papocrain

Bobby Portis 2018-2019Season Outlook

1 hour ago, NoHablaIngles said:

I dont think Markkanen comes back anytime soon, and i dont think when he does make it back that hell be as effective as last year. UCL injuries are no joke, they take baseball players out of the game for a 12 to 18 months. Nic Batum had the same injury last year and was out longer than expected. He also struggled mightily initially after coming back also. 

What does that mean for Portis? I think he's got a prime oppurtunity to break out this season. The playing time is there and the talent is there; he just needs to put it together and produce. I think he will, imo, a must own in standard leagues right now

Lauri has a sprain, not a tear (which is what requires pitchers to get TJS and miss a year+). It's also a much less severe injury for a basketball player. He's slated to miss 12-20 games, which is significant, but not majorly so. That said, Portis's major issue with regard to minutes/shots will end up being Parker. They'll be sharing off the bench first option duties and I assume the Bulls will be more interested in seeing what they have in Parker and so he'll be the inside/outside big that gets the most cheese outside of Lauri. 

Edited by sleepysock
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, sleepysock said:

Lauri has a sprain, not a tear (which is what requires pitchers to get TJS and miss a year+). It's also a much less severe injury for a basketball player. He's slated to miss 12-20 games, which is significant, but not majorly so. That said, Portis's major issue with regard to minutes/shots will end up being Parker. They'll be sharing off the bench first option duties and I assume the Bulls will be more interested in seeing what they have in Parker and so he'll be the inside/outside big that gets the most cheese outside of Lauri. 

From my understanding, a sprain is another term for a tear. I just dont buy the timeframe they have given. He currently has his shoulder immobilized, and as Batum provided last year, this is not a straightforward injury to come back form. 

But you make a good point about Parker. Parker could be a thorn in Portis' side but i think Portis is the better guy and clearly has preference moving forward given Parkers awful start.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

It's also key to note that Portis and Jabari are the same age.  If we want to talk true upside, Portis is more proven.  People are just high on Jabari because he was a 2nd pick prior to tearing his ACL twice.  

1 minute ago, Kriggly said:

It's also key to note that Portis and Jabari are the same age.  If we want to talk true upside, Portis is more proven.  People are just high on Jabari because he was a 2nd pick prior to tearing his ACL twice.  

If Portis is more proven, doesn't he have less unrealized potential?

They don't affect each other anyway, imo. Bulls paid Jabari a lot, but they also like Portis a lot. It's pretty simple. He'll get minutes while Lauri is out and he'll be great, like he always is when he plays. Then he'll lose them and probably be unownable in standard. Jabari is bench heat. They may both be power forwards but their use to Chicago is completely different. I own both. I'd rather have Portis in the short term. After Lauri returns, we'll see how things shake out.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, miasma16 said:

They don't affect each other anyway, imo. Bulls paid Jabari a lot, but they also like Portis a lot. It's pretty simple. He'll get minutes while Lauri is out and he'll be great, like he always is when he plays. Then he'll lose them and probably be unownable in standard. Jabari is bench heat. They may both be power forwards but their use to Chicago is completely different. I own both. I'd rather have Portis in the short term. After Lauri returns, we'll see how things shake out.

The problem is they're both 4s on the same team.  Jabari has proven he can't play the 3, and when Lauri comes back, minutes are going to be sparse.  How well Jabari is playing now is going to determine minutes in 1-2 months.  

The problem is they're both 4s on the same team.  Jabari has proven he can't play the 3, and when Lauri comes back, minutes are going to be sparse.  How well Jabari is playing now is going to determine minutes in 1-2 months.  

That's a stretch and a half. Jabari is capable of playing the 3 offensively, and they didn't give him a fat contract to play 400 minutes this season. This is the Portis thread, but if you think Jabari is just going to disappear when Markkanen returns you're being unrealistic. I have Portis for his gains now, he's unlikely to be very useful in leagues of standard depth once Lauri is back.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, NoHablaIngles said:

From my understanding, a sprain is another term for a tear. I just dont buy the timeframe they have given. He currently has his shoulder immobilized, and as Batum provided last year, this is not a straightforward injury to come back form. 

But you make a good point about Parker. Parker could be a thorn in Portis' side but i think Portis is the better guy and clearly has preference moving forward given Parkers awful start.

Sprain is a vague term. AFAIK they haven't expounded on the injury other than to say he should be back within a couple months. 

(There are 3 different grades of UCL sprains, and not all are tears). Batum was a grade 3 -- with Lauri we don't know yet. But if I recall Batum's timetable was 8-12 weeks vs 6-8 for Lauri, which makes me think it's likely a less serious injury for Lauri. Unless the Bulls are being weird and lying about the severity, which I guess is possible but wouldn't make a whole lot of sense. 

