Sign in to follow this  
Judicious

Auction Draft Strategy Thread 2018-2019

5 hours ago, EmbiidGOAT said:

Stars and scrubs, work the waiver wire like a pro is the key to auction. 

Usually what i do and also make some good trades

I enjoy the do not pay for the top 10 guys or the "elite" tier guys

then draft 2 of the guys in the top 10-20 range and fill with 4-5 guys in the top 70, works fairly well for me, just have to build the team correctly with the guys you get

example im keeping klove + d12 (cheap) - (probably employing punt FT% since its h2h categories) and plan to try and get ben simmons and maybe wall to give me a GREAT base in rebs and assists then keep my spending down for solid producers in the stats i specifically am playing for (get steals and blocks at this point) and capitalizing on bad FT% shooters since they have way more value to my team than the rest of the league due to punting that cat anyway

just my 2 cents for someone deciding what strategy to use

Most of your advice is good. Except for the STICK TO YOUR PLAN part. The idea in auction drafts is to have no specific plan going in. A few years ago everyone in my league decided to go with a balanced team before the draft even started. Top 10 players were going for 60-50$ at the start. So I got two top 10 players for 110$ combined in the first few rounds while everyone overpayed for players who are typically taken in the second round. 

• Like 3

Greetings!

I've just had an auction draft yesterday, 14 teams league, 9-cat roto. Ended up with the following team: 

PG: Bledsoe ($27)

G: Teague ($15)

SG: Middleton ($32)

SF: Gary Harris ($22) 

F: Prince ($16)

pf: Tobias Harris ($29)

C: Whiteside ($15)

C: Adams ($10)

UTIL: Ingles ($13)

UTIL: Richardson ($16)

BN: White ($1)

BN: Gibson ($2)
BN: Dinwiddie ($2)

Pretty happy with the team, quite balanced, though I think I might have been more aggresive in trying to get one of TOP15 players. A bit light on C as well, though I hope that Hassan will have a bounce back year. Prior to the draft, I targeted Middleton, Bledsoe, Prince, Richardson, 2* Harris, so got players that I wanted. 

Any thoughts/comments? 

31 minutes ago, TomPe said:

Greetings!

I've just had an auction draft yesterday, 14 teams league, 9-cat roto. Ended up with the following team: 

PG: Bledsoe ($27)

G: Teague ($15)

SG: Middleton ($32)

SF: Gary Harris ($22) 

F: Prince ($16)

pf: Tobias Harris ($29)

C: Whiteside ($15)

C: Adams ($10)

UTIL: Ingles ($13)

UTIL: Richardson ($16)

BN: White ($1)

BN: Gibson ($2)
BN: Dinwiddie ($2)

Pretty happy with the team, quite balanced, though I think I might have been more aggresive in trying to get one of TOP15 players. A bit light on C as well, though I hope that Hassan will have a bounce back year. Prior to the draft, I targeted Middleton, Bledsoe, Prince, Richardson, 2* Harris, so got players that I wanted. 

Any thoughts/comments? 

Your.team.is nice, however very thin at C position ( one injury could throw you really back in REB,BLK and FG% category).

Probably it had would.be a better idea to target Kanter or Nurkic instead od Ingles/Teague/Prince, just to keep you balanced enough.

Rest of the team is really ok.

Yeah, I realize that, Kanter was drafted for some big money ($18 or more), the same with Nurk. I hope I will be able to execute some trade (2 for 1) and get a quality C for Ingles/Prince or will snatch some promising C from the waivers. 

I'm in a 12 team auction league, same owners for several years.  One benefit of that is having a history of what players have gone for in the past.  That gives you a great start as to how you can build your team before the draft even starts.  Plus, you can then see what the past payment has been for certain stats (scorers tend to go a bit high). 

If you're new to an auction league, you just need to find a valuation system that you trust and stick with it.  Biggest thing is don't panic if you don't get your guy because you see that he's going for $5-$7 more than he "should".  Let that owner overpay and move on to the next guy.  Make adjustments.

For me, it's tough to pay for guys with injury histories.  Take Kyrie.  I'm not touching him or his knees this season.  There's a solid chance he misses games and will have rest days come fantasy playoff time due to those knees.  No thanks.  Gotta look for things like that when deciding who to buy.

Fantasy playoff schedule matters.  For instance Golden State has a ton of games at that time, so those players may be worth a bit more.  Whereas the Clippers and Pelicans have the worst schedules.  That's why I'm not going after Anthony Davis.  I know it's sacrilege to say that I don't want him, but for example Lillard plays 3 more games in fantasy playoffs than Davis does and will go for less $.  Both of them are extremely capable of leading your team to the playoffs, but I'd rather have Dame's extra games at the end of the season when the money's on the table.

