Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Peppy

Desmond Jennings OF TB

Dude is on fire since his return from injury. Is there any chance he gets a September call up this year?

Absolutely zero. If not less than that.

Lol ya, he's in A ball and just started playing again.

He's an elite athlete, and growing as a baseball player, but I'm tempering expectations for the next 2 years. He's giving baseball his full attention now, so we'll see if he can be the next Upton/Crawford, as he's almost exactly the same type of player! Like his plate discipline last year, and his speed is elite, but want to see him hit at AA before I feel I can gauge his ETA.

He's an elite athlete, and growing as a baseball player, but I'm tempering expectations for the next 2 years. He's giving baseball his full attention now, so we'll see if he can be the next Upton/Crawford, as he's almost exactly the same type of player! Like his plate discipline last year, and his speed is elite, but want to see him hit at AA before I feel I can gauge his ETA.

Ditto

He's back, and he's on fire.

In Double-A, heating up, and showing the same blazing speed he had before - 5/5 on SB attempts. The K's are a little high for his usual excellent contact rates, but the running shows he feels healthy, so looking forward to a huge 2009.

When CC's contract is up in 2010, I suspect they have the perfect replacement should a contract not be workable. And frankly, while there's still time to stumble, or get hurt, he profiles better than CC did contact-wise and BB rate wise. Probably no more than 15 HR power, but if you can get a .300+/15 HR/50+ SB with plus D, that's the jackpot!

Most hardcore MILB'ers knew about him *before* last season, but in case he slips by in new leagues, make sure you pounce - one of my favorite candidates for "making the jump" from good to elite prospect in 2009. All he needs is health.

He's back, and he's on fire.

In Double-A, heating up, and showing the same blazing speed he had before - 5/5 on SB attempts. The K's are a little high for his usual excellent contact rates, but the running shows he feels healthy, so looking forward to a huge 2009.

When CC's contract is up in 2010, I suspect they have the perfect replacement should a contract not be workable. And frankly, while there's still time to stumble, or get hurt, he profiles better than CC did contact-wise and BB rate wise. Probably no more than 15 HR power, but if you can get a .300+/15 HR/50+ SB with plus D, that's the jackpot!

Most hardcore MILB'ers knew about him *before* last season, but in case he slips by in new leagues, make sure you pounce - one of my favorite candidates for "making the jump" from good to elite prospect in 2009. All he needs is health.

Agree with everything you said, kid is def. elite.

Thank goodness. As a Rays fan, and as I drafted him in my deep dynasty league, here's hoping to an injury free season so he can show everything he's got.

Thanks for the update RRF!

3rd HR last night, 6/6 SB's for the season.

Only blemish - BB/K rate still not ideal, but also early. Likely will stay entire 2009 in AA/AAA, then the usual May 2010 callup likely IMO if he continues to rake.

He's been touted since before 2008 here, but now the mainstream public is going to know about him soon - BA's Daily Dish made him the lead story last Thursday.

If you are in dynasty/long-term keeper (with MILB) leagues and he's somehow still available (he's not in any of mine, because I have him, LOL), get him *now*.

Guys still raking. .380 avg with a modest 1028 ops. Walks are still lower than they should be at for him but the rest of his numbers are amazing.

6-9 last night, 3 SB's. What impressed me is that he didn't slow down on the back end of the doubleheader.

If he can stay healthy, he's going to make Carl Crawford fantastic trade bait for the Rays this fall...

Actually hitting over .400 now with 6 multi hit games in a row. B)

Actually hitting over .400 now with 6 multi hit games in a row. B)

How long before he gets promoted to AAA Durham? I think he's proved enough in Montgomery!

Just another FIVE hit game for DJ last night! Currently hitting an even .400 with an OPS of 1.054! Oh and nine steals too! Can you say stud?!?!

How come this kid does not show in the Rotoworld Season Pass top 100?

Any ideas?

Maybe because he was coming off an injury plaqued 2008? Not sure why else really. This kid will be top 5 going into next year for sure. He's a future stud and the future could be September this year or early 2010.

Maybe because he was coming off an injury plaqued 2008? Not sure why else really. This kid will be top 5 going into next year for sure. He's a future stud and the future could be September this year or early 2010.

