markus85

Javale McGee 2018-2019 Season Outlook

The dude only needs 20 MPG to do damage, but then again the two preseason games were against the fast paced Nuggets. He might be a better last round C flier than say, Cody Zeller or Mitchell Robinson.

Strictly for teams seeking a FG%/BLK boost in the final round.  Could be limited to 12-15 mpg some nights against teams who go small and the Lakers roll with Beasley/Bron/Kuzma at the 5.  18-22 mpg seems likely against traditional centers.

has anything been written about kuzma playing the 5? We've heard about Lebron, but i have not heard of him or beasley. Don't think that would end well. 

Got him 128th so no big deal if he flops cause he can easily be dropped, However...  I was shocked to see he was the 12th, yes 12TH overall player per 36 minutes last year in 8 cat leagues. The year before that, 29th. So he really can do some damage if they just play him 20 minutes, which looks like they will. Although Luke Walton is the worst coach in the league, so you just never know. Look what he did to last year's starting center, Brook Lopez...

Also, He has some good dishers on this team like LeBron, Rondo and Lonzo to set him up for easy baskets, let alone his rebounding and shot blocking ability. 

Edited by magic32

7 hours ago, magic32 said:

Got him 128th so no big deal if he flops cause he can easily be dropped, However...  I was shocked to see he was the 12th, yes 12TH overall player per 36 minutes last year in 8 cat leagues. The year before that, 29th. So he really can do some damage if they just play him 20 minutes, which looks like they will. Although Luke Walton is the worst coach in the league, so you just never know. Look what he did to last year's starting center, Brook Lopez...

Also, He has some good dishers on this team like LeBron, Rondo and Lonzo to set him up for easy baskets, let alone his rebounding and shot blocking ability. 

It's this hope that's keeping me from dropping him for somebody else on the wire that might fit my build a little better.  

This may sound like a joke, but in Lakers circles, it is thought that the season might end up hinging on McGee's availability.  Basically, the Lakers need him so much because of the lack of depth at that position, that any minutes he can handle are his.  As a Lakers fan, I hope / dream he can reach 30 mpg.  I understand the asthma issues.  I know he has never done anything like that before.

Zubac has looked terrible and Kuzma looks over matched.  LeBron has yet to play center during the preseason, and I expect that to change.  Ideally LeBron gives about 8-10 minutes to the position and Kuzma gives 5-8.  These lineups appear to give the Lakers their best chance at winning games.  At the end of games is when you might be seeing LeBron playing the most minutes at center (depending on how the other team matches up). 

McGee was feasting off of all the Lakers playmakers during the preseason.  He made that offense click.  Plus, the Lakers have a lot of good out of position rebounders (great rebounding guards).  But what has been overlooked in this is that Brook Lopez last year helped the guards rebound with his positioning in blocking out other bigs.  Brook has never been known to be a good rebounder, but he did get plenty of assist-rebounds (if that is a thing).  Thus, I question just how good those guards are going to be at rebounding this season.

I would definitely snatch up McGee while you still can and hope he plays over 20 minutes per game.  I personally think he will end up averaging around 24 minutes per game.

Edited by QCJLo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, QCJLo said:

This may sound like a joke, but in Lakers circles, it is thought that the season might end up hinging on McGee's availability.  Basically, the Lakers need him so much because of the lack of depth at that position, that any minutes he can handle are his.  As a Lakers fan, I hope / dream he can reach 30 mpg.  I understand the asthma issues.  I know he has never done anything like that before.

Zubac has looked terrible and Kuzma looks over matched.  LeBron has yet to play center during the preseason, and I expect that to change.  Ideally LeBron gives about 8-10 minutes to the position and Kuzma gives 5-8.  These lineups appear to give the Lakers their best chance at winning games.  At the end of games is when you might be seeing LeBron playing the most minutes at center (depending on how the other team matches up). 

McGee was feasting off of all the Lakers playmakers during the preseason.  He made that offense click.  Plus, the Lakers have a lot of good out of position rebounders (great rebounding guards).  But what has been overlooked in this is that Brook Lopez last year helped the guards rebound with his positioning in blocking out other bigs.  Brook has never been known to be a good rebounder, but he did get plenty of assist-rebounds (if that is a thing).  Thus, I question just how good those guards are going to be at rebounding this season.

I would definitely snatch up McGee while you still can and hope he plays over 20 minutes per game.  I personally think he will end up averaging around 24 minutes per game.

Well I'm definitely not dropping after this!  I hope you are right.  24 minutes and I'll be ecstatic!

That sounds nice and all but you guys are forgetting who the coach of the Lakers is.  Luke Walton thinks he is coaching his old Warriors.  He has yet to realize that he doesn't have a fraction of that talent.  he single-handedly destroyed Brook Lopez's career. He barely gave any minutes to an all-star center capable of giving his team 20 points, blocking shots and hitting 3 pointers last year without any real center depth as well as not giving julius randle proper minutes. So why in the world would he give Javale all the minutes he can handle?

Edited by magic32
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, magic32 said:

That sounds nice and all but you guys are forgetting who the coach of the Lakers is.  Luke Walton thinks he is coaching his old Warriors.  He has yet to realize that he doesn't have a fraction of that talent.  he single-handedly destroyed Brook Lopez's career. He barely gave any minutes to an all-star center capable of giving his team 20 points, blocking shots and hitting 3 pointers last year without any real center depth as well as not giving julius randle proper minutes. So why in the world would he give Javale all the minutes he can handle?

