Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Peppy

Desmond Jennings OF TB

HR# 5 tonight for Jennings!

oK guys he's not,not enough power ,equal speed(maybe)

181AB,.370AVG,6HR,28RBI,16SB,4CS...22 years old

his HR per AB is about 30 so for a full season(IF he can stay healthy) he would hit about 20HR,3 of his HR where "just over the fence" and he has 26K and 21BB which is good,doesnt K much but at his prime he will go

.290AVG,20HR,70RBI,30SB, (him batting 1st which he woult)

9 hole or anywhere else,.290AVG,20HR,60RBI,25SB(brings down a little

U guys need to think about something, he will not get alot of time with B.J and Crawford in the OF,most likely will NEVER bat 1st,prob. the 9 hitter and the only way i see him getting time is at RF, and woult be a good fantasy player cause his team and the lineup.......IF he would bat 1st he would be good but he woult, he wil be good but more like a torii hunter than alfonso!

The Jennings discussion is probably better here than in the top 5 thread, regardless.

So, I disagree on the SB ceiling, based on the following:

1. Skills - BA & BP both rate his speed as plus-plus. On the 20-80 scale, he rates a 80. He's been profiled by BA as having even better speed/hitting tools than Carl Crawford at the same age.

2. High OBP skills - he gets on at a *huge* OBP clip, which is a formula for high SB's.

3. Career record - 32 SB in 45 games in 2006. 45 SB's in 99 games in 2007. 5 SB in 17 games in an injury-shortened season. 16 SB's in 47 games.

The guy has actually averaged 50+ SB per 500 PA's, and that's with 2 seasons where had injuries to his knee/non-throwing shoulder. The nature of those injuries aren't chronic, and his season so far has scouts seeing the same ceiling. I'm not really sure how you can equate plus-plus speed, excellent contact rates and a very high OBP with a 30 SB projection. While scouts aren't 100 percent accurate, when they *all* rave about Jennings as the prototype leadoff man, and they all point to him being better than CC at the same age skills-wise, I can't really say I understand or agree with the notion that in his *prime*, he'll hit 30 SB's with full-time playing position. It's rare for both the scouting *and* the metrics to be in this much agreement - when it is, I pay attention.

The guy has speed to burn, high OBP skills, and best of all, he's only getting better. His success rate is 98/124, which is a tick below 80 percent. Sorry, but everything screams prototypical leadoff hitter, and his ceiing is even *higher* than 50 SB's, given the above. If he fails, I doubt it's because of his speed - it will because he can't stay healthy, that has been the only limiting factor so far.

(If you want to talk 2010, sure, but then I think he's going to play 75 percent of the 2010 MLB games. But make no mistake, this guy is the real deal as a *better* version of Carl Crawford).

The Jennings discussion is probably better here than in the top 5 thread, regardless.

So, I disagree on the SB ceiling, based on the following:

1. Skills - BA & BP both rate his speed as plus-plus. On the 20-80 scale, he rates a 80. He's been profiled by BA as having even better speed/hitting tools than Carl Crawford at the same age.

2. High OBP skills - he gets on at a *huge* OBP clip, which is a formula for high SB's.

3. Career record - 32 SB in 45 games in 2006. 45 SB's in 99 games in 2007. 5 SB in 17 games in an injury-shortened season. 16 SB's in 47 games.

The guy has actually averaged 50+ SB per 500 PA's, and that's with 2 seasons where had injuries to his knee/non-throwing shoulder. The nature of those injuries aren't chronic, and his season so far has scouts seeing the same ceiling. I'm not really sure how you can equate plus-plus speed, excellent contact rates and a very high OBP with a 30 SB projection. While scouts aren't 100 percent accurate, when they *all* rave about Jennings as the prototype leadoff man, and they all point to him being better than CC at the same age skills-wise, I can't really say I understand or agree with the notion that in his *prime*, he'll hit 30 SB's with full-time playing position. It's rare for both the scouting *and* the metrics to be in this much agreement - when it is, I pay attention.

The guy has speed to burn, high OBP skills, and best of all, he's only getting better. His success rate is 98/124, which is a tick below 80 percent. Sorry, but everything screams prototypical leadoff hitter, and his ceiing is even *higher* than 50 SB's, given the above. If he fails, I doubt it's because of his speed - it will because he can't stay healthy, that has been the only limiting factor so far.

(If you want to talk 2010, sure, but then I think he's going to play 75 percent of the 2010 MLB games. But make no mistake, this guy is the real deal as a *better* version of Carl Crawford).

Nice post. I totally agree with you. He's destined to lead off and actually get on base unlike BJ Upton. He had another great game last night going 3-3, with two walks and his 6th HR! This guys is a bona fide STUD!

Jennings is hitting .350 with 6 HR's, 31 RBI, 41 runs, 19 SB's, 123 TB's, .978 OPS. First time in a long time that his OPS has been under 1.000.....