I am on board with the kid - just wondering. He is making picking my minor league keepers nearly impossible......... a nice problem to have thanks!

How come this kid does not show in the Rotoworld Season Pass top 100?

Any ideas?

When you read the Season Pass Minors page, without getting into details (pay sites), it says it's interested only in impact players for 2009 - so they pretty much throw out guys who they don't see are going to impact this year.

Make no mistake though, he's been a favorite of mine for 2 years now, and given health, I believe he'll be a top 10 prospect entering into 2010.

Two more hits last night for DJ. Hitting .390 now with 4 HR, 24 RBI, 10 SB, 1.054 OPS in 35 games. Shouldn't be too long before he gets promoted to AAA Durham and then after he tears up there hello big leagues!

Another 3 SB's, last night. BB/K ratio more like normal - 15:20 (and a 9:1 BB/K ratio in last 10 games). And I think OBP & OPS through the roof. 33 R/13 SB in 37 games. Yeah, he's OK. B)

One point about his MLB ETA - given that he's never even played at AA before, he's likely going to get the full season at AA/AAA. Given how the Rays are treating Price, and given that unlike P's (they need Niemann in the back end of the 'pen to bolster them and Price in the rotation), they actually have options (that aren't as good as Jennings, but can fill in) in Matt Joyce / Fernando Perez (plus Zobrist is a super-sub guy in RF now).

Barring injury to Upton/Crawford/RF, I fully expect a June 2010 callup to avoid Super-2 arbitration and get the extra year before FA - I don't think it's a great play from a purely 2010 perspective, but unlike Price's case, the Rays have options, and they would like to see Jennings get 400+ PA's in a full season at high-level competition.

But, make no mistake - if he comes up next season, he's a favorite for ROY - unlike Crawford, who was still very raw when he came up mid-season and used his skills, Jennings really flashes skills *and* an advanced approach.

Another 3 SB's, last night. BB/K ratio more like normal - 15:20 (and a 9:1 BB/K ratio in last 10 games). And I think OBP & OPS through the roof. 33 R/13 SB in 37 games. Yeah, he's OK. :)

One point about his MLB ETA - given that he's never even played at AA before, he's likely going to get the full season at AA/AAA. Given how the Rays are treating Price, and given that unlike P's (they need Niemann in the back end of the 'pen to bolster them and Price in the rotation), they actually have options (that aren't as good as Jennings, but can fill in) in Matt Joyce / Fernando Perez (plus Zobrist is a super-sub guy in RF now).

Barring injury to Upton/Crawford/RF, I fully expect a June 2010 callup to avoid Super-2 arbitration and get the extra year before FA - I don't think it's a great play from a purely 2010 perspective, but unlike Price's case, the Rays have options, and they would like to see Jennings get 400+ PA's in a full season at high-level competition.

But, make no mistake - if he comes up next season, he's a favorite for ROY - unlike Crawford, who was still very raw when he came up mid-season and used his skills, Jennings really flashes skills *and* an advanced approach.

You beat me with the update! B) I have to say though it would be fun to think of an OF of Crawford, Upton & Jennings.... I'm hoping he gets the chance at Durham soon though and continues his outstanding play...

Another 3 SB's, last night. BB/K ratio more like normal - 15:20 (and a 9:1 BB/K ratio in last 10 games). And I think OBP & OPS through the roof. 33 R/13 SB in 37 games. Yeah, he's OK. B)

Thanks for this. I got him in the 5th round of my minors draft in my 18-team league. I'm quite happy to have him. I agree with everything you've written. Isn't it nice when you have someone down on the farm that makes CARL CRAWFORD expendable? That's the kind of talent Mr. Jennings has.

Thanks is a great way to put it... seeing how I snagged him off of waivers .. minors are kind of shallow in my league, but not THAT shallow...........

Three more hits tonight with a walk to raise the average back up to an even .400. Oh and also stole his 14th base! STUD!

Since I've been pointing out the good in Jennings all season, I have to also update the bad. He's been in a mini slump over the last week. His average has dropped to .371, but his OPS is still over 1.000, so he's still having a fantastic year. Look for him to bounce back this week and get his multi hit games going again. Still a stud coming your way very soon.....