• Announcements

    • Patrick Bateman

      Check out the new Rotoworld Beta Site!   11/14/2018

      Rotoworld has been the industry leader in fantasy news and analysis for years, but it was time for a much-needed facelift!  While our around-the-clock, comprehensive coverage will remain the same, the new Rotoworld design will be sleeker, easier to navigate, more video-friendly and will finally be mobile-optimized.    That’s right, you can finally stop pinching the screens on your phones to read our content!  Right now we’re in the beta phase of our launch, and it’s still a work-in-progress, but we’d love for you to check out our soon-to-be new digs, and let us know what you think: https://beta.rotoworld.com.    And then please use the Contact Us button to give us feedback!  
MrBean

Hassan Whiteside 20178-2019 Season Outlook

Recommended Posts

After playing for only 54 games last season, are we still expecting him to give us a decent stats this year?

 

As per Basketball Reference, he averaged 14.0 pts, 11.4 rebs, 1.0 asts, 1.7 blks (lowest for the past 4 seasons), 70.3 FT%, and 54.0 FG%.

 

Can he still climb up to top 60?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He'll still be a productive per-minute guy like FBF said above. However, he's gonna be on the $hit list this year and I don't see how he even gets close to 30 MPG. Coaching staff likes Bam too, I believe. He will have value on certain teams with certain builds but there could be a lot of disapointed owners out there if they're expecting 30+ minutes.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Far out i feel for this guy. Hassan went from a nobody to the best player on the heat in one season but injuries and a falling out with the coaching staff have hit his career badly recently. He can easily be one of the best defensive centres in the NBA, and the meeting a month or so ago with Pat Riley and Erik Spoelstra have apparently mended their relationship, so hopefully that means more minutes for Hassan.

 

It'll be interesting to see if he can reproduce the 17-14-2.1 stat line in 16-17 this year as he says he is 100% healthy. I wish him all the best this season.

 

Do you guys think Hassan or Cousins will have a better season this year when/if healthy?

Edited by PaddyAustralia

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, PaddyAustralia said:

Far out i feel for this guy. Hassan went from a nobody to the best player on the heat in one season but injuries and a falling out with the coaching staff have hit his career badly recently. He can easily be one of the best defensive centres in the NBA, and the meeting a month or so ago with Pat Riley and Erik Spoelstra have apparently mended their relationship, so hopefully that means more minutes for Hassan.

 

It'll be interesting to see if he can reproduce the 17-14-2.1 stat line in 16-17 this year as he says he is 100% healthy. I wish him all the best this season.

 

Do you guys think Hassan or Cousins will have a better season this year when/if healthy?

MAN he ain't one of the best defensive centres in the NBA. No way ! He just chasing blocks... which actually makes him a bad defensive player.

Edited by Stefan
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Stefan said:

MAN he ain't one of the best defensive centres in the NBA. No way ! He just chasing blocks... which actually makes him a bad defensive player.

Cmon man, in 2016 he finished 3rd in the DPOY race behind kawhi (who won) and draymond green. Yes he does chase blocks but he is a defensive minded centre, and what is the difference between him and gobert? gobert chases blocks and gets elite rebounds, so does Hassan.

 

BTW i didnt say he WAS one of the best rather that he COULD be one of the best. 

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, PaddyAustralia said:

Cmon man, in 2016 he finished 3rd in the DPOY race behind kawhi (who won) and draymond green. Yes he does chase blocks but he is a defensive minded centre, and what is the difference between him and gobert? gobert chases blocks and gets elite rebounds, so does Hassan.

 

BTW i didnt say he WAS one of the best rather that he COULD be one of the best. 

 

IMO there's difference in chasing blocks like Hassan does and blocking shots "naturally" and keeping the ball in the game like Gobert or Capela...

In that season he led the league in blocks w 3.7 per game... ... as far as I'm concerned, that's the main reason (+ high rebounds) he finished 3rd in DPOY voting.

Besides that he might have some kind of attitude or work/life ethic problem...  otherwise he wouldn't have been in Spoelstra's doghouse for like 2/3 of the season.

