Flyman75

Need to cut roster to 12 by Nov 1

Recommended Posts

14-team, 5x5, keeper league. There are no contracts and no rounds attached to keepers, and players can be kept for up to 5 years. 

 

We have to pare down our rosters to 12 players by Nov 1, and then we'll cut to 7 keepers in the spring. We start C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, Ci, MI, 4 OF, UT, 8 P. 

 

Which 12 would you pick out of this bunch...

 

Offense

C Willson Contreras (contract thru 2021)

C Danny Jansen (2022)

1B Justin Smoak (2022)

2B Yoan Moncada (2020)

2B Joey Wendle (2022)

3B JoRam (2020)

3B Mike Moustakas (2022)

3B Johan Camargo (2022)

3B/OF Wil Myers (2020)

SS Jean Segura (2020)

SS Fernando Tatis (2022)

OF Tommy Pham (2021)

OF Hunter Renfroe (2022)

OF Teoscar Hernandez (2022)

OF Kyle Tucker (2022)

OF Roman Quinn (2022)

 

Pitchers

SP German Marquez (2022)

SP Lance McCullers (2022)

No other pitchers are worth consideration. My pitchers were awful and the bane of my fantasy season in this league. I had never played in a 14-team league, and I underestimated the dearth of pitching. 

 

Which 12 would you cut down to...and why, please? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

Any thoughts?

Before / Instead of just listing some 1st cut guys for you in a keeper league, you need to give  more info. 

 

1) Do you plan on being a contender or Not?  

2) What's the plan for the pitching ? Just a general idea? 

3) Just list any idea or plan you may use to help us narrow down the list. Or list guys u really want or something. I really don't wanna just eliminate 6 guys and explain it when I have no idea what your doing or planning

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, zstlj said:

Before / Instead of just listing some 1st cut guys for you in a keeper league, you need to give  more info. 

 

1) Do you plan on being a contender or Not?  

2) What's the plan for the pitching ? Just a general idea? 

3) Just list any idea or plan you may use to help us narrow down the list. Or list guys u really want or something. I really don't wanna just eliminate 6 guys and explain it when I have no idea what your doing or planning

 

FIrst, I forgot to mention that this is a weekly league, rather than the daily leagues I'm used to. 

 

Good questions, and I appreciate the thoughtfulness. I am definitely going to try to contend next year. Here is my dilemma...this was the first time I had ever played in a 14-team league and the first keeper league I've played in that allows you to keep players for five years (and I've never done dynasty). And I've done weekly leagues before, but I much prefer dailies, so it was an adjustment. 

 

I sorely underrated the need for strong pitching in this league. As a result, I felt like I was playing from behind all season long, and my pitching killed me. I thought I'd be able to pick up closers via waivers and flip them, but most guys wanted no more than two closers because it's a weekly league with no IP cap. I'd like to make Marquez and McCullers part of my 12. When I have to cut down to 7 keepers in the spring, I might even want to keep both then, even though I understand I can't count on any more than 125 innings from McCullers. So with 8 pitchers, I will probably try to draft two closers and go SPs for the other six...or maybe 5 SP and an elite MR. 

 

Offensively, in any 5x5 roto I play in, I'm always trying to strike a balance between HR and SB. I try to collect as many HR-SB guys I can. Usually BA takes a back seat for me, but I don't dismiss it altogether (won BA in my other roto league, for instance, along with HR, RBI, R :) ). This means Myers and Pham are very possible keeper candidates because they offer both (and Pham had a great Sept...gives more hope for 2019). If I don't keep a guy like Tatis in this league, he will go very early in the draft because he could be kept through 2023. 

 

Pitching, there probably won't be any big names available, but I'll have to take a look and see which top-flight SPs will be available. My typical SP strategy in roto leagues is to forget the top tier and load up on SP2-3 types and combine them with elite MRs. But in a weekly league, I don't think that's advisable because I can't swap out SPs every day like I can in a daily league. So I'm going to have to rethink my SP strategy based on who I find available in the draft. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/9/2018 at 6:13 AM, Flyman75 said:

No thoughts? 

Im going through Numbers right now - so how does the draft and acquisition work.  Lets take a guy like Tucker or Tatis, if you toss them back and re-draft them, do you get them for another year?

