Sign in to follow this  
TribeFoo

Franchise Player: Altuve or Judge?

I play in a contract years league and both Altuve and Judge are rolling off this year. We are allowed one franchise player, who we can keep indefinitely but must declare a change by the end of the season. Strasburg is my current franchise, but it seems like keeping one of Altuve or Judge would be the more prudent move. Who do you guys prefer heading in to next season. Here's a general look at how my team looks heading into next year with players I'll still have under contract:

C - Sanchez

1B - Bellinger

2B - Altuve (?) / Villar

SS - Rosario / Villar (if he gets enough appearances for ESPN)

3B - Franco / Camargo (will have to address this in the draft)

LF - Soto

CF - Benintendi / Bellinger

RF - Judge (?) / Soto

BN - Kyle Tucker...no clue what to expect out of him

Thanks for any help!

Altuve

Short term Altuve is more valuable due to his position and your strength in the outfield. I think he will decline faster than Judge and would take Judge if you are thinking more long term. To me as long as he is healthy he is a 30-40 homerun lock in the middle of the Yankee lineup and he hasn''t even his his prime years yet.If you think you can get a competitive replacement at 2nd i would take Judge for the long them investment but if not you almost have to take Altuve.

Judge.  MI's are notoriously inconsistent and subject to a fade more so than CIs or OFs imo and while Altuve is elite, he is already disappointing with his power numbers this year and his OPS is down 100+ points.  Off year or beginning of a trend backwards???  Who knows?  Judge is younger, surrounded by players who can protect him in the lineup and hitting in a park ideal for him.

Because you have Villar, I'd keep Judge.  He's a top flight OFer and a consistent source of HR, RBI.  And he's younger.  Villar currently offers a similar skill set to Altuve, although not nearly at the same level, and at the same position.  You don't have a similar replacement for Judge, with putting Soto in LF.

Thanks for the input, guys. I'm similarly torn. I wish both had been fully healthy all season so I could make a better decision. Is Altuve fully healthy? Are his best seasons behind him? Just not sure. I may need Judge's homers more at this point since I also have Cruz rolling off.

I should also add that whoever is chosen will likely be only for next year. I'll have Soto rolling off after next year and, barring a face plant, I can't imagine he won't be my franchise after next season.

I would go Altuve.  You already have 2 solid OF, and 2B can be really hard to fill at the top end.  Dont forget, Altuve was a top 5 pick this year, and while Judge is really good, I just dont see him ever being in the top 5 overall.  Especially if you plan on only keeping next year, Altuve is your guy.  

Judge, but Altuve not a wrong pick

Altuve gives you more overall stats.

i don't get all wrapped up in the position thing . The best player is what I want . 

judge

but if youre keeping 1 i might go Soto

Judge. Sbs fade so fast 40 turns to 30 turns to 15.  Seemingly happens overnight and never seems to swing back up.  This is true for pretty much everyone.  Not to say altuve isn’t an absolute stud,just that His shelf life as a fantasy monster is shorter than judges.

Edited by Cesare13
  • Like 1

This is a tough one after especially after a low year for Altuve. Judge has continued to develop and Will continue to get better and produce big HR/RBI numbers with a decent avg and BB/OBP/OPS.

Having said that, I would go altuve. Big power/speed combination and at a more shallow position.

help with mine.

http://forums.rotoworld.com/topic/728479-need-help-with-keepers-whir/

Been thinking about this for a bit now. I think right now Altuve is the better of the 2 players. However, giving a player the franchise tag means you are looking at him beyond 2019 and 2020.  At that point I think Judge is the better player. And he's no slouch in 2019/20 either. Its not like you are saying, "altuve or some slouch who may be great in 2020 and beyond.    These are 2 fairly close players in value with Altuve getting the nod now, but Judge having the nod long term.  So I'd go with Judge for the franchise tag.