Sign in to follow this  
tongs

Kemba Walker 2018-2019 Season Outlook

No more Dwight, Tony Parker to coach. Contract year, not that it really matters, but he's only getting 12 mil next year. 

The supposed increase in pace and ball movement looks like a tide that rises all ships. Could be nice improvements and bounce back years around the whole roster.

Averaging 22-3-5-1stl last year with great FT and 3 threes, I'd love if he could get over the .450 FG hump.. shooting .430 on 17 attempts is a real drag on his value. 

What are we projecting this year? Increase in assists, turnovers, with the same FG but less attempts? I love the durability this guy has, and basically the only star on a team of role players. Great recipe for fantasy...

• Like 3

I think he looked a bit unmotivated last year for some reason, and i think that the contract year along with Tony being there will motivate him to play better. I expect around 26-3-6-1.5 with 2.5 3s which makes him a top 25 player in my opinion. I dont think the fg% will improve as he is a majority jump shooter and takes contested layups, but i dont mind that with his elite ft%.

I do think his FG will bump up a little.  He's really worked on finishing at the rim this offseason.  A small improvement there can only help. 

He is top 20 . And he should able to put up number but who else can you go for instead of me .. 

in yahoo he rank#14 is too high,but in espn he rank#41 is too low

10 hours ago, papocrain said:

I drafted kemba over john wall. Was it the right decision???

Wall will probably bounce back from what he produced last season but it's yet to be seen if he gets back to the 1/2 round turn value.
I expect him to finish close to Kemba this season so it's probably a coin toss. I would probably choose Kemba just because Wall's last season still worries me a bit... And because of Kemba's contract year combined with with Charlotte's coaching changes... And now it's Wall who has to deal with Dwight :D

Edited by slmroz
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, papocrain said:

I drafted kemba over john wall. Was it the right decision???

John Wall' knee problem will concern me for the rest of his career. I think you made the right choice.

• Like 1

Dwight's impact shouldn't be underestimated either. He thinks he's prime Shaq, saying "dump the ball into me and watch me be amazing." Except they dump the ball into him and everyone else stops moving and they turn the ball over.

+ for Kemba

- for Wall

• Like 3

Top 20 guy this year imo with Dwight gone. He was already on the borderline last year. I'll be targeting him if I can't get my hands on Curry/Russ/Lillard if I'm going for a PG-led strategy

An interesting choice would be: CP3 or Kemba? I can see them falling in that mid-to-late teens this year. CP3 inevitably gets injured every year and he's only getting older - I don't know if I'd touch him in the top 20 even though he's one of my favorite players and I draft him pretty much every year. Kemba's been pretty durable and he's the biggest offensive weapon his team. I can see him putting up 23/6/3 with 1.2 stls and ~3 triples. His fg% is dodgy of course, so buyer beware.

Edited by fabrar

Loving Kemba this year. Loving a lot of the Hornets actually - Batum, Lamb, Hernangomez all scream value to me. Kemba will never be confused with a rebounder, but he did average 4.4 and 3.9 the two years before Dwight came (down to 3.1 last year). So he should bump up from being a bad rebounder to a little below average. That's obviously good. Also, let's not underestimate the impact of MKG playing off the bench more. Kemba will now be surrounded by (likely) Lamb, Batum, Williams in the starting lineup. More shooters to kick to, more room for driving as well. I wouldn't be surprised if his assists ticked over 6.0 this year. If the Hornets do play more up-tempo as Borrego would like, it also means more possessions, and more defensive possessions. So, more steals. 

The obvious negative here is fg%. I think if you draft one of those monster fg% guys round one (Durant, Towns, Giannis, LeBron, Jokic) then Kemba becomes a great pair as you can still be very competitive in fg%. He makes up for the points of a guy like Jokic (nothing wrong with 20 ppg, it's just not the 25 of the other guys), he makes up for the lack of 3's for a guy like Giannis, he gets you started in assists if you've got Towns, etc. 

I'll put Kemba somewhere in the range of 23/4/6 with 2.5+ 3pm, 1.3+ steals, poor fg%, great ft%. I basically expect him to do what he's been doing, with a few stat increases across the board. Very clear target for me starting around pick 17/18. 

• Like 3

Of course you can draft Kemba at second half of the 2nd round, but you can pair with one of studs (like was said: KAT, Jokic, Giannis, Durant, LBJ) also some other point guards like Lowry, Irving, Wall, Holiday or Bledsoe. I don't think mentioned players are worse than Kemba. Yesterday I had 20th pick and I preferred Wall (CP3 was already taken). Kemba is not my favourite second tier PG.

15 minutes ago, apatas said:

Of course you can draft Kemba at second half of the 2nd round, but you can pair with one of studs (like was said: KAT, Jokic, Giannis, Durant, LBJ) also some other point guards like Lowry, Irving, Wall, Holiday or Bledsoe. I don't think mentioned players are worse than Kemba. Yesterday I had 20th pick and I preferred Wall (CP3 was already taken). Kemba is not my favourite second tier PG.

I've yet to do my rankings but Kemba probably has the least flags of the bunch.  This isn't an indication of who I'd take (I'm a sucker for Wall, love watching him play), but worth noting. Kemba's in the prime of his career, playing in an up-tempo system, no more Dwight, and has had three straight years of 79+ games. Lowry I do like, but Kemba's numbers have stayed the same whereas Kyle's usage (shot attempts) dropped last year. He's also 32. Kyrie is hurt all the time and now the Celtics get Hayward back. It remains to be seen what happens there. Wall is my favorite out of that bunch, but he's coming off a season where he missed 40 games, his team added stat-drainer Dwight, and the Wizards lead the NBA with most B2B games (not good for someone with bad knees). Holiday I don't have as many concerns with as others do, but he's not the scorer or 3 point shooter that Walker is, which is what I likely want if I'm drafting a Towns/Giannis/LeBron/Jokic early. Eric Bledsoe is one of my favorite players in basketball, but has a checkered injury history and I've read a few times the Bucks would be just fine moving his contract. That's concerning, and there's no guarantee he goes to a team where he has a big role. 

All of those players are great, and if you get 75-80 games out of them, you've likely got yourself a stud. The fun of category basketball is building your team. End of the day, I don't think there's 100% a wrong answer out of the bunch, and just take who you like. But there's definitely a few I like Kemba over, that's just my two cents. 

• Like 3

I never understand why some players here get more love than others who are basically very near them in fantasy rankings. I am used to that usually people are talking about efficiency, but Kemba is not by any means more efficient than Irving or Holiday and only slightly better than Lowry. Of course Wall is inefficient, but he is the best in stocks and assists. I don't know what stats others look but if we are talking about early round PG-s, then I usually take into account three things (in order of importance): 1) AST+STL 2) out of position rebounds 3) FT%. In point one only Irving is worse than Kemba, in point two nobody is worse than Kemba and only in point three Kemba is one of the best.

Edited by apatas

I'm going to say if you miss out on Kemba and want similar stats two rounds later you could target Jamal Murray.  Not quite as many points, 3's, and FT attempts, but almost there, with 4-5% better FG.