Also, I think you absolutely can go into an auction with a plan vs just finding players that are bargains.  If you gotta win 5 cats, get players that will give you mad stats in those cats and heck with the rest.  Granted, my league does not have position requirements, so if you want to go with a ton of Gs, you are welcome to.  Two years ago the guy who won went total small ball and punted blocks, rebounds and turnovers.  It's risky, as injuries can hurt you much more than a balanced team, but it certainly can be done.

My .02 on the topic.  Best of luck to the auctioners.  IMO, the most fun way to get a team (plus the smack talking during the draft is always a highlight).

• Like 1

#1 Tip: Spend your money! The worst thing you can do is have auction dollars left over.

The second bad thing you can do is get caught up in an irrational bidding war for a player. There are a few "hot" assets out there. Think AD, Ayton, Doncic, Giannis, guys like that.

Lastly, be wary about when you've spent your budget and only have the budget for $1 picks. (eg, $3 for three spots). If you nominate one of your sleepers someone could very well bid  $2 and steal him.

went stars and scrubs like i usually do..i also believe scouring the wire is the key 12 team espn 9 cat h2h.. realize i overpaid for kawhi but if he's 2016-2017 kawhi  (which i think he will be after shaking off the rust) im obviously fine with it. i missed out on a couple $1 targets i was after like prince, caris lavert but happy with gallo and brooks. espn rankings are so dumb which is great for me getting gary harris for $4. i realize im short on assists buuuut i wasgoing back and forth with someone who had too many pgs (autodrafted 7) in a chatroom and eventually we wound up at my sexton for LONZO. i was shocked. im not a lonzo fan but i'll take that every day and twice on sunday. cant wait for the season to start. 

NO.
PLAYER
BID AMOUNT
Nikola Jokic Den, C
$66
Kawhi Leonard Tor, SF
$60
Mike Conley Mem, PG
$21
Rudy Gobert Utah, C
$23
Nikola Vucevic Orl, C
$9
Gary Harris Den, SG
$4
Dario Saric Phi, PF
$3
Jarrett Allen Bkn, C
$4
Josh Richardson Mia, SF
$6
Collin Sexton Cle, PG
$1
Danilo Gallinari LAC, SF
$1
MarShon Brooks Mem, SG
$1
Jonathan Isaac Orl, PF
$1
Edited by morphiend

4 hours ago, morphiend said:

NO.
PLAYER
BID AMOUNT
Nikola Jokic Den, C
$66
Kawhi Leonard Tor, SF
$60
Mike Conley Mem, PG
$21
Rudy Gobert Utah, C
$23
Nikola Vucevic Orl, C
$9
Gary Harris Den, SG
$4
Dario Saric Phi, PF
$3
Jarrett Allen Bkn, C
$4
Josh Richardson Mia, SF
$6
Collin Sexton Cle, PG
$1
Danilo Gallinari LAC, SF
$1
MarShon Brooks Mem, SG
$1
Jonathan Isaac Orl, PF
$1

Some of these don't make any sense. Gary Harris $4? 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, morphiend said:

went stars and scrubs like i usually do..i also believe scouring the wire is the key 12 team espn 9 cat h2h.. realize i overpaid for kawhi but if he's 2016-2017 kawhi  (which i think he will be after shaking off the rust) im obviously fine with it. i missed out on a couple $1 targets i was after like prince, caris lavert but happy with gallo and brooks. espn rankings are so dumb which is great for me getting gary harris for $4. i realize im short on assists buuuut i wasgoing back and forth with someone who had too many pgs (autodrafted 7) in a chatroom and eventually we wound up at my sexton for LONZO. i was shocked. im not a lonzo fan but i'll take that every day and twice on sunday. cant wait for the season to start. 

NO.
PLAYER
BID AMOUNT
Nikola Jokic Den, C
$66
Kawhi Leonard Tor, SF
$60
Mike Conley Mem, PG
$21
Rudy Gobert Utah, C
$23
Nikola Vucevic Orl, C
$9
Gary Harris Den, SG
$4
Dario Saric Phi, PF
$3
Jarrett Allen Bkn, C
$4
Josh Richardson Mia, SF
$6
Collin Sexton Cle, PG
$1
Danilo Gallinari LAC, SF
$1
MarShon Brooks Mem, SG
$1
Jonathan Isaac Orl, PF
$1

