Sign in to follow this  
stinkroach

De’Anthony Melton 2018-2019 Season outlook

2 hours ago, Kaboom said:

"Run don't walk" RW blurb incoming . . . 

It’s probably too late now....lol

I took the 🚂 last weekend and I am so happy..Nice add for Booker owner like me and we will see what happens when Booker will be back but ENJOY the ride!

Great run a lot of guys who are unknown aren’t in the scouting report. Same with trier and other rookies, they have few good games and defenses start seeing your tendencies on film. Will be interesting to see how he holds up 

• Like 2

I don't see it. It is like with Tyler Ulis. He lit it up only to wiffle away. And he had some special skills like running pick and rolla and penetrating the defense. I'm not seeing it for Melton as a long term investment. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JormaJormala said:

I don't see it. It is like with Tyler Ulis. He lit it up only to wiffle away. And he had some special skills like running pick and rolla and penetrating the defense. I'm not seeing it for Melton as a long term investment. 

Ulis was a spark plug offensively in the IT mold but was too small to adequately defend any opposing point guards. Melton is known as a pretty good defender and looks to have a growing sense of the PG position and has looked more comfortable each game out.

I don’t see the similarities in these two at all.

• Like 3

Dunno if this was already posted here, but a redditor on /r/fantasybball ran the stats before the season started, predicting who would be the best rookie defenders. Numbers show Melton is the best defensive guard in the 2018 draft class. If PHX doesn't bring in a PG (most likely they will), Melton should be given a chance to see how he fits alongside Booker.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/8srm8w/oc_using_machine_learning_to_predict_the_best/?utm_source=reddit&utm_medium=usertext&utm_name=fantasybball&utm_content=t1_ebm3n0k

Edited by monkeysennin

Is he an add in ALL leagues or just deep? I'm in a 12 teamer so it's comparable to me dropping someone like Fournier. 

It's really hard for me to trust PHX's rotations and unlimited lineup changes.

Edited by reverb

24 minutes ago, monkeysennin said:

Dunno if this was already posted here, but a redditor on /r/fantasybball ran the stats before the season started, predicting who would be the best rookie defenders. Numbers show Melton is the best defensive guard in the 2018 draft class. If PHX doesn't bring in a PG (most likely they will), Melton should be given a chance to see how he fits alongside Booker.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/8srm8w/oc_using_machine_learning_to_predict_the_best/?utm_source=reddit&utm_medium=usertext&utm_name=fantasybball&utm_content=t1_ebm3n0k

And that's why I'm hesitant to pick him up. He can play, but it's a facade until we see what he really looks like along side Booker. Think they already have a PG, looks better than any they've had thus far. Suns are a mess, Josh Jackson eluded to it. No development whatsoever.

41 minutes ago, reverb said:

Is he an add in ALL leagues or just deep? I'm in a 12 teamer so it's comparable to me dropping someone like Fournier. 

It's really hard for me to trust PHX's rotations and unlimited lineup changes.

Def don’t drop Fournier , Melton is a fill in. 

Drop Lou for Melton? If he clicks, he might have better fantasy asset than Lou. Lou of this year is not the same as last unfortunately. 

11 minutes ago, Russianog said:

Drop Lou for Melton? If he clicks, he might have better fantasy asset than Lou. Lou of this year is not the same as last unfortunately. 

Way too early, the rookies need to know how to play before booker comes back. Lou is playoff bound possibly and will be gunning on most nights. Melton will have defenses pick up on him now that he’s strung a few good games

• Like 3

Dilemma with Melton is the uncertainty but if he has the starting gig locked he’s a must own. If you don’t make the move now for him you’ll prolly miss the boat. I personally made my move Sunday too to their excellent schedule this week and I’m holding till he’s relegated to a back up.

If it was for an expendable player, I would say go for it.  But no one should not drop anyone useful for him just yet.

This has all the makings of the classic overreaction giddiness for the next sleeper because he had a few decent games, but will be back to irrelevancy once said team is healthy (Booker in this case) written all over it. 

I personally don't have anyone expendable to drop atm, so no, I did not "miss out on him."

