dboong

Shai-Gilgeous Alexander 2018-19 season outlook

If your team is strong, and you're confident in making the playoffs, grab Shai.

His development reminds me of Kawhi Leonard where he is a physically gifted player for his position with a really calm and calculated approach to the game.  This means he won't force up shots, or make ill-advised passes. You won't see him lead fast breaks in an out of control manner, either.  Think Mike Conley-light, and in a couple years, a combo of Conley / Levert / Kawhi.  Doc sees this, and is bringing him along slowly but making sure to say great things about him constantly to keep is confidence at the highest level possible.

Bev can be what Marcus Smart is to Boston.  He can play 30-32 mpg and be used to guard the best offensive PG/SG on the opposing team, use 90% of his energy on that half of the game. Bev is NOT a starting PG for a team like the Clippers.  Shai can slowly gain more and more responsibility for a well-balanced, well-coached team in a prime location to attract a big boy Free Agent this offseason.  I love what I'm seeing for the Clippers.  Kawhi is taking note of Shai, and seeing if Gallinari can stay on the court.  Plus Harrell is the perfect small-ball Center for the modern NBA, too.  

Grab Shai, and don't take each game's stat line too serious.  He will be an awesome glue guy in that PG/SG spot with his defense and efficiency that's so valuable from a that position.  Give it a month tops, and he'll have the Starting gig, and 32-34 mpg. He's so under control out there, that Doc can comfortable leave him out there to get used to the NBA tempo and build chemistry with the other starts.   Man, he could get switched to the starting line up next game....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Did anyone watch his game tonight? He seems to be getting good mins. 28 mins tonight but it was blowout 136-108 vs Wizards.

10pts 8reb 7ast 2stl 1trey. 4 of 8 and 1 of 2 at the line with 1 TO. 

Is it garbage time or meaningful minutes? AFAIK, Doc doesn't like to play rookies.

6 minutes ago, andriask said:

Did anyone watch his game tonight? He seems to be getting good mins. 28 mins tonight but it was blowout 136-108 vs Wizards.

Is it garbage time or meaningful minutes? AFAIK, Doc doesn't like to play rookies.

he played 9 min in the first half and closed the game in garbage time. This guy is legit, I think he will get 20+ minutes ROS and it should only be a matter of time till Beverly gets injured again. 

17 minutes ago, andriask said:

Garbage time special tonight but he was already splitting time almost 50/50 with Beverley, and arguably getting the better of it because he was closing competitive games. His defense, length, speed, ability to get to the rime, and maturity (for a rookie) are undeniable. He subbed in for Bradley tonight and played side-by-side-with Bev too, so SG minutes are there. Doc spoke relatively highly of SGA and said he was willing to give minutes if earned - and definitely looks earned.

I still think it'll generally be a gradual process for his fantasy production. I also don't know if he'll start anytime soon, especially if there's good chemistry with the bench. But probably shouldn't matter too much.

This kid is the real deal.

Way ahead of the curve, for his age and having such wingspan only helps him, and makes him playable with either Pat Bev (cool name for a beer), Milos, Lou or Ave.

Yes he is a rookie and there's a logjam at guard position, but the best of them is a combo scorer (Sweet Lou), then you have two combo defensive minded/pests the Bees (Beverly and Bradley), and the only truly point guard who can distribute, Teodosic is more brittle than Mr. Glass.

None of that matter because the kid not only has the physical tools to suceed in the NBA, but he's smart too.

I picked him 10 days ago and since then I've been treating him like undroppable (there's still some good FAs in the waiver) , not because what he might do in 3 or 4 months from now, but because of what he's already doing.

1 minute ago, littlesamtung said:

Probably the best G in this class. Unfortunately, playing in the most terrible logjam situation: Pat, Bradley, Lou, Teodo, SGA.

Yeah, too many G in LAC. And they are winning. 

A lot of his minutes came in garbage time, but man, can this guy play. Stash him. He's going to be really good really soon.

I am very encouraged by his play. He looks very composed out there and doesn't try to force things and do too much (I am starting to wish he would try to get his a little more).

