Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Peppy

Desmond Jennings OF TB

hes in what single A or AA?

He will never be there leadoff hitter with B.J or CC in there, he will never hit more than 20HR or 50SB in a season.

Just wait everyone thinks he will be the next hanley or jose reyes, hes not.

So your talking about this guy and you don't know what level he's at in the minors? He will bat leadoff for the Rays at some point for sure. He has the potential to steal 40 to 50 bases no doubt and his power will develop as he goes. I never said he'd be a hanley or reyes, but he will come close. He's in AA BTW....

hes in what single A or AA?

He will never be there leadoff hitter with B.J or CC in there, he will never hit more than 20HR or 50SB in a season.

Just wait everyone thinks he will be the next hanley or jose reyes, hes not.

Sorry if you misunderstood my question the first two times i asked it, i may have worded it too strongly. I'll try again, but this time in bold.

Why do you think his power is a fluke?

Why not? What makes you think he will never hit 20 HR or steal 50 bases?

He's tied for 5th in his league in extra base hits. 31 extra base hits for a guy with 30 stolen bases and a .400 OBP is more than "OK". It's phenomenal. It's otherworldly. It's superstar status.

Now, he's a bit old for AA. He's 23 (Crawford was 20 when he was in AA). I don't think anyone is saying he'll be Hanley or Reyes.

Crawford isn't a leadoff hitter. And he'll probably be gone by the time Jennings is up anyway. Upton is better suited for RF because of his arm, so he'll probably move there. Jennings is a fantastic deffensive CF, and as a former quarterback, has a cannon for an arm.

Nobody is expecting Crawford to hit much more than 20 homers. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if he never topped it. I think 10-15 homers is probably a good guess. And with a .375 OBP, 40-50 steals, 40 doubles and 15 triples, he would be a superstar.

He's tied for 5th in his league in extra base hits. 31 extra base hits for a guy with 30 stolen bases and a .400 OBP is more than "OK". It's phenomenal. It's otherworldly. It's superstar status.

Now, he's a bit old for AA. He's 23 (Crawford was 20 when he was in AA). I don't think anyone is saying he'll be Hanley or Reyes.

Crawford isn't a leadoff hitter. And he'll probably be gone by the time Jennings is up anyway. Upton is better suited for RF because of his arm, so he'll probably move there. Jennings is a fantastic deffensive CF, and as a former quarterback, has a cannon for an arm.

Nobody is expecting Crawford to hit much more than 20 homers. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if he never topped it. I think 10-15 homers is probably a good guess. And with a .375 OBP, 40-50 steals, 40 doubles and 15 triples, he would be a superstar.

I'd have to strongly agree with The Man..... B)

Hey I also don't come on here to plug so-so prospects. Take a look at the three hitters I touted all last year and see what happened with them. Denard Span, Nelson Cruz & Nolan Reimold were three guys last year that I was high on and plugged to no end in this fourm and they are all up in the big leagues and producing quality #'s.....

lol funny u think he will be as good if not better than CC, trust me his power is a fluke i know it

lol funny u think he will be as good if not better than CC, trust me his power is a fluke i know it

You know it? How do you know it? I'm not saying he will or will not be good because if I am being honest I don't know a lot about baseball nevermind prospects but could you at least back up what you say with facts. Like his power is a fluke because he is playing in a hitters park or he has a long swing and it won't translate well to the big leagues. I can say that player A's power is a fluke or player B's strikeouts are a fluke but if I don't say why with facts it won't mean jack.

Maybe if I ask codename we'll get an answer...How do you know his power is a fluke? It's funny how there will never be another CC. He's that good that no one coming up will ever come close to being another CC. Wasn't CC rated lower this year everywhere because of his down year last year? Did you think CC would do what CC has done this year going into the season? I'll answer this one for you, no! Jennings has better plate discipline, so he may be better than CC!