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, JP_Grizzly said:

Dilemma with Melton is the uncertainty but if he has the starting gig locked he’s a must own. If you don’t make the move now for him you’ll prolly miss the boat. I personally made my move Sunday too to their excellent schedule this week and I’m holding till he’s relegated to a back up.

I'm looking at your team in your signature and I'm wondering why you need to even pick Melton up. You somehow have AD, Giannis, Towns, George, Lillard, McCollum, Capela and Oladipo in a 12 team league. 

I really don’t understand the Suns strategy!!

They foung a PG for free and they want to sell Ariza for an other PG, I don’t think they will have an elite PG in return..no?..just a prospect..imo

For me, they need to tank this year and hope a Top2-3 pick for the next draft!!..And sell Ariza for only draft pick..

They need to try the combo Melton/Booker some games and take their decision after..But I think they already target their PG against Ariza...So sad!!..lol

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AndreSplash said:

I'm looking at your team in your signature and I'm wondering why you need to even pick Melton up. You somehow have AD, Giannis, Towns, George, Lillard, McCollum, Capela and Oladipo in a 12 team league. 

Lol

how can you have all this players in 12 teams league??!!??Amazing!!

7 minutes ago, AndreSplash said:

That was my team last year I haven’t updated that signature yet LOL

He certainly looks confident in those highlights... (could become a chucker though if he gets the green light). One thing I noticed was that a lot of his assists were guys just hitting shots (he wasn't putting them in better than average spots or showing above average court vision).

I'm not sure what to think of him, but willing to see things out past the trade of Ariza and the return of Booker to see how the fit coalesces

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, RCRanger03 said:

He certainly looks confident in those highlights... (could become a chucker though if he gets the green light). One thing I noticed was that a lot of his assists were guys just hitting shots (he wasn't putting them in better than average spots or showing above average court vision).

I'm not sure what to think of him, but willing to see things out past the trade of Ariza and the return of Booker to see how the fit coalesces

He had about 0 impressive assists last night. In his big game a week ago he had some nice assists though. Still, he's a shooting guard. He's honestly no better of a passer than Booker. It's very obvious why Phoenix is interested in a point guard. Playing Melton there would just limit his time off-ball, which is where he needs to develop, because he'll realistically never be anything more than a secondary ballhandler. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, miasma16 said:

He had about 0 impressive assists last night. In his big game a week ago he had some nice assists though. Still, he's a shooting guard. He's honestly no better of a passer than Booker. It's very obvious why Phoenix is interested in a point guard. Playing Melton there would just limit his time off-ball, which is where he needs to develop, because he'll realistically never be anything more than a secondary ballhandler. 

The reason why Suns wanted him is precisely that - they just wanted somebody who can defend the PG position but doesn't necessarily need the ball. They want Booker to have the ball anyways, so they didn't really care for a pure, playmaking PG. 

Melton can play but he doesn't really impress me. The most I can say about him is that he's.... solid? Not great but not bad either. Always in the right spot to make the right play, but doesn't always have the ability to finish the play? Definitely looks like one of those heady players who will survive in the league 10 years though - kinda like Garrett Temple and E'Twaun Moore. 

He should put up serviceable stats until Booker comes back and/or Suns acquires a point guard. Defense will figure him out though just like CityBaller8 mentioned

6 hours ago, CityBaller8 said:

Great run a lot of guys who are unknown aren’t in the scouting report. Same with trier and other rookies, they have few good games and defenses start seeing your tendencies on film. Will be interesting to see how he holds up 

He's not athletic or deadly enough as a shooter to overcome a defense that's prepared to neutralize him, and the Suns are definitely not going to run plays just to get him going. He should be good for another 2-3 games but by then the scouting report will catch up, Booker might return, or Suns make a trade.

I say you add him if you have a dead spot, just don't expect too much 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 23_gaby_23 said:

I really don’t understand the Suns strategy!!

They foung a PG for free and they want to sell Ariza for an other PG, I don’t think they will have an elite PG in return..no?..just a prospect..imo

For me, they need to tank this year and hope a Top2-3 pick for the next draft!!..And sell Ariza for only draft pick..