what kind of shiite league is this

Ajax
Budget $200
1. (10) Stephen Curry (GS - PG,SG) $70
2. (32) Chris Paul (Hou - PG) $35
3. (37) Clint Capela (Hou - PF,C) $24
4. (51) Eric Bledsoe (Mil - PG,SG) $21
5. (61) Nikola Vucevic (Orl - PF,C) $15
6. (65) Ricky Rubio (Uta - PG) $11
7. (72) Tim Hardaway Jr. (NY - SG,SF) $3
8. (74) Harrison Barnes (Dal - SF,PF) $6
9. (103) Carmelo Anthony (Hou - SF,PF) $5
10. (109) Bobby Portis (Chi - PF,C) $2
11. (111) Larry Nance Jr. (Cle - PF,C) $2
12. (114) Thaddeus Young (Ind - SF,PF) $3
13. (124) Danilo Gallinari (LAC - SF,PF) $3
Unused $0

Just drafted this in a $100 Yahoo 9 cat H2H league. Some incredible bargains because there were three guys that left money on the auction table at the end. One guy ended with $41 unspent auction dollars. I'm trying to trade Capela for Aldridge or Love and go full punt blocks, though even as is team looks pretty strong.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Ajax said:

Just drafted this in a $100 Yahoo 9 cat H2H league. Some incredible bargains because there were three guys that left money on the auction table at the end. One guy ended with $41 unspent auction dollars. I'm trying to trade Capela for Aldridge or Love and go full punt blocks, though even as is team looks pretty strong.

The absolute worst thing you can do imo.

You're better off spending your entire budget on a few players than (literally) leaving money on the table.

• Like 3

Just now, My Dinner With Andre said:

The absolute worst thing you can do imo.

You're better off spending your entire budget on a few players than (literally) leaving money on the table.

100% agreed!

I just finished my 10 team $200 auction, was 12 teams the last 2 years but 3 dropped out and 1 joined. Pre auction I said Harden and Steph no matter what and fill in the rest, I went up to 85 on Harden then when he was bid up to 86 I bowed out. I then said I will let these guys spend and punt pts, landed Jokic for 51, Draymond for 16 then as I was price enforcing I got stuck with Kemba but I though oh well 3's and FT% that aren't easy to come by in punt pts, then I got Jrue, Mitchell and Middleton and I was off to a new build a FG punt. Here's my roster. Reddick plays Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday and Portis plays Thursday and Saturday they likely won't be on the squad long term.

NO.
Player
BID AMOUNT
Nikola Jokic Den, C
$51
$16
Kemba Walker Cha, PG
$22
Jrue Holiday No, PG
$18
Donovan Mitchell Utah, SG
$21
Khris Middleton Mil, SF
$24
Marc Gasol Mem, C
$18
Al Horford Bos, C
$6
$15
Dennis Schroder OKC, PG
$1
Buddy Hield Sac, SG
$1
Bobby Portis Chi, PF
$1
JJ Redick Phi, SG
$1
Jonathan Isaac Orl, PF
$1

39 minutes ago, turner46 said:

I just finished my 10 team $200 auction, was 12 teams the last 2 years but 3 dropped out and 1 joined. Pre auction I said Harden and Steph no matter what and fill in the rest, I went up to 85 on Harden then when he was bid up to 86 I bowed out. I then said I will let these guys spend and punt pts, landed Jokic for 51, Draymond for 16 then as I was price enforcing I got stuck with Kemba but I though oh well 3's and FT% that aren't easy to come by in punt pts, then I got Jrue, Mitchell and Middleton and I was off to a new build a FG punt. Here's my roster. Reddick plays Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday and Portis plays Thursday and Saturday they likely won't be on the squad long term.

NO.
Player
BID AMOUNT
Nikola Jokic Den, C
$51
$16
Kemba Walker Cha, PG
$22
Jrue Holiday No, PG
$18
Donovan Mitchell Utah, SG
$21
Khris Middleton Mil, SF
$24
Marc Gasol Mem, C
$18
Al Horford Bos, C
$6
$15
Dennis Schroder OKC, PG
$1
Buddy Hield Sac, SG
$1
Bobby Portis Chi, PF
$1
JJ Redick Phi, SG
$1
Jonathan Isaac Orl, PF
$1

What the hell are these prices 

Top 20 Prices from a 20 teams Roto Draft:

