EmbargoLifted

2019 First Rounders Discussion

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

 

If you could tell me who this year''s snell is, that would be great :wub:  Nola was about the 18th or so starting pitcher off the board, I feel like there was enough buzz amongst smarter owners that he went earlier often. Feel like he went around pick 60. That was still a very profitable pick, but he had to fall to you properly in snake, and you still had to spend an important pick on him. 

 

Snell was one of many guys in a tier of sleepers I was targeting that I didnt end up with. If you were higher on him than your pitching sleepers, Bravo, but if they were one of 4-6 guys, I'm guessing you could have easily had one of the others and it not work out as well. Clevinger was certainly another one of those guys, but so were Fulmer, Sean Manea, Giolito, Jordan Montgomery, etc. I know some of those guys hit, but in my leagues they all get drafted and its hard to get the right one and the differences are humungous.

 

It's just of my personal opinion in deeper leagues, the hitters bunch up together for a while and its easier to mix and match as the season goes along, at least with 1 infield position. Like had you waited and got Asdrubal for late and got his solid first half and picked up Villar for the second half, you had a very productive SS.  Another thing is that a lot of people have a good option at infield positions that they arent fishing, so you have less competition for pickups. Everyone is always looking to improve pitching. Its rare that a team has too many good reliable pitchers.

 

agree to disagree.  if im at pic 10 i dont think im taking chris sale.  if someone else wants to i wouldnt fault them at all.

 

how are you feeling about altuve?  i dont know how anyone has him in the first.  i think whit merrifield is close to or just as good as altuve going into next year

Edited by jfazz23

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

TrEy TuRnEr Is A tOp 3 pLaYeR

 

 

But seriously... who is snagging this kid? I think some people will sleep on him. 19HR, 43SB, .760OPS... Could def see him going 20/40 again with a .290 avg.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, BlueJaysIn2030 said:

TrEy TuRnEr Is A tOp 3 pLaYeR

 

 

But seriously... who is snagging this kid? I think some people will sleep on him. 19HR, 43SB, .760OPS... Could def see him going 20/40 again with a .290 avg.

 

i know people will disagree but i prob wont be owning him in the first round (especially OBP league) this year.  i think hes very valuable but i think hes more of a 2nd rounder.  this is someone id be willing to take scherzer and/or sale over in the first

 

i think Merrfield is a similar player to him and u can prob snag him in the 3rd?? (when do you guys think whit goes?)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, jfazz23 said:

 

agree to disagree.  if im at pic 10 i dont think im taking chris sale.  if someone else wants to i wouldnt fault them at all.

 

how are you feeling about altuve?  i dont know how anyone has him in the first.  i think whit merrifield is close to or just as good as altuve going into next year

 

I'll take the 28 year old on the HOF track. He increased his walk rate slightly, still Ks less than Whit and is on a bunch better team in a better park.  Whit had over 700 PAs. If he gets those 40 SB again with a solid average, he might have a better season again, but I dont think I want to throw away Altuve's floor and consistency.  Thats my take right now. I do think if Whit is going in round 3 or later, he could prove to be the much better value if Altuve is going almost 2 rounds before him.

Edited by brockpapersizer
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

 

I'll take the 28 year old on the HOF track. He increased his walk rate slightly, still Ks less than Altuve is on a bunch better team in a better park.  Whit had over 700 PAs. If he gets those 40 SB again with a solid average, he might have a better season again, but I dont think I want to throw away Altuve's floor and consistency.  Thats my take right now. I do thin if Whit is going in round 3 or later, he could prove to be the much better value if Altuve is going almost 2 rounds before him.

hell be 29 next season with a questionable knee.  im just not banking on the 30 SB or the 24 hr.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jfazz23 said:

hell be 29 next season with a questionable knee.  im just not banking on the 30 SB or the 24 hr.

 

That's fair. Is this the decline or is it a 1 year buying opportunity and he can put up his usual Altuve numbers for a few more years. I lean the latter, but certainly think there is risk. That being said, he's not going #2 overall this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/8/2018 at 6:57 PM, Slatykamora said:

Bregman has similar BA, SB and RBI projections to Machado. Bregman batted all over the LU in 2017, where in 2018 he has become a dedicated top/heart of the order hitter.

 

Machado has a bit higher HR projection(better HR/FB), while bregman has a bit higher R projection(Higher OBP)

 

To me, Machado goes before Bregman mostly due to track record...but Bregman shouldnt fall really any further than him as i see them with similar fantasy profiles.

 

Machados landing spot will dictate what little gap between them. If any if it ends less than ideal for fantasy.

 

Fair assessment, or no?

I think it depends on where Machado lands, if he lands in a hitters park like Philly then yes he's ahead of Bregman, if he goes to a pitchers park I think it's debatable

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, BlueJaysIn2030 said:

TrEy TuRnEr Is A tOp 3 pLaYeR

 

 

But seriously... who is snagging this kid? I think some people will sleep on him. 19HR, 43SB, .760OPS... Could def see him going 20/40 again with a .290 avg.

We have about 6 guys who fit into the double digit HR, 30+ SB group after the big 3(Trout, Betts, JoRam)

 

Turner, Altuve, Marte, Merrifeld, Villar, Mondesi.

 

The first 4 in that group can hit at least 270. I think its ideal to grab at least one, but a high floor guys like Beninteni or Yelich are viable alternatives too. So you dont need to reach for turner like last year to get that skill set imo.

 

Mondesi/Villar being the higher risk plays laters

 

I also think last year was lucky that guys like villar/mondesi were WW. I wouldnt count on that next year IMO.

Edited by Slatykamora
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whit Merrifield is a full year older than Altuve.  I get the knee issues being a ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Slatykamora said:

Whit Merrifield is a full year older than Altuve.  I get the knee issues being a ?