Please stop spreading misinformation.  People might make rash decisions based on your biases.  It is very obvious that you were a Brook Lopez owner last year.

For those buying into the fact that the coach doesn't know what he is doing, let me set some things straight:

Last year was a year for the Lakers to test their youth.  One thing they had was a glut of big men.  With that said, Lopez averaged only 7 minutes less per game than he was averaging throughout his career.  The first half of the season, the Lakers were experimenting a lot with Larry Nance.  Some might even argue that they were driving the price up to eventually trade Nance.  Once Nance was traded, not all the minutes opened up since Channing Frye was still getting some playing time.  There was time spent with Zubac who had a great rookie season, but ended up disappointing in his sophomore year.  Of course there was Randle who was being heavily relied upon at center due to the emergence of Kyle Kuzma at PF and Ingram breaking out at SF.  So when Randle and Kuzma were on the floor (the Lakers youth), where would Lopez play?  It would have been foolish for Luke Walton to have not given the playing time to the youth who would be around next season once they get paired with LeBron James, who we all had a strong feeling was coming all year.

You ask, "Why in the world would he give JaVale all the minutes he can handle?"  Quite frankly because the Lakers are no longer in a youth movement.  With a mix of youth and veterans, they are officially in a win-now mode.  JaVale gives them the best shot to win-now at the center position.

12 minutes ago, QCJLo said:

Please stop spreading misinformation.  People might make rash decisions based on your biases.  It is very obvious that you were a Brook Lopez owner last year.

For those buying into the fact that the coach doesn't know what he is doing, let me set some things straight:

Last year was a year for the Lakers to test their youth.  One thing they had was a glut of big men.  With that said, Lopez averaged only 7 minutes less per game than he was averaging throughout his career.  The first half of the season, the Lakers were experimenting a lot with Larry Nance.  Some might even argue that they were driving the price up to eventually trade Nance.  Once Nance was traded, not all the minutes opened up since Channing Frye was still getting some playing time.  There was time spent with Zubac who had a great rookie season, but ended up disappointing in his sophomore year.  Of course there was Randle who was being heavily relied upon at center due to the emergence of Kyle Kuzma at PF and Ingram breaking out at SF.  So when Randle and Kuzma were on the floor (the Lakers youth), where would Lopez play?  It would have been foolish for Luke Walton to have not given the playing time to the youth who would be around next season once they get paired with LeBron James, who we all had a strong feeling was coming all year.

You ask, "Why in the world would he give JaVale all the minutes he can handle?"  Quite frankly because the Lakers are no longer in a youth movement.  With a mix of youth and veterans, they are officially in a win-now mode.  JaVale gives them the best shot to win-now at the center position.

Excuse me???  please tell me what I posted was misinformation. Everything I posted was fact.  there was absolutely zero consistency with Luke Walton and his lineups,  especially in the center spot. And for you to try to say that I'm posting misinformation and for you to pathetically attempt to put some logic into Walton's wildly inconsistent and illogical coaching last year shows you know absolutely nothing and youre nothing but an obvious laker homer who is trying to make excuses for the awful coach that you have. and if anyone's posting the misinformation it's you, so anyone who is reading be aware of his post.  there is no safer bet in the NBA than betting on inconsistency with Luke Walton's coaching, lineups and minutes for Javale.

Edited by magic32

2 hours ago, magic32 said:

Excuse me???  please tell me what I posted was misinformation. Everything I posted was fact.  there was absolutely zero consistency with Luke Walton and his lineups,  especially in the center spot. And for you to try to say that I'm posting misinformation and for you to pathetically attempt to put some logic into Walton's wildly inconsistent and illogical coaching last year shows you know absolutely nothing and youre nothing but an obvious laker homer who is trying to make excuses for the awful coach that you have. and if anyone's posting the misinformation it's you, so anyone who is reading be aware of his post.  there is no safer bet in the NBA than betting on inconsistency with Luke Walton's coaching, lineups and minutes for Javale.

Or...

Maybe I just watch all of their games instead of looking at my daily stats and arbitrarily blaming a coach because I reached on a player that ended up getting less time than I had anticipated?

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, QCJLo said:

Or...

Maybe I just watch all of their games instead of looking at my daily stats and arbitrarily blaming a coach because I reached on a player that ended up getting less time than I had anticipated?

Or...

you're a homer and high if you think what Walton did is excusable and should be a head coach in this league... congrats on having the worst coach in the league...

Edited by magic32

If he consistently gets 22+ minutes he is a must-own.

He's not getting 22mpg, his usage will depend on matchups. He was against Nurk tonight so they needed him, he will play 20+ against some teams and 10 against others.. 

He's not gonna get 20 minutes. This was matchup based. He has asthma and it's physically impossible for him to be on the court for that long consistently. I'd temper my expectations unless you're in a very deep league.

Loved what I saw tonight, but being in a roto league, I think I'm only going to start him when the other team has a big center and will be less prone for small ball.  I would love to see 22 mpg, but I don't see it happening.  Hopefully I'm wrong because those swats are niiiiiice.