His increased minutes the last few games were both garbage time though so it is likely to go back down. It is at least encouraging that Doc is giving him extra minutes in blowouts which can give his value a small bump.

Edited by Sanchez_

I tried googling his name's origin (Gilgeous) but so far he's the only one coming up. Did his parents just come up with it out of nowhere or what :))

52 minutes ago, ellejamil said:

I tried googling his name's origin (Gilgeous) but so far he's the only one coming up. Did his parents just come up with it out of nowhere or what :))

I hope you aren’t serious?

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Gus Chiggins said:

I hope you aren’t serious?

I...am...

his name is Shai-Gilgeous in Yahoo, so I assumed it's part of his first name...

Oh ok. The hyphen is between Gilgeous and Alexander, signifying he took both of his parents last names. I’m not on yahoo, so maybe they messed it up.

5 hours ago, Sanchez_ said:

I am very encouraged by his play. He looks very composed out there and doesn't try to force things and do too much (I am starting to wish he would try to get his a little more).

His increased minutes the last few games were both garbage time though so it is likely to go back down. It is at least encouraging that Doc is giving him extra minutes in blowouts which can give his value a small bump.

That’s the perfect description for SGA. Composed.

4 hours ago, Gus Chiggins said:

Oh ok. The hyphen is between Gilgeous and Alexander, signifying he took both of his parents last names. I’m not on yahoo, so maybe they messed it up.

No, it’s correct on yahoo.  This guy just doesn’t know what he’s talking about.

44 minutes ago, VaTerp said:

No, it’s correct on yahoo.  This guy just doesn’t know what he’s talking about.

Lol Whoever started this thread was the one that f'ed it up. Not yahoo. But at least in his defense, it was f'ed up in the way he thought somewhere lol

Edited by DavidbivaD
  • Like 1

He looks solid but I wouldnt really read into that last game too much. The wizards were making the clippers look like the prime warriors. I was in disbelief how bad the wizards were. If he puts together some more strong games I think he can be a deep league guy but the clippers have way too many guards currently

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, stay_woke said:

He looks solid but I wouldnt really read into that last game too much. The wizards were making the clippers look like the prime warriors. I was in disbelief how bad the wizards were. If he puts together some more strong games I think he can be a deep league guy but the clippers have way too many guards currently

He's already a deep league guy. He's consistently getting minutes and closing out games. He's not a must roster guy in 12'ers yet but he's really close. If you have a solid team he's a high upside stash. Avery Bradley is trash and Pat Bev is injury prone which means SGA is primed to get more usage as the season goes on. This is one of those players you want to be proactive on and not reactive. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Reeeeaalllyyy thinking about dropping Pau for him. I’ve been checking this thread pretty frequently lately, you guys have put me on to him. So much upside and he’s got great length. Might be joining y’all 

Edited by JooCraig

1 hour ago, Lob City99 said:

Thoughts on last nights game?

I mentioned on the last page to not read into each games stats.  You can if you choose, but Doc is a good coach, and he knows winning basketball.  Talent will win out, and Gilgeous minutes will slowly increase until he's the starter. It's dead obvious he is already a more complete PG, with better efficiency in shot selection, and turnovers that anyone else on the Clippers.   

Could be a week, could be a month, but I would recommend adding him to your team, and leaving him on your bench until he gets 28mpg.  He should have hover around 100-120 overall, and then once he's a starter I'll predict 60-80.  Take a look at him play defense, with his length on other guards.  Also, watch him when he is asked to run the offense a few times per game, and you'll see a kid more composed than half the PG's in the league.  Nothing fancy, just good basketball, with the physical gifts to make things happen.

Key is, your team must be in a position to win as-is.  The season is still so young that there will be 2 or more players that earn a starting spot, and run with it having huge minutes ASAP.  Could be Frank Ntikilna, Josh Okogie, or even Rodney Hood.  Osman, and Harrell, and others, too.  I'd pick SGA over all of those players listed.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I haven’t watched any Clippers games on a League Pass yet but he doesn’t seem to be a scorer. More facilitator? PPG ROS...10-12pts?