Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Peppy

Desmond Jennings OF TB

When should we expect Jennings in the big leagues? I mean, it's not like TB is hurting for speedy OF with good plate discipline at the moment, although, as other have said, watching Jennings, Upton, and Crawford defend out there will be great.

EXACTLY he will never play, Zobrist too. B.J,C.C and Evan are there franchise players, so i see it being very unlikely for him to start anytime soon! ill gues 2011 at earliest

EXACTLY he will never play, Zobrist too. B.J,C.C and Evan are there franchise players, so i see it being very unlikely for him to start anytime soon! ill gues 2011 at earliest

Their right field is currently the Gabe platoon with Zobrist manning second base. It's not unfathomable to think that Jennings could possibly give them a similar lift that Fernando Perez did last year. Granted they won't be in the same spot that they were last year.

zobrist is playing 2nd cause akauri (forgot know his name) hes normally and OF

I highly doubt them also having Longoria affects Desmond, but....whatever.

I highly doubt them also having Longoria affects Desmond, but....whatever.

hmm i actually said hes there franchise player bud

zobrist is playing 2nd cause akauri (forgot know his name) hes normally and OF

Well aware of this, which is why I said Jennings could possibly be a stretch run player for them.

Well, you mentioned Longoria (along with 2 out of a possible 3 outfielders), and then the unlikeliness that he would start anytime soon.

Why would Longoria hurt Desmond's chances of starting anytime soon?

Sure sounds like you're implying Longoria standing in his way.

As much as I like Jennings, he will not help anyone this year. At best, he'll come up in September, but I find that highly unlikely. He's missed most of the past two seasons due to injury. They aren't going to rush him.

He'll be up in 2010, probably after starting in AAA. Four of their starting 9 have run out after the 2010 season (Burrell, Pena, Crawford, Iwamura). Jennings will absolutely be starting by April 2010, and I wouldn't be surpised if the Rays find a spot for him before then.

If you are going to debate about a player, at least spend the 10 seconds necessary to know players names (it's Iwamura) and what level someone is in. It makes you seem completely ignorant about the situation and therefore nullifies your opinion.

You are right footballpimp in that TB has a lot of talent there already. HOWEVER, if Jennings continues to develop and CC is a FA after 2010 I see plenty of playing time in this kids future.

I'm skeptical if Zobrist will be the answer long term. He's been playing great, don't get me wrong, but he doesn't have anything close to the tools Jennings has. Darn the Rays also have David Price, so that will delay DJ until at least 2012 now. I'm cutting the bum.... B)

Now now, don't forget Randy Choate. He could be a franchise player as well.

I'm skeptical if Zobrist will be the answer long term. He's been playing great, don't get me wrong, but he doesn't have anything close to the tools Jennings has. Darn the Rays also have David Price, so that will delay DJ until at least 2012 now. I'm cutting the bum.... B)

What do "tools" have to do with playing time? There are a lot of "toolsy" guys who get to the majors and flame out, while guys like Zobrist, Utley, Uggla, DeRosa etc. end up becoming productive major leaguers without any of the hyped up prior expectations of guys like Maybin.

DJ will get his chance. If they move Crawford in the offseason, it'll come sooner.

What do "tools" have to do with playing time? There are a lot of "toolsy" guys who get to the majors and flame out, while guys like Zobrist, Utley, Uggla, DeRosa etc. end up becoming productive major leaguers without any of the hyped up prior expectations of guys like Maybin.

DJ will get his chance. If they move Crawford in the offseason, it'll come sooner.

Meaning I don't think Zobrist keeps this up and will not be a regular in the starting lineup. He's playing over his head right now and will most likely find himself in a super utility role at some point again. DJ on the other hand is a five "tool" player who will be a starter his whole career. I also wouldn't put Zobrist in the same class as Utley, geez....

they will resign C.C, he is the franchise player, like the mets cutting beltran, woult happen

they will resign C.C, he is the franchise player, like the mets cutting beltran, woult happen

is he THE franchise player? or are " B.J,C.C and Evan (are) there(sic) franchise players"? I am confused now. Either Way, I am getting the feeling this Jennings kid took your spot on the HS baseball team.

I truly doubt the Rays are going to let Jennings play much more than in a Sept. callup role for this year. They *might* even go the Super-2 avoidance route and let him sit out the MLB callup until late-May/early June 2010 - their record with Longoria (who they didn't call up until they had an extension pretty much in place), and Price (who they kept down until his FA window passed for an extra year) suggests they would at least consider it. If they call him up in September, however, much like they did with Price, they would have to keep him down at least 6 weeks to buy an extra year of free agency. And while some teams like the Tigers don't worry about these things, clearly it's a consideration for the Rays.

