bradwatson

2019 Offseason Closer Thread

38 minutes ago, JeterPimpedUrGF said:

So now that Edwin Diaz is a Met, who’s next in line in Seattle? A.Colome?

Colome is on the White Sox now.  I'd guess Nicasio.

1 hour ago, JeterPimpedUrGF said:

So now that Edwin Diaz is a Met, who’s next in line in Seattle? A.Colome?

Colome went to the White Sox for Narvaez.  It's probably Pazos at the moment, but a lot can happen.  Many relievers out there in free agency, someone is probably going to have to settle for less than they hoped.

Edited by TopChuckie

On 12/2/2018 at 8:51 AM, TopChuckie said:

Colome went to the White Sox for Narvaez.  It's probably Pazos at the moment, but a lot can happen.  Many relievers out there in free agency, someone is probably going to have to settle for less than they hoped.

Both Pazos and Nicasio gone now.  Armstrong for now....until he gets traded too.

1 hour ago, Magoo said:

Both Pazos and Nicasio gone now.  Armstrong for now....until he gets traded too.

Swarzak maybe, but he's probably on his way out at some point too.

3 hours ago, TopChuckie said:

Swarzak maybe, but he's probably on his way out at some point too.

Armstrong was given a few chances last year.  Makes more sense to give him the role then trade him vs. Swarzak who was pretty bad last year.

Their AA closer, Matt Festa, was their minor league pitcher of the year and was a top 10 prospect according to Fangraphs before the season. He got a few innings with the M's at the end of the year. He's probably in the mix as well. 

• Like 1

Arizona situation according to Rotoworld blurb:

Diamondbacks manager Torey Lovullo said Tuesday that he's leaning toward using Archie Bradley as the team's closer in 2019.

That's as of Tuesday, December 11th btw since this thread doesn't end any time soon.

Kimbrell looking for a 100M dollar deal from the Sox do they sign him? They have a weak bullpen (did a lot better in playoffs than regular season), and Joe Kelly just left them to join the Dodgers.

2 minutes ago, jeffr913 said:

Kimbrell looking for a 100M dollar deal from the Sox do they sign him? They have a weak bullpen (did a lot better in playoffs than regular season), and Joe Kelly just left them to join the Dodgers.

No the Red Sox are NOT re-signing Kimbrel.  They have made it clear they are not re-signing him from the get go. They have enough bad contracts on their books then to sign someone to the worst contract of the year whose skills are eroding so quickly.

And before someone says oh no his stats were good last year etc.  I'm talking about eyeballs on him as in a LOT of his K's were real struggles starting 2 years back and especially last year.  He can't blow people away any more.  So many of those K's were on 3-2 counts with the batters fouling off pitch after pitch running up the count in the mean time.  Was not the least unusual to see counts routinely end up at 8 or 10 pitches.  Major warning signs.  He also started to show lack of control and couldn't throw strikes and any ball close enough to the plate to get batters to chase at times thus a lot of those full counts as well as walks.  If any team is foolish enough to sign him to a big, BIG, multi-year deal they might get one kind of decent year out of him at most.

Dave Dombrowski just said yesterday right after the Winter Meetings ended that "overly aggressive offers" for relievers happen at this time of the year and the Red Sox were not prepared to go after relievers until later.  In other words they will look to pick up some cheap arms and see who works out and who doesn't.  In this new era of super-pens the Sox are not buying in on the idea.  It worked last year to everyone's surprise.  Don't know that it can work two years in a row though.

• Like 2

Andrew Miller to the cardinals 2/25

You think hell be in the mix for saves? Cant imagine Reyes gets thrown into a full time closing roll when he returns, Hicks seems to be his only competition for the 9th inning.

Personally I think hell stay in the 7th/8th inning role, hicks will start the year closing down games, miller mixed in here and there. Is that the consensus?

2 hours ago, SwayzeExpress said:

You think hell be in the mix for saves? Cant imagine Reyes gets thrown into a full time closing roll when he returns, Hicks seems to be his only competition for the 9th inning.

Personally I think hell stay in the 7th/8th inning role, hicks will start the year closing down games, miller mixed in here and there. Is that the consensus?

I think so. Miller is honestly more valuable to teams as a multi-inning fireman. Decent amount of risk in this signing considering his injury-riddled 2018.

Beat writers on STL Post-Dispatch are saying Cards are looking to mix and match in the ninth, likely with Miller against tough lefty assignments and Hicks when key righties are coming up.

• Like 2

On 12/21/2018 at 11:13 AM, SwayzeExpress said:

I hope Miller closes most the time. I could see it as hicks in the 8th and Miller takes end of 8th if needed and 9th.  Hicks needs to throw strikes consistently before he's named closer and is reliable. Shreve and Cecil have the leftys earlier on, brebia and hicks , miller .

Reyes is not closing , maybe some bullpen but doubt it.  I would rather have him throw some rehab starts and take it easy and return to the rotation. 

I don't think the Cardinals really do stuff like put their young stud SP off two surgeries into the bullpen. He's gotta warm up as reliever, come in to.throw one inning , throws very hard...just seems like a bad idea. I hope he rehabs AAA as a starter and when he's 100% put him in that rotation. 