For those that haven't followed, Jennings is cooling off - .avg still at .327, OBP .400+ and now 22 SB's in 63 games. No doubt there have been adjustments by the scouting reports - now time to see how Jennings adjusts back.

Even with the slump, though, there are signs of even more advancement - the K/BB rate has returned to more normal #'s - 35/29 in 280+ PA's. Those are excellent #'s - any contact rate near 90 percent with a decent LD & GB rate for a speedster portends .300+ ability. Plus, his SB rate is up to an impressive 22/26.

If he can keep the contact rates above 90 percent and keep a .400+ OBP througout the year with his doubles power (OPS still .921), it forecasts great things ahead. Add in the plus D he already offers and the RF void the Rays have - as long as Jennings demonstrates the ability to adjust back to whatever the pitchers are doing now, and maintain elite contact & OBP rates, well, the sky's the limit as a prototype leadoff hitter with some punch.

Two more steals for DJ tonight to bring his total up to 24.....

The latest from Baseball America:

Desmond Jennings, of, Rays: At the end of May, Jennings was looking like a frontrunner for our Minor League Player of the Year award. He's certainly still in the mix, but he's having a month he'd like to forget. The 22-year-old with Double-A Montgomery has hit only .220/.312/.305 in 82 at-bats in June and has only one extra-base hit in his last 41 at-bats. He hit just .143/.182/.143 (3-for-21) with one RBI on the week.

Not the news I was hoping for. I look for him to adjust and turn it around

The latest from Baseball America:

Desmond Jennings, of, Rays: At the end of May, Jennings was looking like a frontrunner for our Minor League Player of the Year award. He's certainly still in the mix, but he's having a month he'd like to forget. The 22-year-old with Double-A Montgomery has hit only .220/.312/.305 in 82 at-bats in June and has only one extra-base hit in his last 41 at-bats. He hit just .143/.182/.143 (3-for-21) with one RBI on the week.

Not the news I was hoping for. I look for him to adjust and turn it around

He was bound to cool down eventually as he wasn't going to hit .400 the whole season. He's turning it around lately with back to back multi hit games. 27 steals in 74 games with 31 XBH's! He's a stud....

at best i see him being a guy who MIGHT go .300 15HR with about 40-50SB at most

And what would be wrong with that? How many of those are in the big leagues now?

That's a borderline first round pick considering the Rays are likely to continue being a good offensive team for him to pad his team-oriented numbers (RBI/Runs). He's got fantasy stud written all over him, so I'm not sure what the bold underlined "at most" was for. Seems like a silly post unless you made it in jest.

Third straight multi hit game today for Jennings with his 28th steal.... B)

I would agree with that. And that's pretty amazing.

That's like a hybrid of BJ Upton and Carl Crawford. He'll strike out as rarely as Crawford, but walk about 2x the amount of times Crawford does.

.300/.375/.450 from your leadoff guy with 40+ steals is pretty damn phenomenal

lmao i said at best not like hes gonna do it,

basiclly i see him being ellsbury wit more power, less speed,and worse AVG

What makes you think this?

I TRULY BELIEVE HIS POWER IS A FLUKE,not to many SB this year, i think this will be a huge down year.

What makes you think that his power is a fluke?

And what makes you think he'll have a lower average than Ellsbury, since he strikes out less than Ellsbury, and walks more. That would be a quite an interesting anomaly in BABIP for a speedster.

And what makes you think he'll have a lower average than Ellsbury, since he strikes out less than Ellsbury, and walks more. That would be a quite an interesting anomaly in BABIP for a speedster.

before u critisize me PLEASE get the right stats, jennings has 10 more K'S but 14 more Walks. He has 31XBH which is decent, not great, ryan theroit had more HR cmon now.

If jennings comes CLOSE to the career jacoby has, ill be shockd

before u critisize me PLEASE get the right stats, jennings has 10 more K'S but 14 more Walks. He has 31XBH which is decent, not great, ryan theroit had more HR cmon now.

If jennings comes CLOSE to the career jacoby has, ill be shockd

I really don't know what your points are in this thread? Jennings has the potential to be a very scary leadoff hitter by next season. He probably won't post huge power #'s, but he will hit for average, score tons of runs, and steal tons of bases. If that doesn't excite you then I don't know what will?

Again i ask, what signs has he showed that make you think his power is a fluke?

Again i ask, what signs has he showed that make you think his power is a fluke?

Ya it's kind of hard to call 6 HR's a fluke unless you think he's Juan Pierre or something. I mean it's not hard for a guy who will see 600+ AB's to hit 10-15 HR's unless like I said you are Juan Pierreish. I actually think he's very comparable to Denard Span but will probably steal more bases. Love these guys in my leagues with walks.

hes in what single A or AA?

He will never be there leadoff hitter with B.J or CC in there, he will never hit more than 20HR or 50SB in a season.

Just wait everyone thinks he will be the next hanley or jose reyes, hes not.