jaystaypaid1

Zach Collins 2018-2019 Fantasy Outlook

Honestly This guy needs  to start at the four. He's a great shooter. Yes he's tall but he's so quick and fast and has guard like moves tbh. Obviously he's not kristaps, but he gives me kristap vibes. He would play super well as a stretch 4...

1 hour ago, bhkim814 said:

Holy s--- hes really mobile for a big man. A lot faster than most bigs!

• Like 1

Lol Zach Collins is good and very promising, but it’s a small sample size and his stats will decrease

what won’t get worse is his high quality defense, he is tailor made for the high pace spread nba offense

Nurk and his more plodding style is the loser from that, unfortunate because he too is an excellent player, especially his post defense and rim protection

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, n.mollov said:

Lol Zach Collins is good and very promising, but it’s a small sample size and his stats will decrease

what won’t get worse is his high quality defense, he is tailor made for the high pace spread nba offense

Nurk and his more plodding style is the loser from that, unfortunate because he too is an excellent player, especially his post defense and rim protection

Golden state has changed the game.

Small ball with stretch 4-5 is the new flavor.

Nurkic is the “old school” model of a center. The 20/10 big man that clogs the middle.

those guys are quickly being phased out because teams are shifting and centers are expected to be more mobile, pass and shoot threes.

Nurkic is good but he’s not a great fit as a starter going up against tier 1 starters but would be excellent going up against a teams bench.

As soon as Collins gets his confidence up, I would be surprised if he doesn’t start over Nurkic

• Thanks 1

Oh this "mobile, space-opening Center story" again.

Gobert, Whiteside, Capela, Drummond, DeAndre Jordan, E.Kanter, D.Howard, Gortat, JaVale McGee, Nurk, Dedmon, Valenciunas, Carter Jr..

drop them all, they are sooo old fashioned..

People see A.Davis, KAT, Jokic and Embiid as role models, but those guys are superstars and hard to duplicate..

Or is there anyone who would prefer to have B.Lopez (shooting treys, very modern) over Drummond.

Don't get me wrong, Zach is a good one, but for my taste to overhyped after fee good games.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Akauders said:

Oh this "mobile, space-opening Center story" again.

Gobert, Whiteside, Capela, Drummond, DeAndre Jordan, E.Kanter, D.Howard, Gortat, JaVale McGee, Nurk, Dedmon, Valenciunas, Carter Jr..

drop them all, they are sooo old fashioned..

People see A.Davis, KAT, Jokic and Embiid as role models, but those guys are superstars and hard to duplicate..

Or is there anyone who would prefer to have B.Lopez (shooting treys, very modern) over Drummond.

Don't get me wrong, Zach is a good one, but for my taste to overhyped after fee good games.

no one s talking about dropping them.. JV is a top 100 player and he is playing 18 mpg. This season all of these guys are super valuable and they are still producing high end stats. We are playing fantasy basketball and in fantasy basketball stats are accumulated with playing time. Three is only a few guys in the list you just dropped who can hold up against a spaced out fast offense and even for those - only capela's been to a conference final and im not sure how much of that was on him vs cp3, harden (put it another way, do you think capela is the beast he is now if he were on orlando s team?)

zach is no superstar and he probably never will even come close to that. But again in fantasy i want my guys to play 30-32 mins a night and this dude is on a trajectory to get there because A) he is showing the skills and B ) the league is trending toward players of his ilk

come play off time i want to go to battle with a guy who s on the court for 32 minutes vs the one who is playing 18 minutes a night

looking at his highlights he seems to have a fairly good udnerstanding of how to PnR but also to PnP as well. Seems like hes got a good understanding of spacing the floor and im not saying his defense is amazing yet, but he gets blocks and other big guys dont. but however it IS HIGHLIGHTS so ofc they will only show the good side, but given POR's offense and how nurk isnt this huge back to the basket center who can dominate nor is he the greatest rim runner, i can see collin's minutes only trending up from here.

The other rim running, non range bigs like capela, drumm, DJ etc are athletic phenoms who can run the rim and play above the basket and have dynamic athelticsm to block and defend. nurk isnt the most athletic guy nor is he a huge giant like boban. The guys like gortat, jonas, and kanter all have respectable midranges who can play face up and a decent post game, but nurk seems to be decent at both but doesnt excel. Gortat is a big mfer and some guys just a better inclination of where to be and how to rebound. I do enjoy the occasional Nurk Alert, but he isnt dynamic enough as the other "old era" bigs like capela and DJ.

this all to say that in these forums we will all overreact :lol: i have collins so its biased ofc, but i think he shows potential to get more minutes high 20s to low 30s as he can play the stretch 5 or occasionally the 4, since aminu can slide down to the 3 even.

• Thanks 1

Ahhh....the internet.  Please slide the personal beefs to your DMs.

Back to Collins, its funny to me that the range of opinions after just a few games goes from "should only be owned in 20 team dynasty leagues" to "should be starting at both the 4 and 5 at the same time because of his ninja like guard skills as a prototype modern day big."

I'm a big fan of his upside and was an early supporter of his in this thread but think we should pump the brakes a bit.  He won't be starting anytime soon over Nurk, who is still a significantly better post and overall player at this point.  And he's not a better defender or rebounder than Aminu who has the ability to switch onto wings and who Stotts called the team's best defender last year. 

Collins really seems to be more focused on boxing out his man rather than aggressively going after rebounds, which is reflected in his relatively low numbers on the boards.  And his offensive game really needs some polish. 

I do think his upside is higher than both in real life and fantasy.  He's 20 years old and still has a lot of room for development physically and skill wise.  But the early signs are encouraging and I think he will continue to provide value as a big who can help you in blocks, 3s, and decent- tho at times inconsistent- percentages.  Exactly what I was looking for when I scooped him.

Edited by VaTerp
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

hopefully this game continues to blow out so we see some garbage time stats from ZC

Edited by WadeW

He is playing out of his zone, trying to bang inside. Get into your bag my guy; drag Boban out in the perimeter and beat him off the dribble

5 minutes ago, pdids911 said:

ended with a decent line. leash is getting longer. 

I'd take that line (well maybe a bit more points!) every single night of the week the rest of the year and not look back.  Scoring and boards are easy to find in big men for the most part.  Freely available via waiver in all but the deepest leagues.  Gimme those stocks.

• Like 2

What I like most is he is not just around the 3 PT line like last year. He tries to get more involved offensively as well and shows some moves around the rim. Sky high dynasty value.

I don’t understand why people care so much about others believing he’s a good defender. Unless you support the Trail Blazers what do you care about whether or not we believe hes a good defensive player lol. I’m a Trail Blazers fan, I know he can be a great defender, why do you care enough to try prove me, and others in here wrong :lol: The blocks are obviously legit and hes getting more and more minutes for a reason. Leave it at that and go argue about some other player. 

His 5 game week has so far contributed 9 rebounds in 4 games

Zac Lopez - rebounding machine!

Edited by Jake the snake