• Like 1

I know things haven’t all shaken out yet, but typically there’s a couple guys on here that will rank the closers for standard 5 x 5 roto. I’d love to see some thoughts on ranking the top 40 RP as things stand now. 

Get married with kids and your NFL team sitting home during the playoffs and this is what you have to look forward to on Saturday nights.

Please feel free to add your thoughts

Free Agents with saves potential

Kimbrel

Ottavino

Herrera

Romo

Holland

Allen

Norris

Boxberger

AJ Ramos

Super early "Closure depth chart"

closer / possible guy with value or candidate

Boston- Barnes/Braiser?

NYY - Chapman/Betances/Britton

TB- Alvarado/Castillo

Tor- Giles

Bal- Givens

Cle - Hand

Min - May/Reed/Hildenberger

Det -  still Greene?

KC -  no clue

ChiA - Colome

LAA - Buttrey/Anderson

Oak - Treinen

Sea - No clue.  Swarzak?  Watch out for Altavilla if healthy

Tex - Leclrec

Hou - Osuna/Pressley

Atl - Viz/MInter

Phi - Dominguez/Robertson

Mia - Steckenrider

Was - Doolitte/Beaerclaw

NYM - Diaz/Familia

ChiC - Strop/Edwards/Cishek/Morrow

Mil - Hader/Knebel/Jeffress

Pit - Vazquez

Cin - Iglesias

Stl - Hicks/Miller/Reyes

Lad - Jansen

Col - Davis

Arz - Bradley/Hirano

SD - Yates

SF - Smith/Melancon

NFBC Top 40 ADP RPS (hope I didn't miss anyone)

1.  Diaz

2.  Treinen

3. Kimbrel

4.  Jansen

5.  Chapman

6.  Vazuez

7.  Osuna

8.  Hand

9.  Hader

10.  Igelias

11. Doolittle

12. LeClerc

13.  Davis

14.  Yates

15.  Giles

16.  Knebel

17.  Alex Reyes

18.  Dominguez

19.  Alvardo

20.  Will Smith

21.  Britton

22.  Vizcaino

23.  Hicks

24.  MOrrow

25.  Bradley

26.  Cody Allen

27.  Givens

28.  Minter

29.  Ottavino

30.  Betances

31.  May

32.  Steckenrider

33.  Colome

34.  Jeffress

35.  Robertson

36.  Familia

37.  Buttrey

38.  Greene

39.  Andrew Miller

40  Strop

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, kidtwentytwo said:

Get married with kids and your NFL team sitting home during the playoffs and this is what you have to look forward to on Saturday nights.

Kimbrel

Ottavino

Herrera

Romo

Holland

Allen

Norris

Boxberger

AJ Ramos

Boston- Barnes/Braiser?

TB- Alvarado/Castillo

Tor- Giles

Bal- Givens

Cle - Hand

Det -  still Greene?

KC -  no clue

ChiA - Colome

LAA - Buttrey/Anderson

Oak - Treinen

Tex - Leclrec

Hou - Osuna/Pressley

Atl - Viz/MInter

Mia - Steckenrider

Was - Doolitte/Beaerclaw

NYM - Diaz/Familia

Pit - Vazquez

Cin - Iglesias

Stl - Hicks/Miller/Reyes

Lad - Jansen

Col - Davis

Arz - Bradley/Hirano

SD - Yates

SF - Smith/Melancon

1.  Diaz

2.  Treinen

3. Kimbrel

4.  Jansen

5.  Chapman

6.  Vazuez

7.  Osuna

8.  Hand

9.  Hader

10.  Igelias

11. Doolittle

12. LeClerc

13.  Davis

14.  Yates

15.  Giles

16.  Knebel

17.  Alex Reyes

18.  Dominguez

19.  Alvardo

20.  Will Smith

21.  Britton

22.  Vizcaino

23.  Hicks

24.  MOrrow

25.  Bradley

26.  Cody Allen

27.  Givens

28.  Minter

29.  Ottavino

30.  Betances

31.  May

32.  Steckenrider

33.  Colome

34.  Jeffress

35.  Robertson

36.  Familia

37.  Buttrey

38.  Greene

39.  Andrew Miller

40  Strop

Just texted a buddy of mine and said it's just 10:30 on a Saturday during the NFL playoffs and I'm reading sleeper articles on Jonathan Villar.

No kids yet for me but one on the way. Cot damn I can't wait for baseball to start back up.

Nice just btw. Very curious about the Philly situation after adding Robertson. I was banking on Sir Anthony for the season...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, kidtwentytwo said:

Kimbrel

Ottavino

Herrera

Romo

Holland

Allen

Norris

Boxberger

AJ Ramos

Boston- Barnes/Braiser?

TB- Alvarado/Castillo

Tor- Giles

Bal- Givens

Cle - Hand

Det -  still Greene?