Maybe if I ask codename we'll get an answer...How do you know his power is a fluke? It's funny how there will never be another CC. He's that good that no one coming up will ever come close to being another CC. Wasn't CC rated lower this year everywhere because of his down year last year? Did you think CC would do what CC has done this year going into the season? I'll answer this one for you, no! Jennings has better plate discipline, so he may be better than CC!

funny thing, ya actually i did because he was hurt last year and if u look at his track record u would see his speeds foreal.....

Scouting Report good hitter, fast, not a lot of power, needs to be more patient,22Power: 28XBH good sign, but needs to reduce SO's59Speed: Very good speed, just needs to cut down the CS98Contact: Good contact, solid .300 hitter, needs to approach the plate better71Patience: Needs to get better at not swinging at pitches out of the zone67

from baseball america

so there, got it from "experts"

Someone actually knows what there saying!

Nice, unsourced article to support your opinion. What did you just google that and find something that seemed negative. Or was something that was from 3 years ago?

Anyone who says he strikes out too much doesn't know what they are talking about.

He's a speedster with a 10-15% BB rate and barely a 10% k rate. Those ratios are fantastic. You are not going to find many players with those kinds of ratios - especially speedsters.

funny thing, ya actually i did because he was hurt last year and if u look at his track record u would see his speeds foreal.....

Scouting Report good hitter, fast, not a lot of power, needs to be more patient,22Power: 28XBH good sign, but needs to reduce SO's59Speed: Very good speed, just needs to cut down the CS98Contact: Good contact, solid .300 hitter, needs to approach the plate better71Patience: Needs to get better at not swinging at pitches out of the zone67

from baseball america

so there, got it from "experts"

Someone actually knows what there saying!

So you're saying that at the age of 23 years old he can't correct those problems? Kind of like he's doing in Double A this year?

So you're saying that at the age of 23 years old he can't correct those problems? Kind of like he's doing in Double A this year?

Actually that's probably from when he was 20.

Nice, unsourced article to support your opinion. What did you just google that and find something that seemed negative. Or was something that was from 3 years ago?

Anyone who says he strikes out too much doesn't know what they are talking about.

He's a speedster with a 10-15% BB rate and barely a 10% k rate. Those ratios are fantastic. You are not going to find many players with those kinds of ratios - especially speedsters.

if u know how to read it said BA, and it was 1 week ago so, DONT GET MAD CAUSE" THE NEXT CC ISNT THAT GOOD" ya hes 22, for most of the 22 year olds dont have good scouting reports like t.snider, just wait and see when he becomes a BUST!

That article would probably be from when he was only 19 years old, since that's when his strikeout rates were a bit on the high end (15.9 K%, 8.9 BB%). Ever since then, he's improving them almost every year. Right now, his K/BB is nearly even on the year. In the months of May and June, he's actually walked more then he's struck out.

The point is, the clipping or whatever that was you posted, mentioned his number of extra base hits was a good sign, and that it was his strikeouts he needed to reduce, while talking about his power. Well, guess what? He has improved his K%, to an extremely low 8% in June. That's lower then Albert Pujols.

So...If the article says he needs to cut back on his strikeouts, and he did just that, wouldn't that be proof showing his power is legit, and not a fluke?

Makes sense to me.

That article would probably be from when he was only 19 years old, since that's when his strikeout rates were a bit on the high end (15.9 K%, 8.9 BB%). Ever since then, he's improving them almost every year. Right now, his K/BB is nearly even on the year. In the months of May and June, he's actually walked more then he's struck out.

The point is, the clipping or whatever that was you posted, mentioned his number of extra base hits was a good sign, and that it was his strikeouts he needed to reduce, while talking about his power. Well, guess what? He has improved his K%, to an extremely low 8% in June. That's lower then Albert Pujols.

So...If the article says he needs to cut back on his strikeouts, and he did just that, wouldn't that be proof showing his power is legit, and not a fluke?

