chimera

John Wall 2018-2019 Season Outlook

Why it is difficult to "built around" Wall? I drafted him on Sunday and after draft was completed stats showed to me season average 47,5% FG and 79,3% FT. Difficult? Of course I mean whole team average.

Edited by apatas

35 minutes ago, apatas said:

Why it is difficult to "built around" Wall? I drafted him on Sunday and after draft was completed stats showed to me season average 47,5% FG and 79,3% FT. Difficult? Of course I mean whole team average.

For the reasons listed previously - he's hurting you in not only one, but both percentages (FT% not as much, but he's not exactly providing help from your guard position) and he's doing you zero favors if you're trying to win turnovers.

With no positive percentage impact, you're spending a second round pick on someone who hurts you in three categories (really four, if you count 3PM) and isn't doing much to help you win those weeks where you have a light schedule of games and have to rely on percentages to be competitive.

So much of his value is tied up in his assists and steals production, and if you draft him, you have to acknowledge that there are going to be at least a couple of teams in your league who will be punting assists, which makes that second round pick that you just spent on Wall null and void when you have to play those teams.

Edited by alclayno
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, alclayno said:

For the reasons listed previously - he's hurting you in not only one, but both percentages (FT% not as much, but he's not exactly providing help from your guard position) and he's doing you zero favors if you're trying to win turnovers.

With no positive percentage impact, you're spending a second round pick on someone who hurts you in three categories (really four, if you count 3PM) and isn't doing much to help you win those weeks where you have a light schedule of games and have to rely on percentages to be competitive.

So much of his value is tied up in his assists and steals production, and if you draft him, you have to acknowledge that there are going to be at least a couple of teams in your league who will be punting assists, which makes that second round pick that you just spent on Wall null and void when you have to play those teams.

imho Wall is the probable NBA assist leader in the upcoming season (expecially if Howard plays) and that's irrelevant for you?

Other lie: fg%
2017/18 stats: 
Wall 42,4% = trash
Lillard 43,5% = must have player

Wall FT% is always near to 80% so I don't see the problem 

Last two season 20+ ppg , about 10 apg
Two seasons ago was NBA steals category winner, one of the best PG in blocks category, more than decent rebounds 

and take a look to last playoff stats, he was the best overall point guard

I can't understand why all the concerns on this guy.. the question mark is just if he can stay healthy.. if plays he's one the best PG in the game

Edited by LosingEffort
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, LosingEffort said:

imho Wall is the probable NBA assist leader in the upcoming season (expecially if Howard plays) and that's irrelevant for you?

Other lie: fg%
2017/18 stats: 
Wall 42,4% = trash
Lillard 43,5% = must have player

Wall FT% is always near to 80% so I don't see the problem 

Last two season 20+ ppg , about 10 apg
Two seasons ago was NBA steals category winner, one of the best PG in blocks category, more than decent rebounds 

and take a look to last playoff stats, he was the best overall point guard

I can't understand why all the concerns on this guy.. the question mark is just if he can stay healthy.. if plays he's one the best PG in the game

Only when facing a team that's punting assists, and there'll usually be a couple of those in most leagues.

The FG% comparison between Wall & Lillard isn't apples to apples. Wall's FG% is low while also giving you subpar production in 3PM. Lillard gives you elite production in 3PM and more PPG to offset his FG% (which is already higher than Wall's, despite Lillard taking more shots from distance).

80% from the free throw line is fine, it's just not enough of an anchor that you can rely upon to offset someone else's bad FT%, and if you're not punting FT%, you really need a starting guard who can convert from the line at a higher percentage (unless you plan on only drafting non-punt FT% bigs).

The 20 and 10 is fine - alongside the elite steals and out of position blocks - but for me personally, I don't want someone who hurts one of my percentages, doesn't make up for it with 3PM production (how are you going to have a low FG% *and* low 3PM?), doesn't anchor the other percentage, and is a relative injury-risk.

If I'm for sure going to lose one percentage category, I have to win the other one most if not all weeks.

• Like 1

In H2H its tough to factor in percentages - last year Wall had stretches where he's closer to 90% FT and stretches where he's under 60%.  Basically if you're trying to compete in assists or do a punt FG% team I think he's almost a must draft target in the 2nd round, depending on who's available but slightly over CP3 and Love depending on your injury risk assessment between the three of them.  I would do Dipo and Dame over Wall.  Probably Russ over Wall.  

