alpè

Isaiah Thomas 2018-2019 Season Outlook

Can't open topics, so I make my question here... what to expect from IT this 2018-19 season? An all star level comeback? A reliable sixth man? Is he worth drafting in last round? I don't know if he will be fantasy friendly ever again (in hoops terms, which I see are never seen here, btw) 

I’m holding onto him in my dynasty league because I’m relatively thin at PG meaning I may have moved him for crumbs or simply dropped him if I had better options. As for this season, he’s playing for a coach that believes in him and helped IT gain relevance back in Sacramento. I think Malone is going to let him be the lead dog off the bench which can either be good or bad due to his high volume play style. I actually do believe he is healthy and could possibly post 15-18 PPG, 2-3 threes, and 5-6 assists. He won’t give you steals or rebs but where I find IT most helpful is his ability to get to the line and connect at a high volume. With Barton now in the starting lineup, IT can run the show and I think he would be worth your second or last pick this year if it makes sense for your team’s statistical makeup. 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, AndreSplash said:

I’m holding onto him in my dynasty league because I’m relatively thin at PG meaning I may have moved him for crumbs or simply dropped him if I had better options. As for this season, he’s playing for a coach that believes in him and helped IT gain relevance back in Sacramento. I think Malone is going to let him be the lead dog off the bench which can either be good or bad due to his high volume play style. I actually do believe he is healthy and could possibly post 15-18 PPG, 2-3 threes, and 5-6 assists. He won’t give you steals or rebs but where I find IT most helpful is his ability to get to the line and connect at a high volume. With Barton now in the starting lineup, IT can run the show and I think he would be worth your second or last pick this year if it makes sense for your team’s statistical makeup. 

I generally agree with this assessment as well. I do think the projections are a little high - I think he'll be closer to 12-15 ppg and 4-5 dimes but he should be good for 2-3 triples. His fg is shaky but ft should be good. I'll definitely target him in the last 3 or so rounds to fill out the guard slots. 

IT looks to be in a bad situation where the depth is thick in the positions he can contribute. He was in a similar situation in Phoenix with too many guards. I would say 2 3s at most. I’m not so interested unless roster changes happen.

If he still cannot get the lift he did prior to the hip injury - this dude is done! 

Without the athletic ability he had pre-injury, then he is a below 40% shoot first point guard who gets even less steals then he already did, and will probably get to the line less and less.  No thank you! 

• Like 1

If I can get IT2 after 100 I might bite, although roster composition and league settings would factor heavily into such an equation. A couple of factors working against him this season: Murray is a good player, his hip injury was significant and could continue to impact him moving forward, and he's no spring chicken. I've been an IT2 guy going back to his Sacramento days, but given his relatively limited upside barring a Murray injury (who has been healthy up to this point), I can't see myself taking the plunge on him except in very specific cases or if he would fall far enough. Even if he can remain healthy, you can be sure there will be some rest days in his future, which could be problematic in certain formats. I wouldn't necessarily be surprised if he can outperform expectations post-surgery, but there are too many higher upside players I would rather pursue within the same range. On a brighter note, there aren't many players after 100 who could be positive contributors in PTS, FT% and AST.

I think the more pertinent question here is whether Malone could redistribute some of Murray's minutes to IT2. Don't get me wrong, Murray is clearly the player more deserving of minutes at this point, but Malone also isn't the brightest bulb in the shed. Plus, you have to figure that on some nights IT2 will have the hot hand, in which case I could see Malone going away from Murray down the stretch. Murray would receive the bulk of the PG minutes in any scenario, but for fantasy purposes, there would be a big difference between him getting 35mpg as he did toward the end of last season and the 31mpg he might receive if IT2 takes over on some nights. Just something to think about when considering Murray in the first half of a draft.

Sucks this happened to IT2, but he's not a guy who can afford to lose any athleticism. With that said, I'll definitely be monitoring him in the preseason to see how he's moving these days. If he looks better than expected and/or reports on him are generally positive, I may become a bit more bullish on him.

• Like 3

On 13.10.2018 г. at 3:49 AM, wildcat62 said:

When is he going to get a IR tag in Yahoo?

I am waiting for that in ESPN, too! Recent reports suggest that IT will not play in Denver`s opener, but i think both ESPN and Yahoo are waiting for clear message from the team and in the meantime i can`t add Brogdon from the waivers :unsure:

26 minutes ago, thefamily79 said:

has he done any basketball activities yet?  i'd hate to drop him and see him back in 10 days

I think he hasn't done anything. They would have mentioned something but not sure. It's tricky. He should have been back 2 months ago, don't know whats going on

1 hour ago, Chrizz said:

Would you drop him in leagues with no IR spot?

Absolutely, if someone good is available out there.

Guys registered to ask this.

I have Isaiah in my team but thought he's gonna come back already.

I got a trade proposal Bjelica from Kings for Isaiah. 

What do you think? Is it worth waiting for him or get Bjelica who has some decent start?

3 minutes ago, Axl15 said:

Guys registered to ask this.

I have Isaiah in my team but thought he's gonna come back already.

I got a trade proposal Bjelica from Kings for Isaiah. 

What do you think? Is it worth waiting for him or get Bjelica who has some decent start?

ask in AC forum

• Like 1

He might return in December.

any idea what his production will look like? I love this dude as a basketball player as someone who always roots for the underdog but how is he in fantasy?

As much as I want him to be a starter. Realistically, I feel like he'll be put in a 6 man role behind Jamal Murray

Ooooh thanks! I don’t think Rotoworld posted this yet.

nuggets do have a lot of options on offense so I don’t think he will average more than 15 a game. They can’t play him and Jokic together either because that would be the worst defense in NBA history. 

But he has proven me wrong many times... so who knows