jaystaypaid1

Zach Collins 2018-2019 Fantasy Outlook

he's super raw but I like his potential and his fire. portland traded two picks to move up in the draft to get him and they let Ed Davis go in free agency to free up time for him. 

It may be wayyy to early but I picked him with my last pick in a 12 team keeper league. what do yall think are realistic expectations for him this season?

I picked him up with my last pick as well, in a 14 teamer. i havent watched many Blazers games but the ones i have watched, he seemed to be backing the 4 spot more than the 5? if he's able to back up both Nurk and Aminu, then he shouldnt have a hard time getting to the 20-25 min range. I like his game with that team... Nurk is such a cry baby, its ridiculous AND he doesnt play through many injuries. Plus, last year Ed Davis actually closed out alot of games when Nurk has his head up his a** so there is definitely potential for minutes for Zach. He can spread the floor and give more space for the guards to work with. Portland will be portland... 3pt bombers and he fits in with that. 

• Like 1

26 mins...6/6/6blocks

Blocks and mins is looking very very promising. Anyone watching the game live want to break down the mins distribution, did he back up both 5 and 4?

Added him in deeper leagues...love 3/blocks guys. He has upside and paths to mins now it seems...hmmm

Terry Stotts didn't particularly like Nurk to close games last year. In spite of the fouls tonight, and the small ball matchup (both favouring ZC), Zach should be getting >20 mins standard. I'm intrigued.

23 minutes ago, panthers93 said:

don't read into the block totals, lakers were running right at him. might as well have been padding his stats

6 blocks does seem a bit flukish but I did remember reading something about how they let Ed Davis go to open up more mins for Collins this yr at the 4 and 5. So at the very least mins are very encouraging. He has a unique skillset for a center, can stretch the floor pretty well and defend. Mins are to be had backing the 4/5 and possibly even playing next to Nurk.

Upside meets opportunity is the perfect recipe in fantasy.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, IDatDude said:

6 blocks does seem a bit flukish but I did remember reading something about how they let Ed Davis go to open up more mins for Collins this yr at the 4 and 5. So at the very least mins are very encouraging. He has a unique skillset for a center, can stretch the floor pretty well and defend. Mins are to be had backing the 4/5 and possibly even playing next to Nurk.

Upside meets opportunity is the perfect recipe in fantasy.

we'll see. i doubt he averages 26 mpg but that would be great for his value. problem is he's not very good right now anyway. he's still a ways away from standard league value because the blocks are a mirage. 

1 minute ago, panthers93 said:

we'll see. i doubt he averages 26 mpg but that would be great for his value. problem is he's not very good right now anyway. he's still a ways away from standard league value because the blocks are a mirage. 

Oh no doubt as of now still a watchlist/deep league guy, but def an intriguing player worth keeping eye out for due to very fantasy friendly skillset.

I watched most of the game. Nurk was out because of fouls and I think Collins only played the 5 spot. Can he play PF? I'd like to take a flier on him but worried about minutes going forward.

He can play the 4 but Stotts almost never plays him there next to Nurkic (he did so alongside Davis last season) for whatever reason, wish he would though. Played all his mins at center tonight. 6 blocks is a bit of a fluke but hes a definite 2-3 block guy on good nights. 

Is there a site or app you guys use to see the breakdown of a players minutes at various positions for a game?

45 minutes ago, gymchamp said:

Is there a site or app you guys use to see the breakdown of a players minutes at various positions for a game?

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/c/colliza01.html#all_advanced_pbp

49 minutes ago, Boogie Buckets said:

He can play the 4 but Stotts almost never plays him there next to Nurkic (he did so alongside Davis last season) for whatever reason

It's because he can't defend either position effectively. He'd be much more of a liability on the perimeter though.

10 hours ago, gymchamp said:

I watched most of the game. Nurk was out because of fouls and I think Collins only played the 5 spot. Can he play PF? I'd like to take a flier on him but worried about minutes going forward.

Nurk's fouls were a factor, but only so far. He finished with four fouls, while Collins ended with five. That means that at some point Collins had as many fouls as or more fouls than Nurkic, and Stotts decided to play Zach over Nurk anyway.

I think that Collins's superb effort is what kept him on the court last night. Two of his blocks were legit chase-downs where it would have been easy to give up on the play, and he showed Stotts that he deserves opportunities. That said, he's probably going to be up and down this season.

11 hours ago, panthers93 said:

you in a 20-team dynasty league? enjoy, because that's the only place he should be owned. 

i actually blocked the game. those blocks had very little to do with collins. trying to steer people away from dropping anything of value for him. 

Only place he should be owned?  Sounds a bit narrow-minded.  He's certainly not a must own and I wouldnt drop anyone of value for him.  But I picked him up after my draft in a 14 teamer after putting two guys on injured list.  Played him last night and will take the blocks.  

Collins is still pretty raw.  He's 20 years old and tho he's added noticeable muscle since last season, he still seems to be adjusting to carrying that weight and learning how to use it.  There were also several moments where he could have been aggressive in getting rebounds and he didnt.  Easily could have ended the night with 10 boards.  And part of his fantasy potential is that he has the ability to hit 3s tho he missed his lone attempt last night.

As for the blocks, I would not discount them because the "Lakers were running right at him."  Last time I checked, lots of NBA teams like to attack the rim.  He's obviously not going to lead the league in blocks but he showed very good rim protection and I believe 2 of the blocks were the result of good help defense.  He can have some legit end of bench value in that cat alone.

Again, he's not a must add and still has lots of development to do as a player, but the minutes are encouraging, the blocks are encouraging, and his confidence seeming to grow as the game went along looked like a good sign to me.  If he can actually knock down 3 here and there, mix in a few baskets around the rim to balance out his FG%, and continue to grow as a rebounder and rim protector he will have real value in deeper leagues. 

While not likely, I don't think all of that is out of the question......this year.

Edited by VaTerp
  • Like 2

If you have someone expendable, I would potentially take a bench spot flyer on him in roto leagues and only slot him when Portland plays small ball teams (where Nurkic may end up getting less minutes).

Folks, consider this a goodwill notice, but the public call outs, incredibly lame CSBs, and trolling will stop here.  Please take it elsewhere.

• Like 3

I haven't been following Trailblazer games yet, who's playing C minutes against small ball lineups? Adding Nurkic+Collins minutes don't equal 48min either, is Collins actually playing 5 or just exclusively at 4?

48 minutes ago, kev777zero said:

I haven't been following Trailblazer games yet, who's playing C minutes against small ball lineups? Adding Nurkic+Collins minutes don't equal 48min either, is Collins actually playing 5 or just exclusively at 4?

Exclusively? Collins is almost exclusively playing the 5.