crazybob60

Pascal Siakam 2018-2019 Season Outlook

Could be looking at an uptick of minutes especially with Ibaka struggling a tad and the possible move of Ibaka to the Center spot more.

Last year, he averaged a career-high 20.7 minutes, while adding 7.3 points, 4.5 rebounds and 2.0 assists across 81 games.  Yes, him playing in 81 games even surprised me.

I could possibly see 11/5/2 this season and maybe more if he continues to improve.

Thoughts on him this season?

I came into this season not knowing anything about him and he was an absolute after thought considering the number of bigs in Toronto. But the more news I read about the players raving about him and seeing replays of his game, I’m slowly becoming a believer. Might be a bit of a stretch to think he’s the breakout player of the year but he’s climbing up there. 

1 hour ago, crazybob60 said:

Could be looking at an uptick of minutes especially with Ibaka struggling a tad and the possible move of Ibaka to the Center spot more.

Last year, he averaged a career-high 20.7 minutes, while adding 7.3 points, 4.5 rebounds and 2.0 assists across 81 games.  Yes, him playing in 81 games even surprised me.

I could possibly see 11/5/2 this season and maybe more if he continues to improve.

Thoughts on him this season?

Uptick in minutes is an understatement and you're waaaaay too conservative on 11/5/2 and you are leaving out the defensive stats which is where his value lies ;)

Ibaka is toast and will be on the wrong side of a platoon with JV at center.  I don't see Ibaka and JV playing together in lineups much if at all.  Ergo, Siakam should get the lion's share of minutes at PF and put up beastly multi-category lines.  

49 minutes ago, El_Chingon said:

Uptick in minutes is an understatement and you're waaaaay too conservative on 11/5/2 and you are leaving out the defensive stats which is where his value lies ;)

Ibaka is toast and will be on the wrong side of a platoon with JV at center.  I don't see Ibaka and JV playing together in lineups much if at all.  Ergo, Siakam should get the lion's share of minutes at PF and put up beastly multi-category lines.  

waht about OG aununoby.  the guy can shoot

Kawhi is going to play 4, OG is going to play 4, Ibaka is going to play 4, CJ is going to play 4.

If you think anyone outside of Kawhi and Lowry is guaranteed min on this team I think you are nuts.  Who left that was eating his minutes before?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, HurricaneKid said:

Kawhi is going to play 4, OG is going to play 4, Ibaka is going to play 4, CJ is going to play 4.

If you think anyone outside of Kawhi and Lowry is guaranteed min on this team I think you are nuts.  Who left that was eating his minutes before?

This is exactly why I couldn’t commit to any of the bigs at Toronto. Using your final pick on Pascal wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world. 

7 minutes ago, HurricaneKid said:

Poeltl left so ibaka looks to play exclusively at center splitting time with JV.  Don't see OG or CJ playing a ton of PF minutes but I have been wrong before. 

5 minutes ago, El_Chingon said:

Poeltl left so ibaka looks to play exclusively at center splitting time with JV.  Don't see OG or CJ playing a ton of PF minutes but I have been wrong before. 

With the way so many teams play stretch 4s (or just sticking a SF at the 4 spot), I wouldn’t be surprised if this happens on a regular basis.

1 minute ago, tazdingo said:

With the way so many teams play stretch 4s (or just sticking a SF at the 4 spot), I wouldn’t be surprised if this happens on a regular basis.

Not disagreeing but Kawhi can't play all 48 minutes per game nor can OG.  Don't see siakam not getting minutes in the 24-28 range where he will do damage. 

6 hours ago, driss lol said:

the problem is Siakam can't shoot for his life.

But you won't get Siakam for his shooting. You will get him for other stats and stocks

5 hours ago, PAX said:

But you won't get Siakam for his shooting. You will get him for other stats and stocks

Exactly. Draymond was never meant to anchor your FG anyways and he’s only had one year where he shot like 49%. That’s normall good for guards but it’s not the ideal FG% you want out of your 4 spot.

On 10/6/2018 at 7:55 AM, driss lol said:

the problem is Siakam can't shoot for his life.

18 hours ago, PAX said:

13 hours ago, tazdingo said:

Exactly. Draymond was never meant to anchor your FG anyways and he’s only had one year where he shot like 49%. That’s normall good for guards but it’s not the ideal FG% you want out of your 4 spot.

Siakam has shot 50% his first two years (on minimal attempts), so he has some modest value there...at least it's not hurting.  His 3 point shot is getting better...its coming, just maybe not this year, but long term he could at least get to league average from 3.  

He passes the eye test, but on the stat sheet how is he different than a Aminu or Jerami Grant?

You may be right. We're going for upside with Siakam. Out of the players you mentioned, Siakam is the most likely to improve and have added to his game. Hoping for more opportunity (tough with such a deep roster, but PF spot has the least depth), improvement as a player, and better consistency.

I don't think he'll get enough usage to put up good volume on the offensive stats though (PTS, 3PT, AST)

If he gets enough minutes, maybe we could see 1/1/1 with 11/7/3 and hopefully better FT%. That would put him above Aminu.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, calebcjy said:

hes ballin with starters out

The last 2 words are the key words. It's gonna take some injuries in order for him to become consistent 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Dominator83 said:

The last 2 words are the key words. It's gonna take some injuries in order for him to become consistent 

Even if he got more minutes, no one would expect him to put up those numbers every night.  That would be top 15 value.

All this talk of Coach Nurse saying he will mix and match the starters is code for Siakam potentially starting. Bad for Ibaka, maybe bad for JV. Great for Pascal. Go Cameroon!

Note Siakam is shooting 3s, and hit 30% of them in his few starts last season. He just needs to shoot them enough to keep defenses honest. He has looked fantastic in the preseason, even with other bigs playing.

Nick Nurse has said on numerous occasions that he'll be mixing and matching the starting five based on the lineup, so both Serge Ibaka and JV could come off the bench at various points throughout the season. "It's actually better for all of us. He's [playing] the match-ups," said JV. "It's not like if you're not starting you're not going to get your minutes in... I'll make sure I hear my name. [Whether] I start or not, I'll make sure I hear my name."

Twitter: Nurse reiterated that his starting lineup/rotations may change game-to-game, even half-to-half throughout the regular season. Decisions will be based on match-ups and hot hand.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I just dont' see a path for 25 min per. Can anyone give a realistic projection?

Kinda interested in this guy in keeper leagues.

Would he be a better last bench spot than Bazemore, VanVleet or Jordan Bell in a points league?

Edited by C_Kap24

2 hours ago, chud12 said:

I just dont' see a path for 25 min per. Can anyone give a realistic projection?

Between playing the 4+5 you have 96 minutes between the two positions.  If you simply divide it by 4 (Ibaka, JV, OG, Siakam) you get 24 minutes each.  That's not to say the minutes will be divided equally, and there won't be different lineups with other players at the 4.  But Siakam is the most versatile, he can be a small ball center or a PG type of ball handler, he can guard pretty much any position.  I'm taking the over on 25 minutes/game.     

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1