Capela or Dipo or Day-Day are twice better defensive players that Hassan...

 

Edited by Stefan
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Stefan said:

 

IMO there's difference in chasing blocks like Hassan does and blocking shots "naturally" and keeping the ball in the game like Gobert or Capela...

In that season he led the league in blocks w 3.7 per game... ... as far as I'm concerned, that's the main reason (+ high rebounds) he finished 3rd in DPOY voting.

Besides that he might have some kind of attitude or work/life ethic problem...  otherwise he wouldn't have been in Spoelstra's doghouse for like 2/3 of the season.

Capela or Dipo or Day-Day are twice better defensive players that Hassan...

 

I completely agree with what you are saying bro. Still, i think when it comes to defence id rather have Hassan who is chasing blocks out there rather than someone like KAT who hurts your defence as a big man. All i was saying is that if he pulls his head in and improves he can become a great defensive big man and be up there with the likes of gobert and capela. 

And yeah capela, Dip and Day-Day are definitely better defensive players!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He seems already in mid-season form:P

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

is the 5th round considering reaching for him? I think he's better than Collins and Allen.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Man, it was fun owning him in that breakout season. It was like activating beast mode.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, thrilla1nManila said:

is the 5th round considering reaching for him? I think he's better than Collins and Allen.

Nah not a reach at all. If he is healthy and gets the minutes he will be a 15 and 10 guy easily. He is way better than Collins and Allen. People take hype and hype the hype up. Just cause people think COllins and Allen will have a breakout year doesnt mean they think they will average insane numbers haha.

Deffs take him in the 5th should live up to his ADP.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, PaddyAustralia said:

Nah not a reach at all. If he is healthy and gets the minutes he will be a 15 and 10 guy easily. He is way better than Collins and Allen. People take hype and hype the hype up. Just cause people think COllins and Allen will have a breakout year doesnt mean they think they will average insane numbers haha.

Deffs take him in the 5th should live up to his ADP.

 

TRUE

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Think 5th round sounds like a good place to draft him but can see that inching closer to the 4th if his preseason continues to go really well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very good risk reward guy, and better if he gets traded to a team that wants him.  Spoelstra is still the coach and not sure if he really does want to play him other than for trade value boosting.  I just think it's strange how his analytics just tell him Whiteside is better off not playing for the team vs unproven young bigs.  But yet they gave him the huge contract.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, vnmslsrbms said:

Very good risk reward guy, and better if he gets traded to a team that wants him.  Spoelstra is still the coach and not sure if he really does want to play him other than for trade value boosting.  I just think it's strange how his analytics just tell him Whiteside is better off not playing for the team vs unproven young bigs.  But yet they gave him the huge contract.

 

At his current ADP, the risk isn't too high compared to last season. IF he can stay healthy (big if), he has a pretty decent floor and is definitely worth a look near the middle of the draft, especially with Cs being pretty thin this year.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If healthy he can put up comparable value to Capela, Gobert, and maybe even  close to Drummond at 2-3 rounds discount. Drafts are all about grabbing c value at each pick. It is a high reward gamble, but one I'm keen on. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, t0087669 said:

How is his ft% impact negatively compare to like Robert and capela?

Worse than Gobert and better than Capela.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, StifleTower2 said:

Worse than Gobert and better than Capela.

 

Umm..nah.  Equal to Gobert, if not slightly better.

 

Hassan 70% to Gobert's 68% last year. 

 

Hassan 63% to Gobert's 63% over the career, and he takes less

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2016-2017 (last season they were both healthy) Gobert shot a higher percentage.  Also, there was talk that Gobert would continue to improve his FT% given that he has better form.  That didn’t happen this year and both were plagued by injury.  But you’re correct in stating that Gobert shoots higher volume, so you’re right he’s historically had worse impact.  We both agree that Whiteside has a much better impact than Capela who is the worst of the three.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This has been the best shape he's in at our camp and preseason. 

 

He's been practicing his corner 3's so don't be surprise he takes 2 or maybe 3 attempts per game.

 

I still don't trust his head and he lacks heart. Hopefully he came across divine intervention. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now