• Announcements

• tonycpsu

Comments on New Forum Design (UPDATED with workarounds)   02/12/2019

We are aware that the current layout of the Rotoworld forums is not going over well, and we feel your pain.  Please direct any comments about the new look of the forums to help@rotoworld.com, or to this thread. For those who are able to install user styles, (e.g. with the Stylish addon for Firefox or Chrome), you may wish to try a couple of user-created alternative styles. RW Forums Tweaks by tonycpsu Rotoworld Forums Dark Mode by sngehl01  
bradwatson

2019 Offseason Closer Thread

RW favorite Sir Anthony got the save yesterday. My guess is he'll start the 2019 season as the closer in Philly.

In Milwaukee Jeffress will likely be the closer to start the season right? He and Knebel are both under contract there for a few more years.

What will happen in Cleveland?

Romo is a FA this year so you would think Alvarado would be the first choice there.

Buttrey seemed like he had taken over in Anaheim, but he had knees problems and melted down at the end of the season. Back to Parker?

Who else will be making changes for 2019?

I believe Zach Britton is a FA as well. Gotta believe some team will sign him to close games. As long as he is healthy, should be a quality option.

Don't sleep on Diego Castillo in TB. 

Nate Jones with White Sox, injury prone for a team that likely struggles again next year, but he's the clear best option short term

May in Minnesota

I still like Jimmie Sherfy, but doubt he closes games for Arz at this point. However, I think he'll be used in high leverage situations. 

I mentioned this elsewhere but what about Trevor May in Minnesota? His numbers upon returning from TJ were dominating, and he had three saves in the final week of the season.

14 minutes ago, rdf8585 said:

I mentioned this elsewhere but what about Trevor May in Minnesota? His numbers upon returning from TJ were dominating, and he had three saves in the final week of the season.

Maybe, but it seems like I read somewhere that they still want to try him as a starter.

Jose Leclerq dominated after he got closer: 12 saves, 29 k's, 0.00 era, 0.50 whip, that was from my team log he may have gotten another save 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, blackbeard said:

Jose Leclerq dominated after he got closer: 12 saves, 29 k's, 0.00 era, 0.50 whip, that was from my team log he may have gotten another save 

big time

i think hes gonna be great value next year too

shhhhh

2 hours ago, blackbeard said:

Thanks to this board I added him immediately when the Kela news broke. He performed like a top 5-10 closer the rest of the way. This board is why I never pay for saves. He should be a top tier guy for 2019.

Jose Alvarado faced 33 batters in September and struck out 18 of them. He’s only 23 and has elite stuff.

I’m not sure what the Rays bullpen will look like - the team that brought us the opener isn’t necessarily going to use a traditional closer. Alvarado picked up 8 saves this year mostly in lefty situations. Maybe that happens again, but even then he’s worth owning. If he ever were to be a full-time closer I think he could be top 5.

• Like 3

With Barraclough in Washington, is anyone racing to add Steckenrider in keeper/dynasty leagues still allowing adds?

22 hours ago, rdf8585 said:

With Barraclough in Washington, is anyone racing to add Steckenrider in keeper/dynasty leagues still allowing adds?

I would of guessed he kinda was gonna be the guy, but the trade certainly brings some clarity (at least to that situation) although, these small market budget teams seem to use bullpen arms as one of their better trade chip commodities so who knows, maybe he gets dealt too. 

I say Knebel is looking like the closer for Milwaukee

I am not saying Hader is going to be the closer in MIL but is he going to be a safer pick than a lot of closers that don't have a strong hold on the job?

On 10/10/2018 at 3:46 PM, rdf8585 said:

Only if you keep a ton of players.  Otherwise you're looking at a mediocre reliever on an awful team that got very little in the way of saves this season (29th in the league with 30).

On 10/1/2018 at 10:56 AM, bradwatson said:

Buttrey seemed like he had taken over in Anaheim, but he had knees problems and melted down at the end of the season. Back to Parker?

eh, the meltdown was only two games and may well have happened *because* of the knee thing, which was only bursitis and so should be fine by the spring. sounds like the angels will have a new manager and are the kind of team that might sign somebody over the winter, so it's impossible to call now. but i wouldn't write off buttrey; he was really good before that burp at the end. i'd still rather have him than parker.

the rays have a lot of power arms (diego, stanek, etc) but alvarado was clearly second man in the pen behind romo for most of the year, the only one of that group who was never used as an opener, and was really good towards the end, so he seems like the clear favorite to me. 

