Jake the snake

Otto Porter 2018-2019 Season outlook

Time to panic.  

Ive owned him 3 years in a row in my main redraft.  2nd half of last year I said I wasn't drafting him again this year, then there he was at the end of the 4th and I couldn't help myself.  I would sell low if someone sent me a legitimate offer.

Selling low is simply not a smart move.  Buying low might not be a good idea, but selling low is a terrible idea.  His value can't get much worse than these last couple games.  Wait for a decent line and try to sell.

Edited by socal.trades714@yahoo.com
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, raaaabz said:

What's up with this team

this guy

Image result for liam neeson gif it's me

• Confused 1

I own him in one league and want to get him in another.

I offered W Matthews + C Osman last week after an initial proposal of just W Matthews

The owner and the others felt it was a low-ball offer (it was his 3rd round pick)

I guess they don't know enough how messy the situation is in WAS

I pulled out the offer and I won't be targeting him "unless anything drastic happens "

• Confused 2

Guys....We played only 4 weeks...

It will be interesting to know which player you received against him with his lack of production?

For me...something will happens to Wash..Coach fired? Wall or Beal Trade?others?

I prefer to keep him instead to sell him for pennies and cry later ..?

• Like 1

Seriously guys...the track record is there. He has finished within the top 50 safely now for 3 years. He’s still getting minutes even with their log jam at the wings. It is only a matter of time before he picks things up again. Someone in my league dropped him Thursday, and I put in a claim on him and won. To those who drafted him, why sell low on a 3-4th round pick now? It makes no sense. He may not be fun to own, but he doesn’t hurt you anywhere either. If you can’t get solid mid round value in return, be patient and let things play out. 

Edited by FrightCoward
  • Like 4

In my case it is not so much against Porter. I want Covington in mypunt fg% team because he is kind of the missing piece with his stocks. 

I gave up Porter and Gallo for Covington and Matthews. 

Don't forget he also miss a game with a toe issue. I watched him play, and noticed that several times, specially after some jumps, he was like hitting his foot on the ground to step back the toe from the end of the shoe. So pretty sure it is still bothering him. 

8 minutes ago, FrightCoward said:

Seriously guys...the track record is there. He has finished within the top 50 safely now for 3 years. He’s still getting minutes even with their log jam at the wings. It is only a matter of time before he picks things up again. Someone in my league dropped him Thursday, and I put in a claim on him and won. To those who drafted him, why sell low on a 3-4th round pick now? It makes no sense. He may not be fun to own, but he doesn’t hurt you anywhere either. If you can’t get solid mid round value in return, be patient and let things play out. 

While I'm of the mind that he will eventually turn things around, I understand if people don't and prefer to sell low because they don't believe he will return to previous form based on what we've seen this year. Honestly even though he's been pretty lackluster, he's still returning 6th round value on the year according to bbm (granted a lot of that is tied up in low TOs). To not sell for the sole reason of drafting him high would be falling into a sunk cost fallacy.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, FrightCoward said:

He may not be fun to own, but he doesn’t hurt you anywhere either. 

It's certainly frustrating but he isn't hurting fantasy teams. Very true statement. He's still an early 6th round value somehow which speaks to how well rounded his fantasy game is.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Benjamin1984 said:

It's certainly frustrating but he isn't hurting fantasy teams. Very true statement. He's still an early 6th round value somehow which speaks to how well rounded his fantasy game is.

He's hurting my fantasy team, I assure you...and when I think about the guys I could have had, say Zach Lavine, Vucevic, Doncic..to name a few, it hurts even worse.  And in my 8 cat weekly he's returning 9th round value, not 6th.  

Im usually very patient, I am sure he will be better than this, but there is definitely cause for concern that he will not deliver on his adp.

58 minutes ago, MysticPeak said:

What are the common offers you get for Otto these days?

8 cat roto with 850 games played cap so almost 11 deep, got offered Bazemore, Tucker, and Gay.  I accepted.  Bazemore alone might be worth Porter in 8 cat and Tucker/Gay is just added value.  

On the flip side, got offered Porter for my Gary Harris in 9 cat roto where I’m punting FT.  Harris no doubt is better than Porter thus far but Porter is a better fit for my team and I think he will get things on track.  Just wish the trade was processed before the last game where Harris tanked my FG.  

Also, for the people who are panicking, I’m currently first in a 16 team league with a team that has Porter on it and am going to win this week at least 6-3 over the 4th place person.  It’s pretty cool to win all three efficiency cats, including TO, despite having played more games than your opponent.  

I know Porter isn’t putting up sexy lines but he’s done some relevant things.  Take last game: got two stocks on only one TO without hurting your percentages.  Not sexy at all but still relevant.  Most people who are complaining either paid way too much for him or didn’t build their team properly.  It wouldn’t make sense to add Porter to Wall, Westbrook, etc and expect him to negate their negative efficiency.  But if you drafted a team focused on efficiency you’re at least semi-ok with him at this point.  Ofc he could be doing better but he by no means is losing your league. Even in 9 cat people don’t typically view TO as a category you can deliberately try to win but why not?  It’s equally weighted as any other category.  Sure you could win TO by not playing anyone but then you’d lose 1-8.   Being able to roster someone who might get 6-7 stocks in a week to only 2-3 TO while being efficient from the field is hugely valuable and Otto has been getting stocks even if his popcorn stats are down. If you’re winning the three efficiency cats and stocks every week then that’s at least 5-4.  If you didn’t draft a team capable of doing that then that is your problem with team construction not Otto’s.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, StifleTower2 said:

I know Porter isn’t putting up sexy lines but he’s done some relevant things.  Take last game: got two stocks on only one TO without hurting your percentages.  Not sexy at all but still relevant.  Most people who are complaining either paid way too much for him or didn’t build their team properly.  It wouldn’t make sense to add Porter to Wall, Westbrook, etc and expect him to negate their negative efficiency.  But if you drafted a team focused on efficiency you’re at least semi-ok with him at this point.  Ofc he could be doing better but he by no means is losing your league. Even in 9 cat people don’t typically view TO as a category you can deliberately try to win but why not?  It’s equally weighted as any other category.  Sure you could win TO by not playing anyone but then you’d lose 1-8.   Being able to roster someone who might get 6-7 stocks in a week to only 2-3 TO while being efficient from the field is hugely valuable and Otto has been getting stocks even if his popcorn stats are down. If you’re winning the three efficiency cats and stocks every week then that’s at least 5-4.  If you didn’t draft a team capable of doing that then that is your problem with team construction not Otto’s.

For one of my teams this year I ended up going against what I normally do and drafted an efficiency team. I had a later first pick and ended up getting Jokic and Kawhi. Otto fell a bit and seemed like a good fit, especially since this league counts 3P% and Otto has typically been really strong there, which brings me to my next point.

My main complaint with him so far is that his 3P% is down .077 from last year (.364 from .441) on the same number of attempts (4). If he can just starting converting on his attempts from 3 then his FG/Pts/3pm all benefit and his value will be much closer to where I drafted him than the #88 he’s currently ranked at. If burying a few more 3’s in a week is all it’s going to take for him to turn around his value then I’m happy to be patient. 

• Like 1