Anthony Davis (NO - PF,C) $87
4. Giannis Antetokounmpo (Mil - SF,PF) $86
8. Karl-Anthony Towns (Min - C) $80
1. James Harden (Hou - PG,SG) $79
10. LeBron James (LAL - SF,PF) $77
9. Stephen Curry (GS - PG,SG) $71
15. Kevin Durant (GS - SF,PF) $68
13. Nikola Jokic (Den - PF,C) $68
28. Joel Embiid (Phi - PF,C) $66
16. Damian Lillard (Por - PG) $64
3. Russell Westbrook (OKC - PG) $62
20. Kawhi Leonard (Tor - SG,SF) $61
5. Ben Simmons (Phi - PG) $61
12. Paul George (OKC - SG,SF) $56
22. Kemba Walker (Cha - PG) $52
23. Chris Paul (Hou - PG) $51
19. Victor Oladipo (Ind - PG,SG) $51
11. Donovan Mitchell (Uta - PG,SG) $51
24. Andre Drummond (Det - PF,C) $48
25. Kyrie Irving (Bos - PG,SG) $46

The low prices show well I was on sit out at the first hour LOL.

KD was super cheap if I compare with AD-Freak, in this league they should go 90$+

No money on the line so I just raged a half hour and got this:

1. (23) Chris Paul (Hou - PG) $51
2. (83) Lonzo Ball (LAL - PG) $17
3. (89) Jaren Jackson Jr. (Mem - PF) $15
4. (91) Steven Adams (OKC - C) $20
5. (98) Hassan Whiteside (Mia - C) $17
6. (101) Julius Randle (NO - PF,C) $18
7. (106) Brandon Ingram (LAL - SG,SF) $18
8. (110) Buddy Hield (Sac - SG) $20
9. (119) Bam Adebayo (Mia - PF,C) $9
10. (137) Danilo Gallinari (LAC - SF,PF) $8
11. (142) Kelly Oubre Jr. (Was - SF) $3
12. (185) Shai Gilgeous-Alexander (LAC - PG) $3
Unused $1

After reading this topic i got inside my first auction money draft... my tactc was destroyed from the very beginning... After acquiring Harden (as I planned to do) I saw low bids for some very good players (Westbrook, Leonard, Lillard) and I tried to increase the price in order to avoid that somebdoy will buy them low... Eventually I acquired 2/3 of them.... and then in the middle rounds i did not have enough money to spend...

My team as I drafted:

Harden 73$

Lillard 52$

Leonard 44$

Batum 8$

H. Barnes 3

Gortat 2

Thad. Young 2

Knox 2

Portis 5

RHJ 2

Favors 3

James Johnson 3

Gay 1

Any thoughts... Actually I think that I was lucky that some players like Knox, Barnes Favors were low but in general i have a big gap after my first 3 picks... I was targeting a punt blocks tactic but...

Never bid for a player you can't afford, even if that means someone will get him cheap. If your league is a 10 or 12 teamer you are more or less ****** with this team. 

2 minutes ago, tallball said:

Never bid for a player you can't afford, even if that means someone will get him cheap. If your league is a 10 or 12 teamer you are more or less ****** with this team. 

12 teams

Just now, paokmaniak said:

12 teams

Well here's the thing, you have 3 stars and 10 players who could easily end up outside the top 80. Be agressive on the wire. Maybe try trading Harden for two top 20 players. 

On 10/9/2018 at 6:05 PM, CrypTviLL said:

Not to be rude here as you clearly took a lot of time to write this out and some/most of your points are correct and fine information, but this is some veryyy basic stuff and the strategy proposed here is about as simple of a strategy that exists. You are suggesting that people try to acquire one of the top 5, and then also get a second and third round type talent. That's nothing shocking or noteworthy. 

I actually prefer to let players pay the big time $$$ for the top 5-12 talent and instead have a well rounded team of 10 guys in the top 60 or so (obviously changes with different auctions). 

I think one major note is that for the balanced guys like me is to not get TOO balanced. You *need* to have at least 2-3 players that are only worth $1 or $2 dollars as you'll need to be able to be active on the waiver wire. If you have too good of a team you'll just end up dropping good players. 

The biggest single factor imo is how many streams per week you'll have in the playoffs. You should be drafting to have those slots open for the end of the year AND leaving slots open so you can add guys easily from FA. I've got 10 moves per week so I am to have 2-3 streaminng slots so I prefer to have my last 5 guys cost less than $10 total

• Like 1

On 10/11/2018 at 5:22 AM, EmbiidGOAT said:

Stars and scrubs, work the waiver wire like a pro is the key to auction. 

Yes, major facts here. Too easy to find top 75-100 talent on the waiver wire and way too hard to upgrade your existing talent into the top 50 or top 25 range.

I like the Stars/Scrubs approach as well, especially for those public 12 team leagues that have a decent amount of inactivity. You are almost guranteed to get a full team by playoff time in those style of leagues.