They need to try the combo Melton/Booker some games and take their decision after..But I think they already target their PG against Ariza...So sad!!..lol

Suns, the Bulls, used to be Orlando, will be playing for ping-pong balls forever. Can't say NY just yet, think they onto something. Not a GM by any stretch but even Kevin Mchale said it best AND he was talking specifically bout' the Suns. The culture and development is non-existent. Check out what Josh Jackson said yesterday. At some point when you draft all that early round talent year after year, you would think there be some progress and the team competing. I like the Bulls roster, think it's more so the FO, same with the Suns, the FO is clueless.

Edited by Forever Smooth
correction

18 minutes ago, Forever Smooth said:

Suns, the Bulls, used to be Orlando, will be playing for ping-pong balls forever. Can't say NY just yet, think they onto something. Not a GM by any stretch but even Kevin Mchale said it best AND he was talking specifically bout' the Suns. The culture and development is non-existent. Check out what Josh Jackson said yesterday. At some point when you draft all that early round talent year after year, you would think there be some progress and the team competing. I like the Bulls roster, think it's more so the FO, same with the Suns, the FO is clueless.

What early round talents have the Suns had?

2013 - 5 - Len, who I thought was a terrible pick. He was.

2016 - 4 - Bender, who I thought would be great and has been a massive bust

2017 - 4 - Jackson, who had concerns but has been much worse than most expected

That's it until Ayton this year. It's not like they're getting Cleveland-tier picks, and that's just the luck of the draw for the most part. They drafted Kendall Marshall 13th, which is one of the worst lottery selections I can remember. They also drafted Booker 13th. Not everyone gets to be Sam Presti or that kid from the Cavs.

As for the Bulls, they just came off a run of 9 consecutive seasons at or above .500, up until winning 27 last year, so that's not even close to comparable. Clearly they had about 0 chance to draft players they could build around and managed to get Butler, so nobody in their right mind would call their general management clueless. They're in the midst of a rebuild where they have already acquired 3 players that look like they could be valuable pieces of the franchise for several years. Pretty bad examples. And if you think that "early round talent" is relevant, it isn't. There are a bunch of articles and statistical analyses that would be helpful reads to you.

Edited by miasma16
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, miasma16 said:

What early round talents have the Suns had?

2013 - 5 - Len, who I thought was a terrible pick. He was.

2016 - 4 - Bender, who I thought would be great and has been a massive bust

2017 - 4 - Jackson, who had concerns but has been much worse than most expected

That's it until Ayton this year. It's not like they're getting Cleveland-tier picks, and that's just the luck of the draw for the most part. They drafted Kendall Marshall 13th, which is one of the worst lottery selections I can remember. They also drafted Booker 13th. Not everyone gets to be Sam Presti or that kid from the Cavs.

As for the Bulls, they just came off a run of 9 consecutive seasons at or above .500, up until winning 27 last year, so that's not even close to comparable. Clearly they had about 0 chance to draft players they could build around and managed to get Butler, so nobody in their right mind would call their general management clueless. They're in the midst of a rebuild where they have already acquired 3 players that look like they could be valuable pieces of the franchise for several years. Pretty bad examples. And if you think that "early round talent" is relevant, it isn't. There are a bunch of articles and statistical analyses that would be helpful reads to you.

T.J. Warren no.14th pick can hoop, Josh Jackson (eh) no.4 pick raw and athletic, needs some polishing but the upside is there. Could possibly be a all-around player one day. Devin Booker, 13th pick and the no. 1 pick 7'1 Deandre Ayton who is gonna be a star one day along side Booker. This you would think would be the year when you start seeing the ping pong balls pay off. Losing games yes, but are they in games at the end? Are they sitting down on defense as a old school coach would say? Was high on Chriss, but he's not all that good. Athletic, yes, lacks talent though. Had his opportunity. Ayton came in and in less than 1/2 season has shown more than Len and Chriss. At what point do you say enough of the losing? They keep this up, the gonna end losing Booker. Forgot SAC, they gave up Cousins for Hield, but look at SAC now, they doing it the right way, player development and stability. IJS..

My only drops would be Collison, Barton, GHarris, Juancho...... not sure if Melton is worth the risk TBH