fabrar

Jeff Teague 2018-2019 Season Outlook

Any thoughts on how teague will do this year? He was solid last year and I just drafted him with my 7th round pick. Jimmy is out the door and tyus may be going to Phoenix so there should be some more shots for teague to get his stats up. 15/7/3 with 1.5 triples, 1 stl and mid-40s fg perhaps? 

He's been consistently solid for several years, and doesn't miss much time either. I don't see him failing to produce those numbers, but I think there's limited upside in this stage of his career.

Would love to see a steady increase in steals and FG, I think maybe those categories are likely the ones that can boost his value.

His FT rate in Indiana compared to Minnesota is also a huge difference. He went from almost an anchor to a bolster.. Still solid though

7 hours ago, Tyboogie said:

Him and Goran are the few elite Pgs left around 5-7 round, if he falls to round 6-7, then I would consider.

Goran is straight trash these days. His Fg% isn't good anymore, AST:TO is poor, Dimes trending down, no steals. I'm not touching Dragic this year he'll be WAY over-drafted like he was last year.

Teague on a team without Butler the other hand...that I am super interested in. Should be good value in the drafts in the middle rounds

Edited by Jake the snake
  • Like 3

I snagged him at 55 in our draft. Looking forward to a good year with or without Butler.

I targeted assist heavy players too and  I managed to snag Teague pretty late. Pretty excited 

Edited by Portis4Potus

42 minutes ago, richg24 said:

Where do you rank Teague between: bledsoe, dangelo, fultz?

Bledsoe > Teague > D'Angelo > Fultz

Bledsoe and Teague aren't too far apart. Teague gives you more dimes and Bledsoe more defensive stats so choose accordingly. D'Angelo is really kind of an inefficient scorer at this point but maybe he'll improve. Fultz is a complete mystery, I can't really comment on him too much.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, richg24 said:

Where do you rank Teague between: bledsoe, dangelo, fultz?

That’s an odd question imo because none of those players are in the same league. Bledsoe is the stone cold nuts and is one of few players who can realistically exceed the median in every counting stat.  Danglo is a low efficiency high volume scorer who hits some threes, gets steals, and some assists but doesn’t get the rebounds/blocks out of position that Bledsoe gets.  I’d only consider him if I was punting FG/To and imo he is so far behind Bledsoe that they’re not even in the same class.  Fultz is straight trash for fantasy and I don’t buy that he has improved his shot. That’s just typical offseason talk that you take with a grain of salt.  I’d take a flyer on him in an auction for a few dollars just to see what happens.  

Meanwhile Teague will be his typical reliable self.  After the elites are gone he’s one of a few players capable of getting 7 apg/1.7 spg.  He winds up on so many of my teams because of that.  His value in the player rater is artificially deflated because he gets very little reb/block even for a guard.  But he’s elite in the money stats for a point guard (assists/steals/ a/To).  He’s worse than Bledsoe in almost every counting stat so I would put him behind Bledsoe but ahead of the others.  

Anybody see the new RW blurb? Phoenix is looking to get either Teague or Tyus in a potential 3-way Butler deal. How does Teague do in Phoenix? His stats should go up a bit since they play at a faster place, right?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, fabrar said:

Anybody see the new RW blurb? Phoenix is looking to get either Teague or Tyus in a potential 3-way Butler deal. How does Teague do in Phoenix? His stats should go up a bit since they play at a faster place, right?

They could go up but frankly Teague does what he does.  I remember 3-4 years ago there was talk of him going to the “next level” and he never did.  17/7 with 1.7 3pg/1.7 spg is basically his ceiling and he’s a poor rebounding guard.  But his floor is also safe.  He will probably tease top 50 but I wouldn’t read too much into this one. 

• Like 1

I prefer him on the Wolves as they're pretty thin on PG. Phoenix has 2 rookies and a sophomore on their PG depth chart and I feel like they're going for a full youth movement. Maybe they'll take Tyus..

Teague and Towns were one of the best pick and roll duo's also so more usage for Teague, I've seen Towns' numbers were when Butler missed I wonder what Teague`s were like.

Phoenix for the start of the season as they have a faster pace but the Wolves for the rest as they’re likely to be contending for a playoff spot.  I honestly don’t think going to Phoenix would help much overall.

Yeah Teague to Suns makes no sense. They're rebuilding and pushing for a full youth movement and have a bunch of rookies/sophomores on the PG depth chart. Why would they get a guy in his late 20s on a $19M contract? Doesn't fit their plans at all. 