Having said that, to clarify a few points touched on earlier:

1. Zobrist & future - I love the guy, and his story. But he's not going to block Jennings, for a simple reason - if Zo plays awesome, the Rays only have Iwamura signed for this year. They can buy out Iwamura's option for 2010 for a cheap 250k. So, if Zo is still awesome, they can actually consider to keep him at 2B. If this is a mirage (and I'm not sure it is, I do think this is his career year, but that's a long way from calling him a mirage), then they have a cheap 2B option they can use with Iwamura. Point being, the Rays actually have the means to keep a spot open, because Iwamura's option can be bought out easily and cheaply. Zo at 2B & Jennings at RF at minimum wage is a real scenario for 2010, given the above. Or, if Zo's season turns out to be a mirage, they exercise the option for Iwamura, keep 'Zo as a super-utility guy, and Jennings still has a great shot at the open OF spot.

2. In the end, it's really all up to Jennings - if he can continue to demonstrate the awesome skills for a leadoff hitter, and especially given that he's a plus OF defensively, that actually *helps* his case to make the MLB club. From a talent perspective, the Rays would be best served to him form the most athletic OF around for 2010 from Opening Day. But, their business practice could delay that a little - but make no mistake, if he continues to demonstrate the plus-plus speed, elite contact/batting eye combo, and the plus D, Jennings is going to be the hot topic in ST and off-season - much like he is already now.

is he THE franchise player? or are " B.J,C.C and Evan (are) there(sic) franchise players"? I am confused now. Either Way, I am getting the feeling this Jennings kid took your spot on the HS baseball team.

BRO, some one said longoria doesnt impact his value? And C.C is there most important part to sucess, he has what 8HR and 40SB? before the break if jennings breaks that ANYTIME in his career i will give u 1000 dollars....."DJ" aint nothin!

You've admitted that you don't know much about Jennings. You don't know what league he's in. You don't know what level he's in. You probably don't know from which side he bats. Yet you continue to talk about how overrated he is, and how little potential he has.

But what you did say, is that you know stats. You follow his numbers. Ok. Since you're so into numbers, this should be right up your alley.

Jennings missed his age 21 season due to injury, but his age 20 season was great. .315 BA, .401 OBP, .465 SLG and 45 steals in an injury shortened season (was on pace for 60). His 45 steals put him in the top 20 of all minor leaguers. You seem to think that's not all that special.

In the last 20 years, do you know how many times a player under 22 finished in the top 25 in steals in the minors while putting up at least a .400 OBP and .450 SLG? Two. Desmond Jennings in 2006 and Derek Jeter in '94. That's it. Crawford never did it. Reyes never did it. Hanley never did it. Soriano never did it. A-rod never did it. Beltran never did it. Abreu never did it. David Wright, BJ Upton, Delmon Young, Matt Kemp, Granderson, you name it. Nobody.

Jeter and Jennings.

And you know what, Jennings is about to do it again this year. The only other person to do it at 22 is Brent Lillibridge, but that was when he was in low A.

i never said jennings isnt good i just said hes overrated

And for the 10th time that people have asked and you have dodged.

Overrated, why? Why is his power overrated? Why is his speed overrated? Why is his plate discipline overrated? Why, when he's achieved something (and possibly twice) that happens once every generation?

Why are his exceedingly impressive statistical accomplishments in the minors, a mirage? Why won't they translate to the majors? What is this compelling information you have, you know, since you haven't watched a second of the guy play, and don't know anything about him other than his (incredibly impressive) statistics.

You quote some unnamed source filled with inaccuracies (he strikes out too much and doesn't walk enough???), and that's supposed to be a contribution to this discussion?

I just do not think he will ever go .300 20HR, 60 SB like you i think he will go 10-15 HR .280, 50SB

You've admitted that you don't know much about Jennings. You don't know what league he's in. You don't know what level he's in. You probably don't know from which side he bats. Yet you continue to talk about how overrated he is, and how little potential he has.

But what you did say, is that you know stats. You follow his numbers. Ok. Since you're so into numbers, this should be right up your alley.

Jennings missed his age 21 season due to injury, but his age 20 season was great. .315 BA, .401 OBP, .465 SLG and 45 steals in an injury shortened season (was on pace for 60). His 45 steals put him in the top 20 of all minor leaguers. You seem to think that's not all that special.

In the last 20 years, do you know how many times a player under 22 finished in the top 25 in steals in the minors while putting up at least a .400 OBP and .450 SLG? Two. Desmond Jennings in 2006 and Derek Jeter in '94. That's it. Crawford never did it. Reyes never did it. Hanley never did it. Soriano never did it. A-rod never did it. Beltran never did it. Abreu never did it. David Wright, BJ Upton, Delmon Young, Matt Kemp, Granderson, you name it. Nobody.

Jeter and Jennings.

And you know what, Jennings is about to do it again this year. The only other person to do it at 22 is Brent Lillibridge, but that was when he was in low A.

Wow some good stuff there. I didn't know that there have only been two players that have done this.

I just do not think he will ever go .300 20HR, 60 SB like you i think he will go 10-15 HR .280, 50SB

And like I asked you before how is that overrated and what's wrong with those #'s?

Okay, then he's not overrated. Because nobody is actually saying he'll go .300 with 20 homers and 60 steals.

Hidden

what a waste of a post due to the ignorance of one member in particular!