Gorgeous George

Nerlens Noel 2018-19 Season Outlook

He landed in OKC and looks to be backing up Adams.  What kinda expectations do you guys have for him?  He could be a sneaky roto player grabbing decent percentages, some stocks.  Not sure how many minutes he gets or if he's relegated to eating hotdogs 5 games in to the season.  Thoughts?

45 minutes ago, Gorgeous George said:

He landed in OKC and looks to be backing up Adams.  What kinda expectations do you guys have for him?  He could be a sneaky roto player grabbing decent percentages, some stocks.  Not sure how many minutes he gets or if he's relegated to eating hotdogs 5 games in to the season.  Thoughts?

He might be a better value pick than Isaac is you’re looking for stocks as he is ranked 88. 

With that that being said, I think it really depends on your needs. If you can wait a little longer Noel is a fine last round addition. I’ll be happy if he provides 7 rebounds and at 1 steal/block a game and we all know he only needs 20 mpg to produce. 

• Like 1

So far he has been getting 20mins in the preseason games, I'm probably gonna get him in my draft with one of my late picks (150s).

Can't wait for the weeks he goes 2stl+2blks per game or saves me from losing block cat lol

This guy might actually be fantasy relevant with these preseason minutes and less competition behind Adams. Then again the keyword here is preseason. Anyone taking a chance on Noel this season in 12 teamers? We all know he only needs 20 mins to produce. 

11 minutes ago, XOrad10 said:

This guy might actually be fantasy relevant with these preseason minutes and less competition behind Adams. Then again the keyword here is preseason. Anyone taking a chance on Noel this season in 12 teamers? We all know he only needs 20 mins to produce. 

Sadly I don't even see a path to 20 minutes because he is a direct backup to Adams and they will never play at the same time.  20 minutes for Noel would mean Adams' PT would be reduced to 28 minutes and that ain't happening.  

• Like 3

Does Adams still foul a lot? He’s pretty physical, which could also lead to injury. Noel isn’t the worst stash. In h2h , the weeks where he gets playing time, he can be a difference maker in stocks. 

2 hours ago, aMediumPace said:

Does Adams still foul a lot? He’s pretty physical, which could also lead to injury. Noel isn’t the worst stash. In h2h , the weeks where he gets playing time, he can be a difference maker in stocks. 

Adams is built like a brick sh*thouse and I think he comes from a rugby background. He is tough as nails. I think his only injury history is sprained ankles, but I could be mistaken. Nerlens should not be counted on unless there is an injury to Adams. Anyone can get injured and Nerlens fantasy upside as a starter is really appealing. Adams injury potential isn't the highest, but if it happens Nerlens will pay off. 

Have not followed his career, but has he ever played PF in pros?  Cause with a stat line like tonight, if he can just get 20-24 minutes = worthy to roster 12 team league IMHO.  Anyway, I'm taking a flyer and see how the situation ends up.  Hope tonight will make it difficult to sleep for BD!

8 minutes ago, nbachump said:

Have not followed his career, but has he ever played PF in pros?  Cause with a stat line like tonight, if he can just get 20-24 minutes = worthy to roster 12 team league IMHO.  Anyway, I'm taking a flyer and see how the situation ends up.  Hope tonight will make it difficult to sleep for BD!

Philly tried to play him at PF next to Jahlil Okafor. It did not go well.

5 hours ago, nbachump said:

BD will have no trouble sleeping lol.  Nerlens remains a terrible offensive player and could never play with Adams because neither can shoot outside of 6 feet.  If you watched the game tonight he played the entire 2nd half against Milwaukee 2nd and 3rd string scrubs.  He won't play this much barring an Adams injury.  I could see rostering him only if you are in a deep league and are hoping to see Adams get injured.  In which case bad karma on you :lol:

2 hours ago, El_Chingon said:

BD will have no trouble sleeping lol.  Nerlens remains a terrible offensive player and could never play with Adams because neither can shoot outside of 6 feet.  If you watched the game tonight he played the entire 2nd half against Milwaukee 2nd and 3rd string scrubs.  He won't play this much barring an Adams injury.  I could see rostering him only if you are in a deep league and are hoping to see Adams get injured.  In which case bad karma on you :lol:

I hear ya...but he gets so many STOCKS when given PT.  Anyway, I will still hold for a couple weeks and hope he can get on the floor somehow.

Keeping an eye on him but don't expect much...stocks are great but they'll need someone to spread the floor beside Adams (likely Patterson). I expect him to play ~15 mins a game backing up Adams.

His per 36 is somewhere in the ballpark of 13/13/2/2 so that would seem to indicate he can be around 7/7/1/1 given 18 mpg which seems likely.  7/7 is ww material but getting a full steal and a full block per game makes him standard league relevant.  I wouldn't mind someone taking him with their 12/13 pick in a 12 team league but I also wouldn't blame you for taking someone with more upside.  However, he shouldn't be on the ww in 16 team leagues imo.