 

less mileage tho and the knee is a concern as mentioned

 

 

3 hours ago, Slatykamora said:

We have about 6 guys who fit into the double digit HR, 30+ SB group after the big 3(Trout, Betts, JoRam)

 

Turner, Altuve, Marte, Merrifeld, Villar, Mondesi.

 

The first 4 in that group can hit at least 270. I think its ideal to grab at least one, but a high floor guys like Beninteni or Yelich are viable alternatives too. So you dont need to reach for turner like last year to get that skill set imo.

 

Mondesi/Villar being the higher risk plays laters

 

I also think last year was lucky that guys like villar/mondesi were WW. I wouldnt count on that next year IMO.

 

i also like mallex smith and tommy pham in tampa.  think pham has 30/20 potential in tampa and mallex smith can swipe 40 with a respectable average just not the power

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kidtwentytwo said:

 

Acuna feels like a “look at me” pick, but when you consider he went .293/26 HR/16 SB as a 20 year-old, I don’t HATE it. If you want a guy and know he won’t be there at next pick, grab him. 

I also think Scherzer and Baez are too high. But overall can’t complain too much here. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kidtwentytwo said:

 

 

arenado at 13????

baez ahead of bregman and machado?

yelich at 10?

acuna at 3???

 

altuve ahead of all of those guys?

 

 

im  not in love

Edited by jfazz23

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Acuna feels like a “look at me” pick, but when you consider he went .293/26 HR/16 SB as a 20 year-old, I don’t HATE it. If you want a guy and know he won’t be there at next pick, grab him. 

Yea I agree. That where he should be in a start up dynasty league. In re drafts -ugh I love the talent (duh) and I'm not saying it couldn't work out but boy you're not giving your self much room for error I think there are higher floor options available at 3 overall. Like Ramirez. 

Edited by DidiFan
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1st rd pick in baseball NEVER wins you the league (guy ended up with Mookie and max and finished dead last.)

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, kidtwentytwo said:

 

 

The NFBC is super high stakes and the best roto players in the world. I'm happy to say that their first round looks pretty similar to the one i posted in the OP. I think Acuna is a massive reach at #3 though. Kind of reminds me of how people were reaching for Correa in the 1st round back in 2016. Sample size is way too small on his performance at this point. 

 

 

 

Edited by EmbargoLifted
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

anyone got a link to the rest of the draft?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, EmbargoLifted said:

 

The NFBC is super high stakes and the best roto players in the world. I'm happy to say that their first round looks pretty similar to the one i posted in the OP. I think Acuna is a massive reach at #3 though. Kind of reminds me of how people were reaching for Correa in the 1st round back in 2016. Sample size is way too small on his performance at this point. 

 

 

 

First round is not difficult, very straight forward for the most part.  It's what you do in later rounds that matter most.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some surprises for me;

Acuna 3 - He's got the talent and he's young and can improve.  Always worried about a sophomore slump.

 

Mondessi 28 - A bit of a surprise, but only 23 and can keep improving.  Lack of BB a bit of a concern.

 

Soto 30 - Kids keep going in early rounds.  I think he keeps it up, great eye, look at BB rate.

 

Marquez 58 - Wow, a lot higher than I would have guessed.  A Colorado pitcher in the 4th round?  Great K rate, keeps walks in check and nice GB rate.  

 

Dahl 65 - He's still young and has always been thought of highly.  Health is the big concern, but finished the season on fire.  Big home/road splits this year.

 

Mikolas 71 - Love what he did this year, but a lack of K's makes him being selected this high a bit of a surprise.

 

R. Hill 81 - Will be 39 next year and has never thrown more than 135 IP.

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, EmbargoLifted said:

 

The NFBC is super high stakes and the best roto players in the world. I'm happy to say that their first round looks pretty similar to the one i posted in the OP. I think Acuna is a massive reach at #3 though. Kind of reminds me of how people were reaching for Correa in the 1st round back in 2016. Sample size is way too small on his performance at this point. 

 

 

 

 

Very surprised to see the best roto players in the world make Adalberto Mondesi the 28th pick overall. The high ceiling is there, but the low floor is there, too. You know, there's a mall in Montreal that is something like seven stories below ground. I've been there, and it's pretty cool. The bottom floor of that mall? That's where Mondesi's floor is. And I say that as a fan and owner of Mondesi. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

 

Very surprised to see the best roto players in the world make Adalberto Mondesi the 28th pick overall. The high ceiling is there, but the low floor is there, too. You know, there's a mall in Montreal that is something like seven stories below ground. I've been there, and it's pretty cool. The bottom floor of that mall? That's where Mondesi's floor is. And I say that as a fan and owner of Mondesi. 

The guy who took Acuna in the 1st, is the one who Mondesi in the 2nd and Marquez in the 4th..

 

Just throwing that out there.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Acuna feels like a “look at me” pick, but when you consider he went .293/26 HR/16 SB as a 20 year-old, I don’t HATE it. If you want a guy and know he won’t be there at next pick, grab him. 

I also think Scherzer and Baez are too high. But overall can’t complain too much here. 

 

Yeah I'm giving you 0 credibility if you're drafting Acuna #3 ... I'd have more respect (still very little) for you reached for Soto or Vlad at #1.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Flyman75 said:

 

Very surprised to see the best roto players in the world make Adalberto Mondesi the 28th pick overall. The high ceiling is there, but the low floor is there, too. You know, there's a mall in Montreal that is something like seven stories below ground. I've been there, and it's pretty cool. The bottom floor of that mall? That's where Mondesi's floor is. And I say that as a fan and owner of Mondesi. 

 

Yeah okay so this guy is just trying to be talked about... Let's just call him a non credible source and not give him the satisfaction about talking about his d

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.