If you're drafting with efficiency and health risk in mind he's almost a DND at all costs. 

wall had a bad season last year.......before that, he was 80% from the line and 45% from the field, which is very good for a point guard.

he's being judged on last year, which was an injury riddled season. he will be better than where he's being drafted.

• Like 1

I hope he keeps this up, even when Dwight returns.  I listened to the dwight howard truthers on this forum and didn't draft Wall.  Would serve me right.

I have 2 questions on wall, Im weighing up a trade for him in my 1 league.

How do you guys like him in a points based league? 20-30 range with top 20 upside?

Also for this year we are setting our lineups for the whole week so how is his durability? I know there are knee issues but what are the chances of him sitting out games in the middle of the week for maintenance, migraines, etc.?

16 minutes ago, stay_woke said:

How do you guys like him in a points based league? 20-30 range with top 20 upside?

Also for this year we are setting our lineups for the whole week so how is his durability? I know there are knee issues but what are the chances of him sitting out games in the middle of the week for maintenance, migraines, etc.?

whats the trade

1 hour ago, stay_woke said:

top 20 in a standard points league easily, much better than in 9-cat

Just now, panthers93 said:

top 20 in a standard points league easily, much better than in 9-cat

So definitely better than blake griffin? Sorry I know this is AC material but figured you guys would know best 

Just now, stay_woke said:

So definitely better than blake griffin? Sorry I know this is AC material but figured you guys would know best 

Blake and lou are also much better in 9-cat. depends on your style of team building. 

wall has durability concerns but less than blake. in your weekly format that could be a problem but I've never done a weekly lineup league so i don't know how to prioritize. wall is a very good upside player at his adp though, and I'd much rather have a point guard than an equivalent forward. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stay_woke said:

Im gonna offer blake griffin and lou williams

if u can get that, congrats 

55 minutes ago, ejaggit said:

Has his ft% always been this atrocious?

Can you not type "John Wall stats" into Google and check for yourself?

1 minute ago, alexstr said:

Can you not type "John Wall stats" into Google and check for yourself?

What's google?

JK,

i should've phrased that properly.. 

Edited by ejaggit

Career sub 80% FT shooter.  Low 70s last year and even worse to start off this early season.  

Long term I'm down on Wall.  FWIW- I inherited him in a 14 team 2 player keeper headed into his career year in 16-17.  He's obviously elite in assists and steals and out of position blocks.  He's a hard punt on turnovers and below avg on % especially combined with his volume and lack of 3 proficiency.  So in my view his FT% really tilts his value in 9 cat H2H.  With the volume he shoots, both his percentages can hurt even more than it appears.  And outside of 16-17 season he's never been above 20 points per game. Those factors along with knee issues on a guy whose game is built on athleticism, I'm thinking he's peaked.  And why I said up thread I find him relatively difficult to build around.

This is all the perspective of someone who owns him thinking about the long term and also a DC homer who has watched his whole career and just don't see the improvement, consistency, and winning basketball plays/habits.  I don't see him adding little things to his game to supplement his speed, acceleration and overall athleticism and be more efficient in half court sets.  As someone who has been around a lot of basketball, he just frustrates me.

For this season, I do think he will return value for where I assume most drafted him.  And if you put the right build around him, he's a guy who if things go well with his health and timing, could put teams over the top come playoff time with his elite cats.  So I don't want to be all doom and gloom on him, especially after 3 games.

But again, if I had him in dynasty and or keeper I'd be at the very least looking at offers to deal him this year or in the off-season.  I see a very good player whose window is passing to be a truly elite fantasy asset.  Looking for a trade partner who values him more than I do.  He is only 28 and has a lot of good basketball and stats ahead of him.

I always found Wall to be overdrafted in recent years (as a late first / early second) but think this year's ADP was far more reasonable. I picked him up at 31 and think he has significant value in assists and stocks, but realize that you should be punting at least one of the %s or TOs for him to work.

Just now, backyardballer said:

I always found Wall to be overdrafted in recent years (as a late first / early second) but think this year's ADP was far more reasonable. I picked him up at 31 and think he has significant value in assists and stocks, but realize that you should be punting at least one of the %s or TOs for him to work.

Absolutely. I guess one of the benefits of drafting Wall is that you could choose to go multiple routes of builds for your team if you'd consider trading him...  

What happened to his free throws? this guy was a 80% FT shooter going into last season .. I really think the rule change has affected some (Westbrook is another one that comes to mind). They need to go back to giving players freedom to do whatever they feel in between shots.