Edited by StifleTower2
typo

5 minutes ago, Ricky91 said:

Keeping an eye on him but don't expect much...stocks are great but they'll need someone to spread the floor beside Adams (likely Patterson). I expect him to play ~15 mins a game backing up Adams.

15 mins/night is not enough to roster imo.  and im speaking for 12 teamers and up.  Someone will pluck him off the wire probably anyway though.

Westbrook, Roberson are out for a while.  Carmello is gone.  Starting five on  opening night  very likely might be: Schroeder,  Diallo, George, Grant, Adams.   That leaves bench with Patterson and Noel as only bigs.  OKC can go small for stretches but you still need someone to guard opposing bigs. 

I can see Noel easily getting 17 to 20 min a game until Roberson is  back.    

There is gaping hole at SG position (Ferguson/Abrines/Diallo  need to step up big time), Schroeder is big question mark at SG.  OKC might slide George to SG and play Grant/Patterson as SF/PF combo.

That would open even more minutes for Noel.

I got him in 16 team H2H (12 on roster) in round 9 (142 pick) and I feel really good about it.    Getting 7/7/1/1 with solid %s  is a steal imo

11 minutes ago, Gile Pile said:

Westbrook, Roberson are out for a while.  Carmello is gone.  Starting five on  opening night  very likely might be: Schroeder,  Diallo, George, Grant, Adams.   That leaves bench with Patterson and Noel as only bigs.  OKC can go small for stretches but you still need someone to guard opposing bigs. 

I can see Noel easily getting 17 to 20 min a game until Roberson is  back.    

There is gaping hole at SG position (Ferguson/Abrines/Diallo  need to step up big time), Schroeder is big question mark at SG.  OKC might slide George to SG and play Grant/Patterson as SF/PF combo.

That would open even more minutes for Noel.

I got him in 16 team H2H (12 on roster) in round 9 (142 pick) and I feel really good about it.    Getting 7/7/1/1 with solid %s  is a steal imo

If Noel is the pure backup for Adams only an injury to Adams will open more minutes for Noel...

• Like 1

It is just a shame he is in this role having to back up a warrior like Adams, ensuring that he won’t really be fantasy relevant for yet another year.

I will always remember having him his rookie year, my brothers laughing at me when I drafted him because I was so high on him and they didn’t know. And then him helping me to the championship with his stocks!

Now I don’t think he will ever reach what his peak should have been.

14 minutes ago, Tekno Team 2000 said:

It is just a shame he is in this role having to back up a warrior like Adams, ensuring that he won’t really be fantasy relevant for yet another year.

I will always remember having him his rookie year, my brothers laughing at me when I drafted him because I was so high on him and they didn’t know. And then him helping me to the championship with his stocks!

Now I don’t think he will ever reach what his peak should have been.

He has no one to blame but himself, he should be in the 2nd year of a $70 million deal, instead he made about 4.2 last year and will make about 1.8 this year. Pretty sure Dallas would have used him and built around him and he would have been a double double machine with great stocks.

7 minutes ago, turner46 said:

He has no one to blame but himself, he should be in the 2nd year of a $70 million deal, instead he made about 4.2 last year and will make about 1.8 this year. Pretty sure Dallas would have used him and built around him and he would have been a double double machine with great stocks.

If he is talented enough that a franchise would use and build around him what has changed?

Are we saying that Dallas dodged a bullet or that OKC is sitting on a diamond?

12 minutes ago, jsquints said:

If he is talented enough that a franchise would use and build around him what has changed?

Are we saying that Dallas dodged a bullet or that OKC is sitting on a diamond?

He's a delusional and Dallas was the perfect fit, Tyson Chandler for years in Dallas them trying for Deandre then now getting him. Outside a certain few teams no one wants what he brings to the table and most of those teams have there guy so if you give me those 2 options I would slightly lean Dallas dodged a bullet. Should Adams get hurt though OKC is sitting on a diamond and can then either flip one of the bigs.

43 minutes ago, turner46 said:

Its his fault that he bet on himself and they buried him and tanked his value because he didn’t sign the contract? When Jimmy Butler bet on himself in Chicago rejecting he initial extension, did they then bury him on the bench like that?

1 minute ago, Tekno Team 2000 said:

Its his fault that he bet on himself and they buried him and tanked his value because he didn’t sign the contract? When Jimmy Butler bet on himself in Chicago rejecting he initial extension, did they then bury him on the bench like that?

Yes and his agent also.

10 minutes ago, turner46 said:

Yes and his agent also.

An organization completely buried a player for spite. That sounds like they were really committed to him and they are not to blame for tanking his value. He and his agent are to blame when a guy like Jimmy did the same and the Bulls don’t bury him. Jimmy gets to prove his worth, plays well, and they pay him.

Ok cool. Sure.....