bearclaw had already been phased out in miami so i don't think him leaving actually changes much there. removes him as a bounceback threat, that's about it. steckenrider... who knows. 

ottavino is an interesting wildcard if he signs to close somewhere - he was insanely good this year as wade D's setup guy. but the rockies will probably try pretty hard to keep him; they tend to cling to any pitcher who shows he can get it done in coors, and it's hard to blame them. 

other situations that bear watching: giants (will smith? back to melancon? or strickland? young guys?), arizona (??), cardinals (hicks?), mets (?????), royals, white sox, tigers (when do they move from greene to joe jim?), orioles 

On ‎2018‎-‎10‎-‎01 at 5:32 PM, kwolf68 said:

Don't sleep on Diego Castillo in TB. 

Nate Jones with White Sox, injury prone for a team that likely struggles again next year, but he's the clear best option short term

May in Minnesota

I still like Jimmie Sherfy, but doubt he closes games for Arz at this point. However, I think he'll be used in high leverage situations. 

Any belief that Fry will be given an opportunity?  Also wondering if Kelvin Herrera will be signed to be a closer.

On 10/1/2018 at 8:29 PM, jfazz23 said:

big time

shhhhh

No way.  He'll be the most written about sleeper that isn't a sleeper going into the year.  You'll get a great rp but I doubt at a great value

• Like 2

On 10/1/2018 at 8:22 PM, blackbeard said:

On 10/1/2018 at 8:29 PM, jfazz23 said:

big time

shhhhh

After what happened with Knebel this season, I'd be a bit worried. Leclerq's control wasnt the greatest before this past half season.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, WahooManiac said:

No way.  He'll be the most written about sleeper that isn't a sleeper going into the year.  You'll get a great rp but I doubt at a great value

If you think h'es the next Edwin Diaz then he will still be great value.  A hyped unproven RP does not go in the same range as a hyped unproven hitter. Its not like he's gonna get last years Buxton/Albies hype levels. 

Also those thinking Knebel takes over

https://www.brewcrewball.com/2018/10/12/17967214/milwaukee-brewers-jeremy-jeffress-game-163-chicago-cubs-epilepsy

Ever since Jeffress missed game 163 due to his epilepsy related issue. He's god awful in the playoffs. Giving up 14 hits and 4 walks in 6.2 innings in the post-season.  I think he'll be fine after an off-season of rest and Consell clearly still puts a ton of trust even when he's struggling. As it seems there is reason for said struggles.

Though Epilepsy is something he's always had to deal with.

4 hours ago, Slatykamora said:

If you think h'es the next Edwin Diaz then he will still be great value.  A hyped unproven RP does not go in the same range as a hyped unproven hitter. Its not like he's gonna get last years Buxton/Albies hype levels. 

Also those thinking Knebel takes over

https://www.brewcrewball.com/2018/10/12/17967214/milwaukee-brewers-jeremy-jeffress-game-163-chicago-cubs-epilepsy

Ever since Jeffress missed game 163 due to his epilepsy related issue. He's god awful in the playoffs. Giving up 14 hits and 4 walks in 6.2 innings in the post-season.  I think he'll be fine after an off-season of rest and Consell clearly still puts a ton of trust even when he's struggling. As it seems there is reason for said struggles.

Though Epilepsy is something he's always had to deal with.

I posted in the Jeffress thread, because I wasn't sure if he had a physical issue, but hasn't looked right since. 

This explains why they were hush-hush about it and don't think he has a physical issue.

I'm rooting for the guy and hope he pitches well the rest of the way.

9 hours ago, Gryfter said:

After what happened with Knebel this season, I'd be a bit worried. Leclerq's control wasnt the greatest before this past half season.

could be a case of him finding "it"

i really dont see myself spending big on a closer.  i was for it this past year with jansen but even that sort of bit me/everyone in the butt

9 hours ago, jfazz23 said:

could be a case of him finding "it"

i really dont see myself spending big on a closer.  i was for it this past year with jansen but even that sort of bit me/everyone in the butt

It could be. I had Leclerq and he was great after taking over.

I guess for 2 years in a row, grabbing closers after their breakouts (Diaz in 2017, thought he wasnt that bad and Knebel this past season) and not working out has me a bit hesitant.

• Like 1

On 10/1/2018 at 7:16 PM, Chubbles said:

What’s up with cmart? Are his days as a starter over?

He's going to be starting in 2019. At least initially.