alpè

Isaiah Thomas 2018-2019 Season Outlook

with Nuggets wanting to grow their core group I don't see IT being a factor at all this season off the bench, at best 11pts/1reb/2ast/0.2stls w/1.5 3's 2TO's I project

i  don't think Denver cares as much about "growing their core" as much as they do winning a championship this year if they can. You gotta think IT gives them a better chance than Monte Morris (and possibly even Jamal Murray). I think that if he returns and can stay healthy for a few weeks he winds up with around 20--25 mpg. An injury to Murray would immediately give him 25-30 mpg. He only needs 20-25 mpg to produce better than anyone you can pluck off your ww. 

So .  .When is soon? This is like grade school when I told my dad I will be done playing Nintendo soon...

• Haha 3

Nuggets bring 3 qualify players off the bench in Morris, Beasley, and Barton, so I still have a hard time seeing IT being fantasy relevant. It’s not like Nuggets need offense. They need defense around Jokic, not a 5’8” minus defender. 

6 hours ago, bballshinobi said:

Nuggets bring 3 qualify players off the bench in Morris, Beasley, and Barton, so I still have a hard time seeing IT being fantasy relevant. It’s not like Nuggets need offense. They need defense around Jokic, not a 5’8” minus defender. 

IT is a much better player than Morris. Morris moves to third string immediately upon IT's return (at least that's what SHOULD happen). I guess we'll see. Just curious - do you have any stock in IT or do you just frequent this thread to spread pessimism?

5 minutes ago, Dirty Little Birdie said:

IT is a much better player than Morris. Morris moves to third string immediately upon IT's return (at least that's what SHOULD happen). I guess we'll see. Just curious - do you have any stock in IT or do you just frequent this thread to spread pessimism?

Morris is actually a very good young player.  IT hasn't been healthy in 2+ years so it remains to be seen if he can be effective in a 6th man role even if he somehow can stay healthy.

1 hour ago, El_Chingon said:

Morris is actually a very good young player.  IT hasn't been healthy in 2+ years so it remains to be seen if he can be effective in a 6th man role even if he somehow can stay healthy.

I totally agree Morris is good. Assuming he comes back healthy, I think IT is still better. 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Dirty Little Birdie said:

I totally agree Morris is good. Assuming he comes back healthy, I think IT is still better. 

If the role to be fulfilled is the #1 offensive option with no defense required, then yes, IT is better. However, if the role is to be the backup PG who can keep the offense flowing and play solid defense, then the answer is Mnote Morris by a mile. Does the Nuggets need a #1 offensive option? Or do they need a backup PG? 

IT is running into the same problem Carmelo did: he can still score but no team wants/needs him as the primary scorer, therefore his strength is minimized while his weakness (defense) is too prominently exposed. Melo is sent home by the Rockets is because they realized they should just play a guy who locks down on defense and funnel all the offense to their top guns. Same thing is going to happen to IT when he comes back  - not that he's gonna kicked off the team - and he will just be asked to play a small role. A guy like him needs to be on either a really really garbage team or a team that doesn't have any capable offensive players. Offense, unfortunately, is one thing Nuggets don't lack.

Edited by bballshinobi
  • Like 2

He was dropped in my league this week so I'm tempted to pick him up. But dang, it's hard to stash him when my IL spots are already full.

On 1/4/2019 at 11:44 AM, bballshinobi said:

If the role to be fulfilled is the #1 offensive option with no defense required, then yes, IT is better. However, if the role is to be the backup PG who can keep the offense flowing and play solid defense, then the answer is Mnote Morris by a mile. Does the Nuggets need a #1 offensive option? Or do they need a backup PG? 

IT is running into the same problem Carmelo did: he can still score but no team wants/needs him as the primary scorer, therefore his strength is minimized while his weakness (defense) is too prominently exposed. Melo is sent home by the Rockets is because they realized they should just play a guy who locks down on defense and funnel all the offense to their top guns. Same thing is going to happen to IT when he comes back  - not that he's gonna kicked off the team - and he will just be asked to play a small role. A guy like him needs to be on either a really really garbage team or a team that doesn't have any capable offensive players. Offense, unfortunately, is one thing Nuggets don't lack.

So trade IT to the Suns? lol or Atlanta.

Boston rode him into the ground.  He bet on himself once and struck out.  Now, he is setting up to strike out again.  He was an exciting player when healthy.  However, hip injuries can be devastating to players who rely on speed.  He signed a  one year contract to prove it contract and he is running out of time. I can see him heading overseas.

Edited by mbroo5880i

At this point, Porzi will come back sooner than this guy

Is he worth stashing in IR in dynasty leagues? He's probably irrelevant this year in standard leagues but I am curious what will happen next year. 

I am not looking for a stud.. Just someone that is rosterable. 

so did anyone else catch the fact that he said "25 more days" yesterday then deleted it? Seems like he's 3-4 weeks away. I guess thats better than not knowing...

Isaiah Thomas (hip) is targeting a return on February 11th against the Heat or February 13th against the Kings according to ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski.

Thomas' now-deleted tweet of "25 days" fits this timeline. According to Woj, Thomas "has been gathering momentum in his rehabilitation process from hip surgery in March" and there is "strong confidence that he will return no later than the first game of the post-All Star break on Feb. 22 in Dallas." Thomas is expected to go through 5-on-5 scrimmages in the near future, and while this is great news for Denver, fantasy owners shouldn't be rushing to the wire to grab him outside of deeper formats -- Denver is deep at both guard spots and Thomas will have heavy restrictions.

• Like 1