KC -  no clue

ChiA - Colome

LAA - Buttrey/Anderson

Oak - Treinen

Tex - Leclrec

Hou - Osuna/Pressley

Atl - Viz/MInter

Mia - Steckenrider

Was - Doolitte/Beaerclaw

NYM - Diaz/Familia

Pit - Vazquez

Cin - Iglesias

Stl - Hicks/Miller/Reyes

Lad - Jansen

Col - Davis

Arz - Bradley/Hirano

SD - Yates

SF - Smith/Melancon

1.  Diaz

2.  Treinen

3. Kimbrel

4.  Jansen

5.  Chapman

6.  Vazuez

7.  Osuna

8.  Hand

9.  Hader

10.  Igelias

11. Doolittle

12. LeClerc

13.  Davis

14.  Yates

15.  Giles

16.  Knebel

17.  Alex Reyes

18.  Dominguez

19.  Alvardo

20.  Will Smith

21.  Britton

22.  Vizcaino

23.  Hicks

24.  MOrrow

25.  Bradley

26.  Cody Allen

27.  Givens

28.  Minter

29.  Ottavino

30.  Betances

31.  May

32.  Steckenrider

33.  Colome

34.  Jeffress

35.  Robertson

36.  Familia

37.  Buttrey

38.  Greene

39.  Andrew Miller

40  Strop

Nice list. Here is my initial:

tier 1

1. Treinen

2. Diaz

3. Chapman 

4. Jansen

5. Kimbrel

6. Osuna

7. Hand

tier 2

8. Vazquez 

9. Leclerc

10. Giles

11. Doolittle

12. Iglesias

13. Knebel

14. Davis

15. Yates

tier 3

16. Alvarado

17. Minter

18. Robertson

19. Bradley 

20. Andrew Miller

21. Hader 

22. Will Smith

23. Adam Ottavino (for now)

25. Hicks

tier 4 

26. May

27. Colome

28. Givens

29. Strop

30. Steckenrider 

31. Buttrey 

32. Greene

33. Vizcaino

2 hours ago, Magoo said:

Nice list. Here is my initial:

tier 1

1. Treinen

2. Diaz

3. Chapman 

4. Jansen

5. Kimbrel

6. Osuna

7. Hand

tier 2

8. Vazquez 

9. Leclerc

10. Giles

11. Doolittle

12. Iglesias

13. Knebel

14. Davis

15. Yates

tier 3

16. Alvarado

17. Minter

18. Robertson

19. Bradley 

20. Andrew Miller

21. Hader 

22. Will Smith

23. Adam Ottavino (for now)

25. Hicks

tier 4 

26. May

27. Colome

28. Givens

29. Strop

30. Steckenrider 

31. Buttrey 

32. Greene

33. Vizcaino

What do you in partiuclar like about Giles?

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, taobball said:

What do you in partiuclar like about Giles?

Besides the skills it’s the clear role and that I think he’s less likely to be traded than some other guys around him.

Edited by Magoo

4 minutes ago, Magoo said:

Besides the skills it’s the clear role and that I think he’s less likely to be traded than some other guys around him.

Skills in terms of Ks but not run suppression recently, which is more important. 4.11 ERA in 2016, solved himself a bit better in 2017, but jumped back to a 4.56 ERA in 2018, meaning he's been over 4.10+ ERA two of the last three years. His ERA was over 4 with the Blue Jays. And I think that ERA alone makes me more skeptical that he holds that job. No one will hold a job if he can't keep the other team from scoring, which Giles hasn't effectively done two of the past three years, at least to the expectations of the position. 

His K/9 also fell under 10 last year. It was slightly over 10 with the Blue Jays, but even that is significantly different than his near 12 K/9 Career rate. Maybe the HR/FB% does simply regress and he's a solid closer with the Blue Jays, but after the numbers he's put up the last two years, I'm not putting him over anyone in your second tier. I'd much rather have all of them. 

remember that the nats signed trevor rosenthal, who missed last year with TJ but was one of the better relievers in the game the year before he went down. he's probably the first backup to doolittle if healthy, with bearclaw being more of a reclamation project

i think morrow's still the cubs closer whenever he's online but he's not going to be ready for the start of the year so he'll be a stash

• Like 1

All the projections I’ve seen have Giles’ ERA in the 3s and I think he can be drafted as such.  He had some stretches where he gave up a lot of hits in the years where he struggled, but his overall track record doesn’t suggest he is inherently hittable and there aren’t really any other red flags other than his tempermant.  Given how volatile the closer position can be, the firmness of his hold on the job now that he got a change of scenery is worth something.

3 minutes ago, Weekday Warrior said:

All the projections I’ve seen have Giles’ ERA in the 3s and I think he can be drafted as such.  He had some stretches where he gave up a lot of hits in the years where he struggled, but his overall track record doesn’t suggest he is inherently hittable and there aren’t really any other red flags other than his tempermant.  Given how volatile the closer position can be, the firmness of his hold on the job now that he got a change of scenery is worth something.

I'm not saying he's undraftable. I'm just saying I'd take Doolittle, Iglesias, Knebel, Davis, and Yates instead. Giles has seemed more volatile to me. 

Herrera signs with the White Sox.  Wonder if he or Colome will close or they will just have a closer by committee based on matchups?