Sign in to follow this  
Donqueefa

Jusuf Nurkic 2018-2019 Season Outlook

24 minutes ago, scienze said:

hes not guna get under 20 minutes LOL!

he was in foul trouble

relax 

your foul trouble excuse is simply wrong, dude.  You don't sit a guy for the rest of the game with foul trouble. you sit him out for a bit so that he doesn't collect more fouls so that he is available to you at the end of the game. How do you not understand that?  If he sat him out for the rest of the 3rd quarter, i would "relax" not for almost the entire second half. 

26 minutes ago, RipCity0 said:

When the backup plays so well why should you take him out of the game? After all it's Nurkic, not Lillard that will close the game no matter what.

because the starter was playing even better. 16 points (on 50% shooting/100% FT shooting) 9 rebounds (6 offensive!), 2 steals in 17 minutes???

Collins was great with blocks, but didn't do much else, and his defense is not superior to Nurkic. He also had even MORE fouls than Nurkic, yet Stotts NEVER took him out. If anything, he should have taken him out so he can have a breather. He almost played the entire 2nd half, he is definitely not used to that.

Maybe if the Lakers were only playing a smaller lineup, that can at least be his excuse, but what about when they put Javale back in the game?  It just makes no sense. 

11 minutes ago, magic32 said:

your foul trouble excuse is simply wrong, dude.  You don't sit a guy for the rest of the game with foul trouble. you sit him out for a bit so that he doesn't collect more fouls so that he is available to you at the end of the game. How do you not understand that?  If he sat him out for the rest of the 3rd quarter, i would "relax" not for almost the entire second half. 

all coaches are not identical. maybe the coach just let him keep sitting because the current lineup was doing well. I agree with you that he should have been brought back in much earlier but I guess Stotts was feeling Collins at the time who was playing great defense. I think most night Nurkic will play the 4th and play a bunch more mins. Main take home points imo are that he looked strong and energetic while he was out there, and that he put up a nice line in low mins not playing the 4th...gives you a glimpse of the upside can expect when he plays 25-30 min. 

Edited by richg24

48 minutes ago, magic32 said:

because the starter was playing even better. 16 points (on 50% shooting/100% FT shooting) 9 rebounds (6 offensive!), 2 steals in 17 minutes???

Collins was great with blocks, but didn't do much else, and his defense is not superior to Nurkic. He also had even MORE fouls than Nurkic, yet Stotts NEVER took him out. If anything, he should have taken him out so he can have a breather. He almost played the entire 2nd half, he is definitely not used to that.

Maybe if the Lakers were only playing a smaller lineup, that can at least be his excuse, but what about when they put Javale back in the game?  It just makes no sense. 

Nurkic +/-: -17 (the worst of all players)

Collins +/-: +24 (the best of all players)

Maybe that was the reason. The team was better with Collins on the court despite the huge stats of Nurkic in the first half.

Edited by SeaBobs
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, SeaBobs said:

Nurkic +/-: -17 (the worst of all players)

Collins +/-: +24 (the best of all players)

Maybe that was the reason. The team was better with Collins on the court despite the huge stats of Nurkic in the first half.

Lillard was -8, CJ was -9, Seth Curry was +18. He didn't do anything drastic with any of those guys so I doubt they are looking at those stats during the game.

Edited by magic32

1 hour ago, magic32 said:

youre missing the point lol

he was benched for foul trouble .. when zach collins got hot, coach rode zach ros and never put nurk back in. 

let’s talk in 2 weeks.. i can damn near guarantee nurk won’t have another sub 20 minute game that isn’t tied to foul trouble by then. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, scienze said:

youre missing the point lol

he was benched for foul trouble .. when zach collins got hot, coach rode zach ros and never put nurk back in. 

let’s talk in 2 weeks.. i can damn near guarantee nurk won’t have another sub 20 minute game that isn’t tied to foul trouble by then. 

I realize he was benched for foul trouble, that's obvious. But the real point is that there is no excuse to let him sit on the bench for almost the entire 2nd half.  And I am sure he will have more games like this where he gets low minutes regardless if he's in foul trouble or not. Just look at last year. This is what Stotts does with Nurk. he doesn't fully trust him. Which is why i don't get why they signed Nurk to a 4 year extension. 

Just now, magic32 said:

I realize he was benched for foul trouble, that's obvious. But the real point is that there is no excuse to let him sit on the bench for almost the entire 2nd half.  And I am sure he will have more games like this where he gets low minutes regardless if he's in foul trouble or not. Just look at last year. This is what Stotts does with Nurk. he doesn't fully trust him. Which is why i don't get why they signed Nurk to a 4 year extension. 

still not worried in the least 

Sometimes you have to look at the game outside of fantasy. Besides the fact that this is just one game and that Nurkic was in foul trouble which reduced his minutes it is also about matchups. Lakers were going small with Kuz at the 5 which is not a good match up for Nurkic. It’s really that simple. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, magic32 said:

But the real point is that there is no excuse to let him sit on the bench for almost the entire 2nd half. 

Except that there was: Collins was playing extremely well.  

