bradwatson

2019 Offseason Closer Thread

I like Brasiers chances to close for Boston if Kimbrell doesn't re sign with them

Edited by Arrowflinger
  • Like 2

On 1/25/2019 at 3:19 PM, kidtwentytwo said:

It’s far from a lock, but he is a good bet.  Dan Altavilla May have the best stuff in the pen.  

Also think boxberger, greg Holland, and Sergio romo, cockroach back up somewhere.  KC & Detroit and prime candidates.   

Rotoworld is reporting that the Reds might not use Iglesias exclusively in the closers role, similarly to how the Brewers handled their bullpen last year. They list Michael Lorenzen and Jared Hughes as the possible candidates to vulture saves throughout the season.

Any reds fans have any idea who the pick up here is and who’s a decent reliever, even when they’re not getting saves? 

6 minutes ago, countseth said:

Rotoworld is reporting that the Reds might not use Iglesias exclusively in the closers role, similarly to how the Brewers handled their bullpen last year. They list Michael Lorenzen and Jared Hughes as the possible candidates to vulture saves throughout the season.

Any reds fans have any idea who the pick up here is and who’s a decent reliever, even when they’re not getting saves? 

Not a Reds fan, but they said this same thing last season.

Here is the full quote:

Mark Sheldon of MLB.com reports the Reds might not use ace reliever Raisel Iglesias as their everyday closer this season.

He points out that new Reds pitching coach Derek Johnson (who served in the same capacity for the Brewers last year) prefers to use his best reliever in a swing-type, high-leverage role. Josh Hader was the best reliever on the Brewers and he was used in multi-inning stints when the game was on the line rather than being saved for the ninth inning. Iglesias has a recent history of being a starter and has been used to get more than three outs on numerous occasions by the Reds over the past two years. Such a change to Iglesias' role would obviously result in fewer saves but more strikeouts and a larger impact on his fantasy teams' ERA and WHIP. Jared Hughes and Michael Lorenzen would be the favorites to close games if Iglesias doesn't handle the ninth inning.

Source: MLB.com                                         Feb 9 - 3:53 PM

So g;ad Yahoo added Saves+Holds some years ago.  A single closer on a team is a specialty that is getting smaller and smaller each year.

Ya, still some situations that are fluid,  FAs to sign,  but we're looking at maybe half-ish of MLB in some version of a committee for Saves right now.  And a few of the solo job guys not being particularly exciting,  other than the role itself.  I can't really knock the punt sv 5x5 h2h guy now,  going to be a frustrating chase this season. 

Seattle is looking like it could be a frustrating situation:

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/mariners/mariners-spring-training-2019-five-storylines-to-watch-for-when-players-report-to-peoria-ariz/?utm_content=bufferc47c9&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

“There may not be a set closer on a particular night. We might have our hottest reliever come in the game in the eighth inning. … It will frustrate some people, but there’s a method to the madness. Some nights it’ll work, some nights it may not, but that’ll be the approach going in.”

Strickland looks like the obvious guy but these comments are worrying.

Typically one guy runs with the job in these situations, outside of maybe the Rays who are progressive to the extreme. I understand the concern based on those comments, but if Strickland is consistently getting the job done in the 9th and looking good while doing it, I'd bet he gets the vast majority of the save chances.

The same logic can apply around the league. There may still end up being a handful of committee's from teams like the Rays and Phillies and a few others where nobody really establishes themselves, but I think the majority of these will sort themselves out where one guy runs away with the job.

5 hours ago, TrueToTheBlue said:

Typically one guy runs with the job in these situations, outside of maybe the Rays who are progressive to the extreme. I understand the concern based on those comments, but if Strickland is consistently getting the job done in the 9th and looking good while doing it, I'd bet he gets the vast majority of the save chances.

The same logic can apply around the league. There may still end up being a handful of committee's from teams like the Rays and Phillies and a few others where nobody really establishes themselves, but I think the majority of these will sort themselves out where one guy runs away with the job.

Ive said basically this for years... but I'm not so sure anymore.  Leverage pens looks to be the new closer,  and trends usually go fast in this league.  

• Like 1

I like both Strickland and Swarzak as gambles on Seattle---would be happy with whoever comes cheaper, I don't think there's a lot of reason to think either is more likely to get the gig in the end.  Or be a better pitcher in 2019.

If he’s healthy, I think Dan Altavilla has the stuff to be a closer.  