Just now, gladiator888 said:

Teague number will spike if Butler out the door, but it looks like won't happen. What is your prediction for him this season? 

Teague's floor is very close to his ceiling, so I think his numbers will be very consistent with last year's if Butler stays. Slight increase if Butler does end up getting traded.

30 minutes ago, gladiator888 said:

Teague number will spike if Butler out the door, but it looks like won't happen. What is your prediction for him this season? 

It could still happen, just not prior to the season opener.  With Butler you can essentially expect his output to remain the same as last year, maybe with slight improvements since it will be his second year with the same squad and coach.  With Butler gone for that stretch at the end of the season, he went 17.4pts/6.9 assists as opposed to his season averages of 14.2/7.  That's with two games where he only played around 20 minutes due to blowouts.  I think it's feasible that his scoring goes up at a minimum, and if they actually replace Butler with someone who can shoot 3s, I wouldn't be surprised for his assists to increase somewhere in the range of 1.  I doubt you'll see much differences though.  Considering his age, he's not going to suddenly be an all-star caliber PG, and he's never averaged more than 7.8 assists on the season.    

Reading this thread... I realized how much I've overlooked Teague over the years. He's never really put up dominant fantasy stats (guys like Kyle Lowry), but dude is consistent. Has played 70+ games almost every year.

Man... Teague and Darren Collison are two PGs I've taken for granted over the years. If you're curious, see the screenshot for how I've ranked Teague's seasons since 2010. Check out how last season was his WORST season since 2010 and he still ranked 55 in my rankings.

Excellent value pick. And like someone mentioned, if Jimmy Buckets gets traded...

Screen Shot 2018-10-14 at 11.16.34 PM.png

• Like 2

Sounds like Butler is going to play in the opening game. 

Laaaaaaame

butlers not going to forfeit his money.. if anything the trade potential is just icing for teague owners

Edited by MarcoPol0

Made it a point to draft Teague this year. There is risk of him getting traded given his contract status, but you'd think wherever he'd go he'd still start and his usage shouldn't change. He already played on a team with Butler, Wiggins, and Towns last year. Not many point guard needy teams have a trio with more usage than those three. 

Now let's stay everything stays status quo. Butler plays his butt off. As a result, he's missed 15+ games in four out of the last five seasons. Can't bank on injuries, but I feel pretty safe saying Butler stands a better chance than most of missing double digit games. If Teague is healthy for those games, we're looking at some big nights as witnessed by the 2nd half last year.

Even if Butler does stay healthy, Teague still will put up nice numbers. He's a high-ft% guy on pretty solid ft volume, and he should be somewhere in the 7 assist, 1.4-1.5 steal range. He isn't a big points or 3's guy, but he does chip in a bit there. Depending on what happens with trades/Butler, he offers the potential to be a 15+ ppg guy at some point.

I find him to be a great value outside of the top 50. Once you get to that range, a lot of the pg's start to have a lot of question marks, whether it be lower assist upside of % issues. Teague is fairly safe to me, and there's the upside to be a top 40 player if everything breaks his way. 

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Red Sox Nation said:

Made it a point to draft Teague this year. There is risk of him getting traded given his contract status, but you'd think wherever he'd go he'd still start and his usage shouldn't change. He already played on a team with Butler, Wiggins, and Towns last year. Not many point guard needy teams have a trio with more usage than those three. 

Now let's stay everything stays status quo. Butler plays his butt off. As a result, he's missed 15+ games in four out of the last five seasons. Can't bank on injuries, but I feel pretty safe saying Butler stands a better chance than most of missing double digit games. If Teague is healthy for those games, we're looking at some big nights as witnessed by the 2nd half last year.

Even if Butler does stay healthy, Teague still will put up nice numbers. He's a high-ft% guy on pretty solid ft volume, and he should be somewhere in the 7 assist, 1.4-1.5 steal range. He isn't a big points or 3's guy, but he does chip in a bit there. Depending on what happens with trades/Butler, he offers the potential to be a 15+ ppg guy at some point.

I find him to be a great value outside of the top 50. Once you get to that range, a lot of the pg's start to have a lot of question marks, whether it be lower assist upside of % issues. Teague is fairly safe to me, and there's the upside to be a top 40 player if everything breaks his way. 

Great analysis. Teague has already shown that he can still put up stats in teams with lots of other options, i.e. in both ATL and Minny. He'll be a solid 5th/6th round pick regardless. If Butler does get traded then his numbers probably go up slightly.