DidiFan

Elfrid Payton 2018-2019 Season Outlook

Back home in New Orleans. Good pace of play with the Pelicans too. Any interest in this guy or are the percentages too ghastly? 

I think his minutes suffer because of those percentages. He's not a good shooter so I don't expect to see him in many crunch time lineups over Jrue and E'Twaun. His value should be determined by what folks think he can get done per minute, but I'm excited to see how he might shake out with these guys.

Edited by MrJuiceBar

He's a terrible player.  Think in the first couple of preseason games he is already under-performing.  Can't shoot, can't play D, can't manage a game.  Pelicans' were desperate when Rondo left to find a PG, and should still be looking.  I can imagine Holiday taking most of the crunch time ball handling responsibilities.  

His hair is no longer in his eyes so maybe his shot improves a bit, New Orleans also played at the fastest pace last year.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, turner46 said:

His hair is no longer in his eyes so maybe his shot improves a bit, New Orleans also played at the fastest pace last year.

Haha I've always thought to myself when I saw him play a few times - like how the hell does he play with that crazy hair flopping around. I know he's been awful but the appeal is that he's basically free right now could be a decent source of assists and some steals for your last pick or a $1 in auction. If he sucks you cut and move on. Low risk at the very least. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DidiFan said:

Haha I've always thought to myself when I saw him play a few times - like how the hell does he play with that crazy hair flopping around. I know he's been awful but the appeal is that he's basically free right now could be a decent source of assists and some steals for your last pick or a $1 in auction. If he sucks you cut and move on. Low risk at the very least. 

With his vision no longer obstructed, his teammates being much better, his coaching staff being much better and his team playing at a faster pace I'm buying. Like you said if he doesn't pan out no big deal but if it does he could turn a huge profit.

• Like 1

Seemed to have great chemistry with the team in this first game and definitely helps that he's now playing with a bunch of solid scorers. I think he'll do just fine this year. Percentages will probably still be bad, but he seems quick to make the smart pass before he decides to shoot. Here's hoping the first game is a good indicator!

Great for trip dubs but his %s aren’t the best ... still should be added / watched thouhh to see how he keeps doing 

Pelicans play one of the fastest pace style in the league , fast pace usually generate lots of assts and rebs, and i hope payton can keep this up getting us a lot of out of position rebs while maintain 7-9 assts per game. As for his FG and scoring, i don't think people draft him to score and he usually have good FG due to he only takes shots close to the rim.

• Like 2

So you think this guy will have more value this year than Sabonis & Fox? (if you look at their rank at the end of the season - 9 cat)

Edited by Brandayz

Picked him up late on our draft and still got s--- for it. Nobody believed in the kid, but I had him in my team for 4 seasons (not all the time, but giving him chances). And now he has arrived. Elf will deliver all season long as Pelicans are going to be one of the powerhouses in this league. They have absolutely nobody there to challenge him and the stats will be plenty to go around.

Enjoy the ride boys. Its going to be GLORIOUS!!!

• Like 2

I've always loved this little f---er. First year in ages that I'm not an owner

Enjoy the short haired ride, fellas

• Like 3

5 hours ago, paulwall29 said:

People laughed at me for pulling this dude in the 8th round. PG's on offenses like this are valuable.

You sure showed them!

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Quazza said:

I've always loved this little f---er. First year in ages that I'm not an owner

Enjoy the short haired ride, fellas

Same here. Just swapped him with Sabonis (who I think will get minutes depending on how "hot" Turner is). Rozier and Gay still on my radar is this is a fluke. But like the match with the Pelicans

This guy is an absolute steal in the 8th or 9th round for points leagues. Pick him up or trade for him while you can. 

In this offense, provided he remains healthy, he is going to equate to a poor mans Ben Simmons. An excellent volume play. There... I said it. 

10 hours ago, Brandayz said:

Same here. Just swapped him with Sabonis (who I think will get minutes depending on how "hot" Turner is). Rozier and Gay still on my radar is this is a fluke. But like the match with the Pelicans

This isn't a fluke. He won't be as good as he was last night, obviously, but the Pelicans are going to play fast and they are going to have a short rotation because they have no bench talent. He is plenty useful in all formats as long as you build around him accordingly. His FT% is not on a ton of volume. His FG% will not be great this year because he will shoot 3's, but you own him for assists, boards, and steals. 

The hair won't block his vision everytime he makes a move now. Sad but it had to be done. It was hard to recognize him on the court without it.

Mah boi... Working on that back-to-back OH SO SWEET triple double. Keep 'em cummin'!