Colome and Herrera have experience as closers, but the Sox are talking more about Colome, who cost them a good-hitting catcher in Omar Narvaez in a trade with the Mariners. Colome had 37 and 46 saves for the Rays in 2016 and 2017. He has a combined 2.78 ERA and has averaged 9.5 strikeouts and 2.8 walks per nine innings in his last three seasons.

Herrera, who was signed as a free agent for two years at $18 million, might not be ready Opening Day as he recovers from a torn Lisfranc ligament in his left foot suffered in late August. But he is a proven commodity who figures to work as a late-inning setup man.

‘‘We acquired two quality, real good-looking pitchers,’’ pitching coach Don Cooper said. ‘‘If they’re throwing the same way they were when we saw them, we’ve taken care of two innings and making the game shorter.’’

The additions of Colome and Herrera gave manager Rick Renteria cause to claim an 80-victory season is within reach.

Source: https://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/searching-for-answers-from-white-sox-pitching-staff

Probably has to be considered the leader for closer at this point.

17 hours ago, Sidearmer said:

Probably has to be considered the leader for closer at this point.

No love for Steickenrider? I feel it's his job to lose. And in my opinion I think he ends up closing for them this year and gets 30 saves. Underrated guy. 

9 minutes ago, Ry34No said:

No love for Steickenrider? I feel it's his job to lose. And in my opinion I think he ends up closing for them this year and gets 30 saves. Underrated guy. 

Will the marlins even win 30 games?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Ry34No said:

I don’t think any Marlins reliever ends up with more than 20 saves this year. None of those guys are all that exciting. Factor in that save chances are going to be hard to come by on the worst team in baseball with the possibility that if any of them are pitching well, they’re going to be trade bait, I’m not interested.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ry34No said:

Personally I like Steckenrider better but I'd assume Romo will be the closer to boost his trade value. They signed him to a major league deal, they clearly think he has value.

Keep in mind that Romo did "open" 5 games, so in formats where 5 starts garner SP elig, his value, even on the Marlins, has to be higher than other formats that require more "opens" or starts.

4 hours ago, kidtwentytwo said:

Will the marlins even win 30 games?

Yeah I think they can manage that many barely and since they won't be clobbering the ball and running away with games then the closer should be in line for all of those 30 saves.

Yost said today he will not be naming a closer, it will go by leverage situations

3 hours ago, azeri98 said:

Yost said today he will not be naming a closer, it will go by leverage situations

I think at this point the spring training line of “we’re not going to name our closer” is the coach-speak version of “best shape of my life.”

• Like 1

Decided to go down the list. There's a few more questionable situations than I initially thought.

Yankees - Chapman

Red Sox - Barnes - Have to imagine Barnes is the guy if Kimbrel doesn't re-sign. He was pretty solid last season.

Blue Jays - Giles

Rays - Alvarado

Orioles - Givens

Astros - Osuna

Mariners - Strickland

Rangers - Leclerc

Angels - Allen

Athletics - Treinen

Indians - Hand

Tigers - Greene

White Sox - Colome

Royals - Peralta/Boxberger - Apparently Yost isn't naming a closer. That's always fun <_<

Twins - May/Rogers - I would assume May, but who really knows here.

Phillies - Dominguez/Neris - Seranthony showed so much promise last season then kinda fell apart as the season went on. Gotta think he's given the first chance this season.

Mets - Diaz

Nationals - Doolittle

Braves - Vizcaino

Marlins - Romo

Dodgers - Jansen

Rockies - Davis

Diamondbacks - Bradley/Holland/Hirano - Holland was laughable with the Cards but elite when pitching for the Nats last season. They like Bradley as their multiple inning guy. Holland might get the first crack here.

Padres - Yates

Giants - Smith

Cubs - Morrow/Strop - Morrow was treated like a baby last year. Strop had a career year. Most will be drafting Morrow, but I think I'd rather take Strop here.

Reds - Iglesias

Pirates - Vazquez

Brewers - Knebel/Jeffress/Hader - Jeffress was so good last season. Seems like they prefer Knebel in the 9th though. Hader will do Hader things and kill everybody from the 8th on whenever he's used.

Cardinals - Hicks/Miller - I could see Miller creep back into the 9th if he shows he's still got it, especially with Hicks' inexperience.

Edited by street sharks
  • Like 5

4 minutes ago, street sharks said:

Decided to go down the list. There's a few more questionable situations than I initially thought.

Yankees - Chapman

Red Sox - Barnes ?

Blue Jays - Giles

Rays - Alvarado

Orioles - Givens

Astros - Osuna

Mariners - Strickland ?

Rangers - Leclerc

Angels - Allen

Athletics - Treinen

Indians - Hand

Tigers - Greene