• Like 1

Just now, miasma16 said:

That's a stretch and a half. Jabari is capable of playing the 3 offensively, and they didn't give him a fat contract to play 400 minutes this season. This is the Portis thread, but if you think Jabari is just going to disappear when Markkanen returns you're being unrealistic. I have Portis for his gains now, he's unlikely to be very useful in leagues of standard depth once Lauri is back.

I think we're talking past each other.  I'm not optimistic enough to assume the Bulls are just going to diminish a dude they're paying 20 mil a year to no minutes, but if Portis plays well while Lauri is out, I'm hoping they don't put Portis back to 20 minutes a night.  The hope is Portis becomes the main dude off the bench, as opposed to them trying to fit Jabari in that role.  Jabari has been garbage at the 3, due to his lack of perimeter defense and a jump shot.         

13 minutes ago, miasma16 said:

This is the main sticking point -- they know what they have with Portis. The Bulls signed Jabari to a 1+1 deal fully intending to see if he could tap into that star potential. He's going to get his 15 shots a night. And it isn't going to be coming at Lauri's or Lavine's expense...

So while BP is capable of being a 20 and 8 big in other circumstances, he's likely going to put up numbers similar to last year's once the bulls are fully healthy. 

• Like 1

I think we're talking past each other.  I'm not optimistic enough to assume the Bulls are just going to diminish a dude they're paying 20 mil a year to no minutes, but if Portis plays well while Lauri is out, I'm hoping they don't put Portis back to 20 minutes a night.  The hope is Portis becomes the main dude off the bench, as opposed to them trying to fit Jabari in that role.  Jabari has been garbage at the 3, due to his lack of perimeter defense and a jump shot.         

Bulls suck and yet they have a logjam at the 4. I know the Bulls don't like Jabari at the 3, but I really don't think they have any choice but to give him minutes there, outside of a trade. I think Portis goes back to the role he had last year, Lauri starts, and Parker probably splits minutes at the 3/4. Again, we'll have to see what happens by the time Lauri returns, because if Jabari keeps playing like he did tonight, he's not getting 25-30 mpg. But Portis is going to be losing more minutes due to Lauri than Parker will, in all likelihood.

5 hours ago, atlantadynasty said:

Once Lauri is back, then Portis will suffer the most. But enjoy the ride till that day 

I kept telling myself that last year where the dude was punched in the face, that Lauri was a temp thing and when he got back that it would affect him.  But, in the end, it didn't.

In the end, production is production and if Bobby can do well in 2 months, who knows what role he might have when Lauri gets back.  But I'm done trying to guess if a guy is gonna get demoted once another player comes back if he's played well.

I picked him up and am pretty happy about it. All I had to do is look at the game log and any time he has gotten even close to 30 minutes he has produced.  He's off to a hot start and I think Fred likes his energy.

1 hour ago, Elcamino said:

I kept telling myself that last year where the dude was punched in the face, that Lauri was a temp thing and when he got back that it would affect him.  But, in the end, it didn't.

In the end, production is production and if Bobby can do well in 2 months, who knows what role he might have when Lauri gets back.  But I'm done trying to guess if a guy is gonna get demoted once another player comes back if he's played well.

So much can happen in 1-2 months. I agree with the thought of just using him while he is getting minutes and then worrying about what happens in the future when you get there. But, if you have a bench spot I would be keeping an eye on a potential replacement for Portis' stats in case he does drop significantly. Also, Portis eats when he is on the court. If he is with the second unit he will have a very high usage. He just gets his. Obviously, starters minutes are ideal, but he can do work in 24-28 mpg. 

• Like 1

I have Markkanen on my injured reserve and I think that Portis will be good for them until Lauri comes back.....maybe top 65-70?

Dear everyone:

We know that Portis' value will take a huge hit when Lauri comes back.  You don't need to keep repeating it.

Until that happens, he's is going to be a very good fantasy asset for the next 1-2 months.  I think a lock for top-80.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

If you have Portis and want to plan for Lauri's return, Boogie is a decent target assuming he's sitting on your waiver.

I think with the reports that he's progressing quickly, he should be back around the time Lauri returns.

• Confused 1

56 minutes ago, COBBLEPOT said:

I might be in the minority, but I think he can sustain these stats even when Lauri returns,

Doubtful. He's been in the league for a while. I'm a proud owner of him because he produces whenever he gets minutes. He's young, sure, so things can change. But it certainly doesn't look like he's going to make a leap forward, and he'll probably be droppable when Lauri returns.

Tony Parker went down and landed into Portis' knee in a pretty bad angle. If I am guessing, I would say he sprained something in his knee. If Parker is out there I would speculatively add. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, thezing1 said:

Tony Parker went down and landed into Portis' knee in a pretty bad angle. If I am guessing, I would say he sprained something in his knee. If Parker is out there I would speculatively add. 

Thought it was Jabari Parker for a second and thought Portis just got Portis'd

6 minutes ago, adithmuluk said:

Out for weeks? Where did you read that?

Btw pretty good team

Edited by HerrMcKenzie