Jake the snake

Otto Porter 2018-2019 Season outlook

150510_0dd94ca60b234c43a5d8308364ecf903.

Otto owners must hate wall

Edited by kane
  • Haha 3

31 minutes ago, T_Rex said:

Harry Porter Jr. Close enough.

What a spineless ******** a** hat of a “leader”. Damn it you’re a** because you can’t shoot and refuse to pass to someone who can.  It’s ******** embarrassing.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, StifleTower2 said:

What a spineless ******** a** hat of a “leader”. Damn it you’re a** because you can’t shoot and refuse to pass to someone who can.  It’s ******** embarrassing.  

Who? Wall? I’m just trying to figure this wizards mess out. 

6 minutes ago, molski said:

Who? Wall? I’m just trying to figure this wizards mess out. 

Ofc wall.  Who else?  He’s supposed to be the leader.  Leaders don’t blame their subordinates.  Leaders fix problems not create them. 

• Like 1

Wall lost his favorite teammate in Gortat so he is looking for a new one. I'm also not sure how Dwight fixes things on the Wizards when Cody Zeller makes the Hornets better as a starter.

There are some « bad vibes » for the PG from Wash..(Arenas/Wall)

Differents stories but same results.

I don’t know if the organisation is  too « light » but they have to impose himsel!!!

I just traded for this guy with Hayward, betting on a regression to his shooting averages and, if anything, his stock contributions. He can average 10pts for all I care, knowing Dwight will suck up touches, but a Danny Green-like line is more than enough for me.

What's the eye test on this guy and on the entire Wizards team?

Have seen couple of games so-so.. and they play really bad defense. No chemistry/cohesion other than Wall and Beal.

I think Otto's production has high dependency on Wizards' record and chemistry.

If they continue losing games, Otto will remain bad. Or more like if they let Otto play to his potential then they will start winning games.

Does anyone have a scoop on Wall and Beal's sentiments other than the rumor where Otto was complaining about not getting enough shots?

3 hours ago, wisegeeks said:

What's the eye test on this guy and on the entire Wizards team?

Have seen couple of games so-so.. and they play really bad defense. No chemistry/cohesion other than Wall and Beal.

I think Otto's production has high dependency on Wizards' record and chemistry.

If they continue losing games, Otto will remain bad. Or more like if they let Otto play to his potential then they will start winning games.

Does anyone have a scoop on Wall and Beal's sentiments other than the rumor where Otto was complaining about not getting enough shots?

Life long 'zards fan and DC native here.. this season seems much more about team playing badly as a unit than Porter himself, so many times team isn't making an extra pass etc... Effort is down across the board too.

I like Otto's potential if you can afford to hold him, there is going to be a big trade here in DC I can feel it. But I think subparr production well into December is possible. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, superninja said:

Life long 'zards fan and DC native here.. this season seems much more about team playing badly as a unit than Porter himself, so many times team isn't making an extra pass etc... Effort is down across the board too.

I like Otto's potential if you can afford to hold him, there is going to be a big trade here in DC I can feel it. But I think subparr production well into December is possible. 

Thanks!! Well appreciated straight from DC!!

What kind of trade are you guys feeling? For rebuild? And who is on the trading block? I'm hearing a lot of Otto

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, MillenWasmyFavorite said:

Gortat did more than he was given credit for. 

Porter is the ultimate team player on the floor w/ two black holes.

The funny part is that you can tell the two black holes were getting annoyed that a third player was emerging as a viable option on the team. Beal and Wall can barely handle playing with each other let alone a 3rd good player. 

3 hours ago, wisegeeks said:

Thanks!! Well appreciated straight from DC!!

What kind of trade are you guys feeling? For rebuild? And who is on the trading block? I'm hearing a lot of Otto

Also a DC homer and while it wouldn't shock me, I don't see a major trade happening during the season.  

Porter has been mentioned in a potential Jimmy Butler deal but I think its very unlikely.  And Otto has a 15% trade kicker in his contract that makes dealing him more complicated than it would appear at first glance.  