I watched the entire game, here's my take. The Lakers had lebron/kuzma playing the 4/5 together for portions of the game. Nurkic was struggling to keep up with McGee when he was sprinting end to end after rebounds, let alone anyone smaller. There is no way he could have played defense against the Lakers when they go small and how they push the pace. He will obviously get more run against traditional centers since the other Portland bigs are all on the skinny side and will get bullied in the paint. The coach may have also decided to give him some extra time on the bench after he picked up 3 DUMB fouls in less than 4 minutes to start the 3rd quarter. 2 were one handed pushes on guys when he was out of position. Collins was making nice passes, erased a ton of shots in the paint, and did enough on offense to require some attention from the defense.  Why would you mess with that dynamic just to risk everyone running circles around Nurk to see if he could score enough points to offset his lack of defense? Still turned in a nice line, would have liked to see a block, but nobody should be complaining considering the damage he did in limited minutes. Collins is more of a threat to his minutes than last year, but the loss of Davis should still work out that Nurk has a higher upside for minutes and therefore output compared to last season. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, adifferentlogik said:

Sometimes you have to look at the game outside of fantasy. Besides the fact that this is just one game and that Nurkic was in foul trouble which reduced his minutes it is also about matchups. Lakers were going small with Kuz at the 5 which is not a good match up for Nurkic. It’s really that simple. 

I realize that too, but why did they not put him in when Javale came back in the game? I can even understand a reduction in minutes due to matchups, but to sit him out almost the entire 2nd half when he was having a dominating game??? You don't see someone like Marc Gasol being benched in that scenario. I realize he is a much better defensive player, but its not like he is much quicker on his feet than Nurk where he can deal with Kuzma a lot better.  The main point is Stotts never fully trusted Nurk and never will, regardless of the matchups or whether he is in foul trouble or not. 

5 minutes ago, barbosa said:

Except that there was: Collins was playing extremely well.  

Nurk was playing extremely well when he was on the court as well and he is your starting center that you just signed to a 4 year extension. Usually, that means you should put more trust in your player than Stotts does.  If this was a one time thing, I would have no problem with it. But there is a pattern of behavior here. Stotts has always done this with Nurk.

7 minutes ago, magic32 said:

Nurk was playing extremely well when he was on the court as well and he is your starting center that you just signed to a 4 year extension. Usually, that means you should put more trust in your player than Stotts does.  If this was a one time thing, I would have no problem with it. But there is a pattern of behavior here. Stotts has always done this with Nurk.

So you are a very bad fantasy manager if you drafted a player that you know will be benched so easily. You can take your L, drop Nurk and stop this lunacy,.

2 minutes ago, RipCity0 said:

So you are a very bad fantasy manager if you drafted a player that you know will be benched so easily. You can take your L, drop Nurk and stop this lunacy,.

nice try, smart@ss. I got him at a decent draft position and needed a big man. Even if he mirrors what he did last year, i would be fine with it. The reason why this sucks is we know the POTENTIAL that Nurk has if only Stotts would trust him and not F with his minutes. 

8 minutes ago, magic32 said:

nice try, smart@ss. I got him at a decent draft position and needed a big man. Even if he mirrors what he did last year, i would be fine with it. The reason why this sucks is we know the POTENTIAL that Nurk has if only Stotts would trust him and not F with his minutes. 

Maybe just maybe he wanted to win the game and didn't care about your fantasy team. I guess he succeeded with Zach posting +24.

14 hours ago, dboywong said:

17 minutes because of foul trouble. He did well while he was on the floor though. Collins is clearly a better defensive option, which is a concern because they might play him over Nurk in close games. 

Collins is a garbage defender and wasn't good last night either, did you watch the game? nurkic was worse but he's always been inconsistent

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, richg24 said:

Nurk looked good last night. Minutes were limited because it's the lakers and they play small and fast and he also was in foul trouble throughout. this is the most positive thing you can see...overcoming low minutes and foul trouble and still producing a very useful line. very positive imo. future looks bright. 

he couldn't even take advantage when kuzma was defending him. i hope people reading this thread can tell who is making s--- up from reading box scores

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, panthers93 said:

he couldn't even take advantage when kuzma was defending him. i hope people reading this thread can tell who is making s--- up from reading box scores

So because he didn't take advantage of one defender guarding him he didnt play well? That's your logic? No one cares if he didnt do one specific thing well when he puts up a solid line. We only care about production. 

Looks good to me. 

• Confused 1

12 minutes ago, panthers93 said:

The damn guy had 16/9 in 17min lol, not much to really read into. Any1 who could put up that line in 16 min, I don't know what other conclusions to draw and yea i watched the game. 

7 minutes ago, richg24 said:

So because he didn't take advantage of one defender guarding him he didnt play well? That's your logic? No one cares if he didnt do one specific thing well when he puts up a solid line. We only care about production. 

Looks good to me.

Posting a highlight video, yeah, that's definitive proof that you watched the game.

Nurkic was pretty good but he should've posted up Kuzma every single possession when they were matched up against one another. The Lakers helped onto him well because he was indecisive. The offense was much better with Collins on the floor.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, panthers93 said:

Collins is a garbage defender and wasn't good last night either, did you watch the game? nurkic was worse but he's always been inconsistent

Collins is absolutely NOT a garbage defender, defence is his best trait. Clearly you’ve not seen him play and must be a lakers fan to have some bias against him after yesterday because his defence was incredible. 

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Boogie Buckets said:

Collins is absolutely NOT a garbage defender, defence is his best trait. Clearly you’ve not seen him play and must be a lakers fan to have some bias against him after yesterday because his defence was incredible. 

Collins is slow and can't defend the perimeter. He's about as good at protecting the rim as Spencer Hawes was. He's bad defensively at both frontcourt spots, and good offensively because he can shoot and has some skill in the post. You have no clue what you're talking about.

Edited by miasma16
  • Like 1