Makes sense to me.

it was made 1 week ago, i dont follow jennings alot so i dont know how much he K's but i found that article intresting, i truly dont think he has the power to hit 20HR, he might prove me wrong cause hes 22 but i doubt it.

if u know how to read it said BA, and it was 1 week ago so, DONT GET MAD CAUSE" THE NEXT CC ISNT THAT GOOD" ya hes 22, for most of the 22 year olds dont have good scouting reports like t.snider, just wait and see when he becomes a BUST!

If that article is from one week ago, and it's telling him to cut back on his strikeouts, he has. He hasn't struck out in 8 games.

Can we have a link? Baseball America's a pretty big website, and i'm not about to go searching through it all.

Also wondering, are you saying Travis Snider doesn't have a good scouting report? Then why would he have been ranked a top 10 prospect 2 years in a row, while being the youngest player at AAA/MLB, and one of the youngest at AA? Something doesn't add up.

Funny thing, Desmond Jennings was also hurt last year. He only played in June.

it was made 1 week ago, i dont follow jennings alot so i dont know how much he K's but i found that article intresting, i truly dont think he has the power to hit 20HR, he might prove me wrong cause hes 22 but i doubt it.

Sorry, i don't believe your thoughts on Jennings. You don't follow him a lot, yet you try and make assumptions regarding his future?

If that article is from one week ago, and it's telling him to cut back on his strikeouts, he has. He hasn't struck out in 8 games.

Can we have a link? Baseball America's a pretty big website, and i'm not about to go searching through it all.

Also wondering, are you saying Travis Snider doesn't have a good scouting report? Then why would he have been ranked a top 10 prospect 2 years in a row, while being the youngest player at AAA/MLB, and one of the youngest at AA? Something doesn't add up.

Travis snider K's alot doesnt know his strikezone, flies out alot, slow, hits for a low AVG.......he has power and only 21, he will fix it up.

Travis snider K's alot doesnt know his strikezone, flies out alot, slow, hits for a low AVG.......he has power and only 21, he will fix it up.

So in this thread, you've mentioned that you don't follow Jennings, and you don't even know what level he's in, yet you're in here spouting off about him?

So in this thread, you've mentioned that you don't follow Jennings, and you don't even know what level he's in, yet you're in here spouting off about him?

I dont follow him as much as some players but i know his baseline stats, and ya hes in AA(i think?)

There isn't an article on Jennings in the last week on BA - it's relatively easy to search & find linked articles.

There is a chat (free content) piece on him:

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/draft...009/268411.html

Rob Howe (Iowa City, Iowa): Michael Stanton or Desmond Jennings?

J.J. Cooper: I'll go Stanton, but that's a great pair to choose between. That's like choosing between Stephen Strasburg or Bryce Harper, a Drover bone-in ribeye or Lo Sole Mio pasta in Omaha, a chance to go to Cooperstown or spring training or ... you get the picture.

The BP & BA writeups on Jennings this year (both paid content) actually point out the same opinions:

1. Plus-plus speed, *outstanding* plate discipline - 15+ HR power, and *plus* defense for a CF. The prototypical lead-off hitter.

2. Only question mark is his injury history.

FWIW, it's the same opinion put forth by Keith Law. Without a url link, the excerpt above actually looks quite outdated - especially when the paid content does nothing but praise Jennings in all facets.

A 15+ HR, 50+ SB with exceptional on-base and contact skills is the assessment I stick to for his ceiling. Everyone is entitled to their opinion - but the track record & scouting reports don't support a contrarian view.

To boot, there's also a Baseball America article from April, praising his strike zone discipline.

To boot, there's also a Baseball America article from April, praising his strike zone discipline.

BA has also been one of DJ's biggest fans this year constantly putting him on the hot list and calling him a shoe in for minor league player of the year.....

When should we expect Jennings in the big leagues? I mean, it's not like TB is hurting for speedy OF with good plate discipline at the moment, although, as other have said, watching Jennings, Upton, and Crawford defend out there will be great.