody better with your first pick thanJdm . From what you posted he would be the first pick given the others being kept . You'll end up with a second rounder in the first round . 

• Thanks 1

On ‎9‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 5:13 PM, motown magic said:

I disagree 

JDM is a first round pick that should be kept . Name another player better that won't be kept . You said 8-9 first will be kept .

i would also consider keeping Merrifield .

You won't get anybody better with your first pick thanJdm . From what you posted he would be the first pick given the others being kept . You'll end up with a second rounder in the first round . 

You should read the entire post.  He named at least three that are definitely better, and at least three others that are equal or arguably better choices because they are younger.

On ‎9‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 6:16 PM, Flyman75 said:

Here are some names...

Three of: Arenado, Machado, Stanton, Goldy (all are on the same team). 

JDM and Sale if I throw both back. 

JoRam, Bregman, T Turner, Marte. 

Blackmon, Klubor, Bryant, Votto, Rizzo. 

JDM is on the wrong side of 30, and is a DH.  Can't judge strictly on his numbers this year.  Its a keeper league.  Have to try and project what he's gonna do the next few years, and he's not gonna get any better than right now.  Worst case scenario, throw him back and he's the best option to draft, but you've given yourself another keeper elsewhere.

• Thanks 1

Given the payers being kept my guess is JDM is first off the board if thrown back . 

JDM plays for the best team in baseball not the Royals and had played over 50 games in the outfield . You take your chance with somebody else . I'll take mine with JDM 

• Thanks 1

So working through this...

One Question circles around DH and your position requirements - if they are 20 games, then you would have a decision to make between Ohtani and Davis, since both would be DH only, if its 10 games, Davis would be OF eligible.  

No Doubts:

Nola - stone cold lock at that price. 

Merrifield - backed up his 2017 - great across the board contributor and bags are premium

Kris Davis 3rd round, especially for you because its the back end of the 3rd round if you have last pick of 1st - so great value there.  

Jesus Aguilar and Matt Olson are great power guys at that price - I keep them both.  (Assuming you have CI) - you have a lot of power with Davis and Aguilar and potentially Ohtani and maybe JDM - I could get behind Marquez here also, there are bound to be a lot of great pitching keepers, and Im a big believer in a strong roto staff. 

Ohtani in 20th - Im thinking he DH's pretty much full time next year

So then comes the high priced guys.  

JDM - is awesome but for me, I think he kind of doubles down on where you are strong - HR guys.  I might let him pass and see what left side infield guys (machado, Ramirez might fall to you.  

Sale - I think given where your keepers are in relation to the draft, I worry about your ability to put together a lights out roto staff, I would be tempted to keep Sale just to anchor along with Nola.  

• Thanks 1

On ‎09‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 5:16 PM, Flyman75 said:

That would also toss Beni into that 1-2 rd mix. 

Why would you do this if you can keep him in the 4th?

I would agree with putting JDM back and getting a 1st round pick to get one of those other guys.  Worse case scenario is you redraft him maybe?

My keepers would be

2 - Sale

3-  Cain

4-  Benintendi

10 - Nola

20 - Ohtani

FA - Aguilar

FA - Marquez

FA - Olson or Franmil.  If Reyes was guaranteed a full time spot, I would prefer him.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TheTruth024 said:

Why would you do this if you can keep him in the 4th?

Because I think I’d rather keep Merrifield in the 4th.