 

What is your position eligibility - how many games?  Just curious how some of these guys might fit.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1.  Keep Contreras and put back Jansen.  Take the proven guy who is guaranteed to play

2.  Moncada - Too early to give up on the upside

3.  JoRam - Nothing to say here

4.  Wil Myers - Solid contributor in most categories

5.  Segura - Easy 

6.  Tatis - Upside play, hopefully he can make camp out of spring

7.  Pham - Easy 20/20, rejuvenated in Tampa

8.  Renfroe - Power upside, most likely cut at next round tho.  Unless guaranteed starting spot

9.  Tucker - Upside play again.  See Tatis

10.  Moustakas I guess.  Will be cut next round anyway

11.  McCullers - Need some SP help

12.  Marquez - Same as above

 

 

These are not in order of preference.  The final 7 IMO are Contreras, JoRam, Myers, Pham, Segura, Marquez.  7th between Tatis, Tucker and Moncada

Edited by TheTruth024

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/17/2018 at 11:16 AM, parrothead said:

Im going through Numbers right now - so how does the draft and acquisition work.  Lets take a guy like Tucker or Tatis, if you toss them back and re-draft them, do you get them for another year?

 

What is your position eligibility - how many games?  Just curious how some of these guys might fit.  

 

Anyone tossed back has their contract status start over. So if I toss back Tatis and redraft him, I'd have his rights through 2023. He'll get drafted pretty quickly, though, because of the ability to have him for the next five years. 

 

Positional eligibility is 20 games. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would keep both pitchers - you need some P, so then 10...I have 11 names in bold, two with italics are the borderline No.10 for me.  Not sure you are built to win in 2019, so I kind of kept an eye to the future and keps Tucker Quinn Teoscar Moncada, etc.  Basically the two guys I let go were guys whose skill set is the easiest to find right now, low avg power hitters who dont steal bases - Moustakas and Renfroe. 

 

Offense

C Willson Contreras (contract thru 2021)

C Danny Jansen (2022)

1B Justin Smoak (2022)

2B Yoan Moncada (2020)

2B Joey Wendle (2022)

3B JoRam (2020)

3B Mike Moustakas (2022)

3B Johan Camargo (2022)

3B/OF Wil Myers (2020)

SS Jean Segura (2020)

SS Fernando Tatis (2022)

OF Tommy Pham (2021)

OF Hunter Renfroe (2022)

OF Teoscar Hernandez (2022)

OF Kyle Tucker (2022)

OF Roman Quinn (2022)

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, parrothead said:

I would keep both pitchers - you need some P, so then 10...I have 11 names in bold, two with italics are the borderline No.10 for me.  Not sure you are built to win in 2019, so I kind of kept an eye to the future and keps Tucker Quinn Teoscar Moncada, etc.  Basically the two guys I let go were guys whose skill set is the easiest to find right now, low avg power hitters who dont steal bases - Moustakas and Renfroe. 

 

Offense

C Willson Contreras (contract thru 2021)

C Danny Jansen (2022)

1B Justin Smoak (2022)

2B Yoan Moncada (2020)

2B Joey Wendle (2022)

3B JoRam (2020)

3B Mike Moustakas (2022)

3B Johan Camargo (2022)

3B/OF Wil Myers (2020)

SS Jean Segura (2020)

SS Fernando Tatis (2022)

OF Tommy Pham (2021)

OF Hunter Renfroe (2022)

OF Teoscar Hernandez (2022)

OF Kyle Tucker (2022)

OF Roman Quinn (2022)

 

 

 

Interesting choice of Quinn. Do you think he starts next year? I see Herrera, Williams, Hoskins, and Altherr. 

 

I probably don't have much of a chance of really competing next year, but with 7 keepers and starting 22, the right keepers and a strong draft would help tremendously to at least get me in the top third of the league. I'm going to have to have a strong pitching draft. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

 

Interesting choice of Quinn. Do you think he starts next year? I see Herrera, Williams, Hoskins, and Altherr. 

 

I probably don't have much of a chance of really competing next year, but with 7 keepers and starting 22, the right keepers and a strong draft would help tremendously to at least get me in the top third of the league. I'm going to have to have a strong pitching draft. 

Originally it was Moustakas or Renfroe and not Quinn...its a bit of a shot in the dark might be better to just go Moose at this point, since you have to make the call by Nov 1, who knows Philly might make a run at Harper.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.