Wall and Beal have also been the subject of frequent trade rumors.  I really don't see another team taking on Wall's supermax at this point and its been widely reported that Washington would get more in return for the younger and more affordable Beal, who had some Laker trade rumors swirling last week.  But again, I think the chances of the team moving either are very slim IMO.

I think the most likely in season shake up in DC would be a Brooks firing, which I think should happen but I'd put at a relatively small chance of going down.  My guess is that any major moves will wait until the off-season starting with, hopefully, the firing of GM Grunfeld.

In terms of Otto's fantasy value this feels a lil like groundhog day to me.  I rostered Wall, Porter, and Oubre for much of last season, there was a lot of team drama, and there were nights when I actually played Oubre over Porter.  Otto struggled for stretches last year before really solidifying his lines in the latter part of the season.  Over the summer, people seemed to forget about Otto's earlier season struggles and he was widely considered a top 20-30 player.  And I think he is, but folks seemed to forget that so much of his value comes from efficiency and as a low usage player, if and when his shots aren't falling and he's not making 3s, he doesn't get the kind of volume to make up for it.  So he's gonna have stretches where he struggles to produce great lines.

I do think this team is dysfunctional but also think they will play better and end up being a .500 team and likely back into a playoff spot in the East.  They had a 5 game West Coast trip starting the 3rd game of the season, which isn't easy to do.  They were also without Howard who even with all his faults, is substantially better than any other big on the roster.  Their defense so far has been ATROCIOUS and I do think having a real rim protector will lead to some improvements there.

All that to say, if I'm a Porter owner I'd hang tight and expect better days ahead.  There will be some frustrating stretches but come 2nd half of the season, I think you will get the efficiency, stocks, 3s, and other stats you signed up for on a consistent basis.

The off-season is when things will get very interesting in DC IMO.

Edited by VaTerp
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, VaTerp said:

Over the summer, people seemed to forget about Otto's earlier season struggles and he was widely considered a top 20-30 player.

Even with his early season struggles last year he was ranked #25 on BBM through 10/17/17 - 12/17/17 with averages of 14.5/6.8/1.8 w 1.5 steals and 1.7 3s at 50% shooting

Compared to this years 10.5/5/1.3/ w 1.4 steals and 1.1 3s at 43% shooting

He was also taking 11 shots per game to this years 9. Something is flat out wrong with this offense/chemistry and Otto is right at the center of it all. As an owner we have no choice but to sit and hold tight. His value is way too load to trade and we all know we can't drop.  Wizards need to get this figured out.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, wideopen21 said:

The funny part is that you can tell the two black holes were getting annoyed that a third player was emerging as a viable option on the team. Beal and Wall can barely handle playing with each other let alone a 3rd good player. 

Sadly, in addition to this:

He did so without really infringing on their success. Arguably made their usage easier. 

Pretty basic recipe for coaching failure:

Have two alphas on their team (good or not), channel their resentment toward a bonafide elite non-alpha. 

• Like 2

Does anyone think Wall/Beal are self-aware enough to realize that there might be some correlation between their selfishness and their losing?  Nah.  No?, they will just blame Otto somehow. 

3 minutes ago, MillenWasmyFavorite said:

Sadly, in addition to this:

He did so without really infringing on their success. Arguably made their usage easier. 

Pretty basic recipe for coaching failure:

Have two alphas on their team (good or not), channel their resentment toward a bonafide elite non-alpha. 

Wall and Beal are just salty, they're making less $$ than Porter this season :lol:

18 minutes ago, StifleTower2 said:

Does anyone think Wall/Beal are self-aware enough to realize that there might be some correlation between their selfishness and their losing?  Nah.  No?, they will just blame Otto somehow. 

No.

Beal shouldn't be expected to -- he is there for buckets.

The knock on Wall has always been leadership. He has always had questioned leadership. This season will really hammer him for that lacking quality. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MillenWasmyFavorite said:

No.

Beal shouldn't be expected to -- he is there for buckets.

The knock on Wall has always been leadership. He has always had questioned leadership. This season will really hammer him for that lacking quality. 

On top of that, they bring in D12 another questionable leader, hoping for a trade for Otto out of this asylum.

• Like 1